PDA

View Full Version : The wait begins!

GARCIA
08-06-2011, 11:38 AM
Bought a NIB 1886 Winchester/Miroku that was a first production run here two weeks ago. It showed up at Turnbulls today but they are closed so they will have it on Monday.

Turnbull is going to work it's magic on it and I should have it in my grubby hands in 4-5 weeks. Can not wait!!!

Going to have the safety and rebounding hammer removed, reblued and period correct color case hardened. It's also being rechambered to 45-90.

My boys can now quit fighting over who is going to get their great-great grandfathers 86 Winchester! The youngest son will get the Turnbull.

Will post pictures when it get's in!

Tom

MtGun44
08-06-2011, 12:36 PM
Sounds like you will be getting a wonderful machine. My Extra Light Miroku is beautifully made
but a bit marginal on reliability, even after reworking the hammer strut. Getting it put back
to original design is the right thing to do. I met Turnbull about 10-15 yrs ago when he was
relatively unknown, at a gun show. I was just looking at the tables and then there were
these Winchesters laying there. They were just incredibly beautiful. I was in awe, and
looked them over for a couple of minutes, finally saying something stupid like "These are
really amazing." as I looked up and this guy with round wire-rimmed glasses was right there
looking at me admiring his rifles, we were face to face about 3 ft away. And I recovered
and said "But of course, you already knew that." I then asked "What ARE these? - mint
old Winchesters, new repros or refurbished?" He said, "They're original Winchesters that
I have restored." I was flabbergasted. We had a nice little talk and I went away thinking,
this guy is going to be famous someday, because he is SO good at what he does.

You will be extremely pleased with the workmanship when you get your gun, believe me.

Bill