PDA

View Full Version : Thinking out Loud, What if?

Gtek
08-07-2011, 10:41 AM
Every time I go to slug I can never easily find right pill. Elliptical fishing weights are a pain to push, balls are sometimes tough to read. What about taking a 4 or 6 hole alum mold of small diam. and boring to oversize holes. Pinning bottoms that would accept a 10-32 thread. Lathe turn and make .063" to .125" brass washers smaller than bore as
push face for slug. Thread end of the rod and secure pill. Centered, stable, and .375" to .500" for good read. Could also be used to lap bore. Gtek

geargnasher
08-07-2011, 11:02 AM
Lots of people make slug moulds by drilling holes in hardwood boards and filling them with lead, then splitting the board to get the slugs out. Drilling holes in metal, large hole for the slug, small hole all the way through for an ejection rod, works too.

Gear

mooman76
08-07-2011, 11:16 AM
What geargnasher said. Balls arent that hard to read but they need to be big enough to get a good area to measure.

Gtek
08-07-2011, 03:41 PM
That is why I think out loud. The German in me must over engineer, overspend, and usually ends up heavy. My OCD shines through again! Thanks, Gtek

MT Gianni
08-07-2011, 09:15 PM
As far as a push slug I find a gc the next size under works wonders. An annealed one the same size works almost as well.