PDA

View Full Version : Lee Pro 1000 Bullet Feed Question

41 mag fan
08-07-2011, 09:43 AM
I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I purchased a reconditioned Lee Pro 1000 in 223 off of Lees website. Looks like from the description it doesn't have the bullet feed. After going thru Lees site I cant seem to find it listed.
Does anyone know where I can locate and purchase one?
Thanks to all who can point me in the right direction.

jmorris
08-07-2011, 10:19 AM
I think they are only for pistol rounds. It really doesn't matter much they are not even worth the low price they charge for them. The one I had never worked 100%. I now have GSI and KISS feeders that both work very well. I haven't used the new Hornady one yet but haven't heard many bad reviews about the feeder just the collator. That brings up another point, there is no collator for the LEE. Even if it did work there is little point in a bullet feeder if you still have to put them into a tube one at a time by hand.

41 mag fan
08-07-2011, 10:30 AM
The Pro 1000 will load 223 rounds. The KISS and GSI are for Dillion and Hornady's.

geargnasher
08-07-2011, 11:11 AM
I just looked in Lee's current catalog, they list seven different complete feed kits, but the smallest is .30 caliber.

Gear

jmorris
08-07-2011, 03:06 PM
The KISS fits standard die threads

noylj
08-07-2011, 08:57 PM
I hope that you will understand my position.
Back when I loaded on the Hornady L-N-L (I have used a Hornady progressive since they first came out in late '70s), I never considered a case feeder or bullet feeder. Too expensive, too problematic, and not enough increase in production to be worth it.
Over the last few years, I have "fallen" into deals on several Dillon 1050s and my son decided to start reloading, so my wife "volunteered" my L-N-L to him.
Over the past year or so (NOT while I was using the L-N-L), I have developed a shake in my left hand when I try to do precise, small muscle jobs (like seating a bullet). Because of this, I have been using the Lee Bullet Feeder on my 1050s. If I could set them up to work automatically, I would.
I simply drop 4-6 bullets into the "die) and hand cycle it to seat the bullets. I find that the bullet feeders work very well. I can see some problems with "automatic" operation and wish there was some easy way to fill the tubes. But since I am not using the tubes and I am not in auto mode, they work very well. All my left hand has to do is grab a bullet, orient it, and drop it in the die.
You may state that you see no use for something, but that does not mean that there is no use for anyone.
I would NEVER consider spending money on a bullet feeder and bullet dies. You may. I never would. I also would hate to lose my RCBS Lock-Out die for a die that simply places a bullet on the case. For these reasons, I am happy with the performance of the Lee Bullet Feeder, particularly at the price point it is offered.

noylj
08-07-2011, 08:59 PM
PS: The way the Lee Bullet Feed works, you need a bullet that can easily stand up on its own. Otherwise, they will simply drop out of the "die."
Besides, don't you want to use your $200+ microment and co-ax bullet seating die rather than a $20 Lee unit for your precision rifle loads?

jmorris
08-08-2011, 09:21 AM
I never considered a case feeder or bullet feeder. Too expensive, too problematic, and not enough increase in production to be worth it.

I understand how you are using the Lee feeder you are not getting any increase in production, instead of setting the bullet on the case, you are dropping it into the feeder then manually activating the feeder. I see how it helps seat with a little shake but you are still adding steps.

This video is what I think it should look like in use, 100 rounds of .223 in 2.5 minutes.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/th_1050.jpg (http://s121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/?action=view&current=1050.mp4)

and wish there was some easy way to fill the tubes.

I have made my own collators out of PVC pipe and 1/2" plastic. They are cheap to build and work exactly like the $500 ones. The hard part is made simple with an easy to build fixture.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/reloading/bullet%20feeder/DSC01472.jpg

I also would hate to lose my RCBS Lock-Out die for a die that simply places a bullet on the case.

For my pistol loads, I generally use small charges of fast powder vs generally compressed loads in rifle, I agree. That is why I prefer the GSI feeders but they are specific to the Dillon machines.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/reloading/bullet%20feeder/feeder1.jpg

41 mag fan
08-08-2011, 10:46 AM
Lee called me about a question on my address, why i have no clue. I've ordered from them several times with no problems.
But I asked about the bullet feeder & for the 223 they dont make one. So I guess it'll be handloaded.
That Kiss fits stndard dies, but wouldn't that do away with one of my stations?

Guess I'd better do some more research on this issue

jmorris
08-08-2011, 11:51 AM
Yes, the kiss would take away a station. Scarch sold a bullet feeder that held bullets the same as the LEE feeder but was not built from flimsy plastic, was pneumatic operated and adjustable for tension. It also cost over $1000 IIRC.

41 mag fan
08-08-2011, 01:25 PM
Yes, the kiss would take away a station. Scarch sold a bullet feeder that held bullets the same as the LEE feeder but was not built from flimsy plastic, was pneumatic operated and adjustable for tension. It also cost over $1000 IIRC.

I'd spend that much I'd just go with a Dillon. I've got alot to load, which I can do a few k's at a time till I've got them done. Handloading the bullets wont cause me much pains just more time.

Farmall
08-08-2011, 03:03 PM
I saw tons of bad news regarding these on Midway's site, and in the forums...so I kinda took it as a challenge to get one and make it work. Much to my chagrin (?) the one I got worked flawlessly, I now own 3 of these and don't have any issues, provided I do my part to keep things full and somewhat clean.
The only tip I can add is to lube the slider with spray silicone lube...

Andy

FLDad
08-08-2011, 04:58 PM
Strange how some folks have nothing but bad to report about Lee while others never have a problem. I own some of their presses and I'm in the no-problem camp. I guess a little knowledge goes a long way -- even though I don't own a Pro1000, I have watched several videos about them, thanks to Cowboy T. It does seem that those presses, and the LoadMaster, require a bit of setting up. Some folks are okay with that. Some aren't. For me, a little adjusting is no sweat if I'm saving 50-80% compared to other brands and producing good loads.

jmorris
08-08-2011, 06:16 PM
It is likey to be the plastic "mix" used from batch to batch. With zero adjustment to hold the bullet better that would be all it takes.

Others have a positive way of holding the bullet and the Lee its all in the arms.

noylj
08-09-2011, 11:34 PM
jmorris: assuming you are referring to the Lee Bullet Feeder. Lee tells you that if the bullets start to fall out or you have some other problem with the feed lips, to put them in hot water for a while. Don't remember the exact instructions. I've got a few 1000 rounds using the LBF for .38 Super and I just started to get a couple of bullet slipping out

jmorris
08-10-2011, 09:17 AM
jmorris: assuming you are referring to the Lee Bullet Feeder. Lee tells you that if the bullets start to fall out or you have some other problem with the feed lips, to put them in hot water for a while. Don't remember the exact instructions. I've got a few 1000 rounds using the LBF for .38 Super and I just started to get a couple of bullet slipping out

The slipping out problem was the one I had. I also was using 230g 45's so I didn't even make it to a few 1000 before problems.

I recall something about the hot water idea but just went with feeders that would work. When I run large batches I go through 2-4 thousand pretty quick. If I had to stop, take the die out to go cook the feeder to make it work...well you loose any speed advantage.

Frozone
08-10-2011, 11:57 AM
The slipping out problem was the one I had. I also was using 230g 45's so I didn't even make it to a few 1000 before problems.

I recall something about the hot water idea but just went with feeders that would work. When I run large batches I go through 2-4 thousand pretty quick. If I had to stop, take the die out to go cook the feeder to make it work...well you loose any speed advantage.

You can use the small feed finger for the bigger boolit it works fine and holds tighter.

Also, you don't need to remove the die, one screw and the feed fingers come off for boiling. just keep a second set of the $2 fingers around, you loose 30 sec per change. You sure you've used this thing or are you just a LEE hater?