PDA

View Full Version : Lead-free solder?

Tatume
08-06-2011, 07:46 AM
Recently I saw lead-free solder components identified as 97% tin, 2% copper, and the remainder antimony and silver. What effect would the copper have on bullets?

Stampede
08-06-2011, 09:21 AM
In my opinion, not a whole lot.

It’s just a trace amount of copper, the copper it self is an excellent material for bullets as we all know. I assume that you mix this solder with the lead to make your bullets, diluting the copper parts even more. So there is nothing to worry about, just use it.:smile:

Peter (Stampede)

Hardcast416taylor
08-06-2011, 10:09 AM
I`ve been using the lead- less solder since it first came on the market as the "safe" solder for plumbing. For a full RCBS pot of alloy I add about 1 ft. off a roll. If results warrant more, then I`ll add more 6" of it at a time. Being a retired plumber I used this stuff alot therefore I have a good deal of partial rolls around to use. I can`t say I can see any problems with the trace other elements in the solder in the pot alloy or the final cast bullets.Robert

troy_mclure
08-06-2011, 01:11 PM
it and pewter are how i get my tin. you can sometimes find it on ebay cheap.

Defcon-One
08-07-2011, 09:43 PM
None at all!

If you add 3 ounces of your lead-free solder to 10 lbs. of COWW Lead you'll get about 2% Tin in the mix. The Copper content will only be .04% which is way to low to have any effect at all, good or bad!