PDA

View Full Version : Boolit Lube, One more time,

Navahojoe
01-17-2007, 11:37 PM
Hi Folks,
I just gotta ask about this. I shot about 100 rounds of 45 Colt this afternoon into an old red oak stump, dug out five of the boolits just for the heck of it. Lo and behold, the LUBE was still in the grooves. The rifling mark is on the boolits, but to my surprize, I have NO Leading in the revolver. If I remember correctly, I read that Ed Harris, was shooting cast in a revolver with no lube at all, and no leading.
My boolits were 200gr. #2 alloy, sized to .452 and lubed with homemade lube. My cylinder throats mike at .451, my barrel, at .450, 5 1/2" barrel

Am I doing something wrong, or something right?

regards,
NavahoJoe

felix
01-17-2007, 11:44 PM
NavahoJoe, you sorta' answered your own question by default. It's the number 2 alloy that protected your barrel internals. Start increasing the speed, assuming you have a magnum built gun, and the lube will begin to show its true colors. ... felix

Navahojoe
01-18-2007, 12:01 AM
Thanks for the reply Felix,
Will speed it up to see what is going on.
regards,
NavahoJoe

carpetman
01-18-2007, 12:30 AM
Navahojoe--Are you doing something right or something wrong? Something wrong. You are not getting any leading. This will exclude you from a lot of topics of discussion--how to clean leading,how to prevent leading,etc. So you need to get some leading so you will be able to join in. Try taking a torch to your barrel before shooting--if no leading torch some more.

357maximum
01-18-2007, 12:56 AM
Navahojoe--Are you doing something right or something wrong? Something wrong. You are not getting any leading. This will exclude you from a lot of topics of discussion--how to clean leading,how to prevent leading,etc. So you need to get some leading so you will be ble to join in. Try taking a torch to your barrel before shooting--if no leading torch some more.

Hate to say this aloud.....I agree with carpetman...

The other answer is a question....was you satisfied with the results?... if so ...ther ya go...ya did something right....

..shooting cast does not have to be rocket science... It can quite simply be one totally content individual out blasting away at a stump with quality handloads made from quality boolits.... despite what some would have you believe it CAN be that simple....

ARKANSAS PACKRAT
01-18-2007, 11:03 AM
I agree with 357 MAX, I killed lots of stumps and rocks with my SBH, no lead, don't know what It'd group, don't care, good fun. That's what this is about, find what YOU enjoy and go no.
nick

Ricochet
01-18-2007, 03:35 PM
Shooting groups on paper is OK for seeing what a new gun or load can do, but doesn't hold my interest for long. I like to see cans bounce and dirt clods fly. Cow pies are even better.

357maximum
01-18-2007, 03:39 PM
I like to see cans bounce and dirt clods fly. Cow pies are even better.

Do it in front of a fan...and ejoy the **** hitting the fan for once.....[smilie=1:

Bodydoc447
01-18-2007, 04:01 PM
My friend/co-conspirator Scott and I took his .454 Redhawk out one afternoon. I spotted the ever ellusive semi-solid cowplop. At a range of twenty yards I levelled the beast in my sights before it could charge. After the shot the only sound was that of cow dung raining from the skies. For fully two seconds. Now I only hunt for the common dried cowpie. It is much safer. And easier to get into the house after shooting.

Doc

Diamond-City-Bob
01-18-2007, 09:29 PM
Standing around the pasture with a bunch of friends, Shooting the $**^!

Navahojoe
01-18-2007, 10:27 PM
Didn't mention it, but the 44 mag put the boolits in the dern stump too far to dig out easily with an axe. Couldnt tell if the lube was still in the grooves on those homemade cast boolits, but no leading in it either. The .44 mag that is, plenty of lead in the stump. About 200 rounds. Lets see, 100rd of 200gr .45 colt and 100 rds of 255 gr , 44Mag ., that adds up to ? Plenty of lead. Thanks for the replys, Gentlemen, and the rest of you folks.
regards,
NavahoJoe

yodar
01-20-2007, 06:39 PM
Ed Harris has blessed a list I attend with his presence, as has Norm Johnson.

A shibboleth they both offer is BULLET FIT ... Bullet Fit is NUMBER ONE factor in leading prevention.

The gentlman who opened this thread has proper bullet fit and if it aint broke dont fixet, BUT WRITE IT DOWN and share it with us and include your SLUGGING data.

I make my own lube and DONT over push my bullets, and CAN use them without lube according to Norman Johnsons' thinking, but I get some kinda joy using the luber sizer and adding value to my boolets with a nice lube and boxing them up.

yodar

Navahojoe
01-21-2007, 10:58 PM
Simply took a slightly oversized fishing sinker, a wooden dowel small enough to slide down the bore easily, a lead hammer, a good shot of Kroil in the barrel and on the sinker, tapped the sinker gently into the barrel to start and then drove it all the way thru the bore. Same thing on the cylinder, each hole, for a total of 7 lead sinkers. Took my digital micrometer and measured the largest diamenter of the slugs to find the diameter of barrel and throat of cylinder. Made sure that the mold I ordered from Midway cast a bigger boolit, bought a used RCBS lubisizer off Ebay, ordered .452 sizing die from Graf's, made me some homemade lube. kinda like FWFL. Then I cast some boolits using Lymans fomula for #2 alloy. Sized, lubed, and loaded, and shot them. And enjoyed every dern minute of it.

BUT! Somewhere along the line, we missed the point of my question. THE LUBE was still in the grooves of the boolits when I dug them out of the stump. The boolits were comprressed to be sure, so that the lube groove was smaller, but the lube didnt come out of the groove. WHY? And if no lube was used by the boolit traveling down the bore, and no leading in the barrel, what is the purpose of LUBE? After having read of the rotational forces on a boolit after it fired, I would have bet a dollar that the lube was gone before I looked at those boolits.

Navahojoe
01-21-2007, 10:59 PM
To continue, Did I do something wrong or something right, because the lube was still in the boolit when I dug it out of the stump! Should the lube still be on the boolit or not?

Ricochet
01-21-2007, 11:02 PM
Yes. Of course.

ron brooks
01-21-2007, 11:19 PM
I agree with Ricochet totally on this. :-)

Yes. Of course.