PDA

View Full Version : where do you get the slugs to slug your barrel ?

mac1911
08-07-2011, 01:00 AM
OK so where do you get them and what size do you use ?
There has not been soft lead sinkers in my area for a long time.

Bucolic
08-07-2011, 01:29 AM
Well, what I did was to cast up a bunch of boolits out of pure lead and just drive em through the bore. Used a wooden dowel and it worked fine. Found out one of my 9m.m.s was really .357 and the other was .352.
Anyway, worked fine for me.
As far as what size to use, just use one that's larger than the bore.

frnkeore
08-07-2011, 04:09 AM
Round balls work very well for sluging. They are pure lead and push through as easy as anything you'll find. Ofcouse they have to be larger that your groove size to start. I'd suggest at least .010 larger.

Frank

Multigunner
08-07-2011, 06:19 AM
If you don't have a mold for bullets of a larger caliber than the bore you want to slug theres the 00 Buckshot for sluging bores of .30 up to 8mm.
I kept a few that I'd taken from an old 12 ga shell that was too old to be trusted to fire.

Round balls intended for Cap&Ball revolvers come in conveniant sizes. But unless you have a C&B pistol buying a box of round balls is a bit expensive.

You could make a single use mold by drilling a blind hole of the proper size in a piece wood.

grullaguy
08-07-2011, 09:13 AM
I have been using my hand drill and boring a shallow hole in a piece of wood. I use a bit that is slightly bigger than the bore I am going to size.
I pour soft lead in the hole and when it cools, I carefully split the wood with a hatchet. The slug is crude looking but it swages down to the interior of the barrel. Make sure the hole is shallow or you will have to use excessive force to get the slug down the bore.

I use a bore lube and short pieces of doweling to get the slug through the bore.

Armorer
08-07-2011, 09:13 AM
You could make a single use mold by drilling a blind hole of the proper size in a piece wood.

Now that is a stellar idea! I had to do some searching at the local sporting goods chain and at Walmart, but finally found ACTUAL LEAD sinkers in variety of sizes. I must not fish as much as I did when I was younger and poorer because I hadn't noticed that many of the sinkers are now steel.
Drilling appropriate sized holes in a 2x4 etc really sounds like a great idea for slugs though.

Armorer

adrians
08-07-2011, 09:38 AM
what multigunner said : "00 buck" for .30 to 8mm ,
a slight tap on the shot will flatten it for use in something a little bigger.
get an older shell bust it open carefully and get your lead slugs.:evil::bigsmyl2::twisted:

Hang Fire
08-07-2011, 02:24 PM
Take the bore diameter, then select over sized drill and make hole all the way though in most any material (I use 1" thick aluminum bar) that can handle the heat. Melt soft lead and pour into hole (blocked one side), punch out the slug and good to go.

chuebner
08-07-2011, 03:49 PM
Rather than reinvent the wheel, I simply took some Lee C309-160 boolits and whacked then on the nose on the anvil portion of my vise. Boolits got shorter and fatter. I quit when they reached .318. Grease them up an bore slug away.
I also have a box of 32cal roundball and they work quite well.
charlie

high standard 40
08-07-2011, 03:55 PM
Rather than reinvent the wheel, I simply took some Lee C309-160 boolits and whacked then on the nose on the anvil portion of my vise. Boolits got shorter and fatter. I quit when they reached .318. Grease them up an bore slug away.
I also have a box of 32cal roundball and they work quite well.
charlie

This is kinda what I do also. I just cast some pure lead bullets for the barrel I wish to slug and "bump them up" with a hammer. It does not take much impact to do this. Then lube them and the barrel well and drive them through.

perimedik
08-08-2011, 04:41 PM
I Too used OO buck pellets for my 30 cal rifles.

canyon-ghost
08-08-2011, 06:28 PM
Or you can get them from Veral at LBT: http://lbtmoulds.com/moulds.shtml

dragonrider
08-08-2011, 07:35 PM
I usually hammer a 45 round ball in a roughly round elongated shape that is bigger than the bore I plan to slug.

mooman76
08-08-2011, 08:41 PM
I shoot allot of different cal. MLs so naturally I have a good selection of roundball moulds to make slugs.

Blammer
08-09-2011, 05:27 PM
I just use whatever boolit I'm casting for that particular caliber, i use WW AC and lube well with oil and carefully tap them in with a wooden dowel then tap out. I only do the throat area and a tad bit into the bore.

mold maker
08-09-2011, 07:54 PM
I gently squeez soft cast boolits in a vice to get the required dia. That way I can repeat it, and without crooked ends

Herb in Pa
08-11-2011, 11:02 AM
For my 30 calibers I use 32 Cal swaged lead pistol bullets from Hornady.......plenty soft and already lubed.

wallenba
08-11-2011, 11:12 AM
Soft lead is, well...where you can find it. Late one night, wanting to slug a barrel I resorted to peeling the jacket off a 44 magnum sp. Then I banged it with a hammer until it would fit in a
.357 H&I die and I swaged it so it could be pushed through a 91/30 Mosin. Later while ordering from Midway I added a variety of lead round balls from the black powder section. If they are too small, I just bump them with a hammer to fatten them up.