PDA

View Full Version : Melting pot wall thickness?

Ugluk
08-06-2011, 04:59 AM
I'm planning to add a new special pot to my casting setup. As I do most of my bulk casting with Lee 6-cavs I'm thinking of making a rather high capacity bottom pour with foot pedal and six spouts to complement my existing homemade pot.
I've got 3 500w heating elements, but the issue is really wether the section of pipe I've got is too thick walled at 1/4".
Anyone use such heavy section pipe, or would it be to inefficient? I don't want to spend all that wattage just heating iron.

Thoughts?

mold maker
08-06-2011, 06:54 AM
I can't speak to the pipe thickness/heat issue, but the 6 pour spout idea is very problematic.
The idea is good, but very hard to get 6 even pours at one time. Using 6 valves, or one with a 6 spout drop will each create their own set of problems.
Been there,tried that, and didn't get it done.
Good luck, and let us know.

Ugluk
08-06-2011, 07:12 AM
Thanks for your input Moldmaker. I have a feeling there will be issues, but I still think I'm going to give it a try with six independantly adjustable valves.

blikseme300
08-06-2011, 04:27 PM
Ugluk,

Subscribed.

I tried multiple spouts but no matter what I tried it never worked. I now modify my sprue plates on my Lee six-bangers to assist with fast casting. I can pour without waiting as my pot contains 70+ lbs of melt and never drops temperature when the fresh cut sprues are added to the pot.

If you do manage to succeed in your quest please let us know as I am interested.

Bliksem

(edited typo)

Springfield
08-06-2011, 05:17 PM
Does cooking with a nice cast iron frying pan work worse than a thinner pan? I think not. Once it is heated up it should disperse heat more evenly and be less sensitive to adding ingots as it retains more heat
due to increased mass. I have a Magma pot and the double spouts work well. I am planning on making a 3 and 4 spout addition soon to see how it works.

CollinLeon
06-01-2012, 03:03 PM
I recently stumbled across a small piece of 8" schedule 80 steel pipe and a 1/2" steel plate that was just slightly larger than the OD of the pipe. 8" schedule 80 has a 1/2" wall thickness. I figure that even a crude welder like myself can weld half inch steel together without burning through it! My only "challenge" will be ensuring that my welds are good enough that the pot doesn't leak...

I'm not sure whether I should use it for a small smelting pot or as a large casting pot though... The Lee pot that I have is a 20 lb one and I believe that this one would work out to be around 60 lbs if filled all the way up... That might be a bit small for a smelting pot, but it would work out pretty good for a casting pot for when I'm casting bullets for my .45-70 or the 6-cavity 230 gr bullets for my .45.

shadowcaster
06-01-2012, 08:21 PM
The multiple bottom pour does sound problematic. If you can get it to work, we would all like to see it. As to the thickness of the pipe, thicker just means stronger and once heated will hold the heat just fine. The bottom pour smelting pot I built has 1/4 inch thick walls and a capacity of over 300# molten lead. Works great!

Shad

Texasflyboy
06-01-2012, 09:39 PM
Here is mine:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=5126&highlight=diary

Three 1500 watt stove elements. Runs off my 220v dryer circuit. Pulls 18 Amps. Been working perfectly for more than 6 years.

CollinLeon
06-01-2012, 09:56 PM
Here is mine:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=5126&highlight=diary

Three 1500 watt stove elements. Runs off my 220v dryer circuit. Pulls 18 Amps. Been working perfectly for more than 6 years.

You need to edit your post with the links to the photos to reflect where they are currently stored.

Texasflyboy
06-01-2012, 10:15 PM
You need to edit your post with the links to the photos to reflect where they are currently stored.

The very last post shows the current website:

http://hgmould.gunloads.com/newpot/instructions.htm

The original website was closed years ago. The board software does not allow editing of the op due to age.

CollinLeon
06-02-2012, 12:17 AM
The original website was closed years ago. The board software does not allow editing of the op due to age.

I wonder what the limit is on going back and editing previous messages... I've gone back and corrected the spelling on fairly old messages of mine before...