PDA

View Full Version : Outstanding Service! Rotometals

Sonnypie
08-05-2011, 04:30 PM
I occasionally order stuff over the Internet.
I HATE shipping fees added on. And when I get slow service, I rarely order from those again.
This morning I decided to order some alloy for my new fetish since my furnace, mold, and sizing die arrived yesterday. I melted most of my heavy ocean weights and added solder to get some "reinforced" lead.
Cleaned, checked, and smoked my new mold and began to play. Cast up a nice starter set of boolits.
So I am in need of alloy. I decided to give Rotometals a gander and ordered 35 pounds of Lyman #2 mix for my initial pile.
Later I go to my spam filter and there are two emails from Rotometals....
1. Is an Order Confirmation email. Cool I thought. No surprise there.
2. Is "Your Order has Shipped..." with USPS Priority number and all. 8-)

Now get this: The emails were sent at
1. 9:14 AM
2. 9:24 AM
10 minutes between receiving the order, and having it ready to go in the mail USPS Priority.
(Whenever I ship anything out, USPS Priority is my preferred method. If it fits, it ships, up to 70 pounds.)

I am extremely impressed with Rotometals. And will be apt to order more from them. ;-)
I made sure they knew I found them here on Cast Boolits. :coffeecom

Wally
08-05-2011, 04:45 PM
Glad that you are pleased with them.

They cheapest bullet alloy they sell is @ $2.59 a pound...to make a 158 grain bullet would cost you 5.85¢ for the metal alone..I can buy ready made cast bullets for that, that are cast of a harder alloy. No offense to Rotometals, as they are a good sponser, but it makes no sense IMHO...

Note: I did not factor in shipping...

white eagle
08-05-2011, 05:28 PM
good score from Roto
I have bought from the as well great service
Geese Wall so you can buy ready made boolits
making them yourself is a great accomplishment and You Have the final say
as to what goes down your barrel
IMHO...

bumpo628
08-05-2011, 11:33 PM
Glad that you are pleased with them.

They cheapest bullet alloy they sell is @ $2.59 a pound...to make a 158 grain bullet would cost you 5.85¢ for the metal alone..I can buy ready made cast bullets for that, that are cast of a harder alloy. No offense to Rotometals, as they are a good sponser, but it makes no sense IMHO...

Note: I did not factor in shipping...

Well, the main point of the OP was about fast service. I don't think I've ever heard about anyone processing an order in 10 minutes - that is ridiculous. I think it is always nice to have a good selection of alloys at hand so that you can try out different things to see what works for you.

I checked missouri bullet, mastercast, and berry's and I couldn't find anything less than 6 cents per bullet. Do you have a link? Btw, rotometals gives free shipping on purchases higher than $99. I don't know any bullet sellers that do that. At the price he paid for Lyman #2, that bullet in your example would be 6.5 cents. The cheapest I could find was 6.7 cents without shipping included.

In any case, as White Eagle said when you cast your own you can control all of the variables. Even if the price was a bit more, it would be worth it.

Wally
08-06-2011, 10:00 AM
Well, the main point of the OP was about fast service. I don't think I've ever heard about anyone processing an order in 10 minutes - that is ridiculous. I think it is always nice to have a good selection of alloys at hand so that you can try out different things to see what works for you.

I checked missouri bullet, mastercast, and berry's and I couldn't find anything less than 6 cents per bullet. Do you have a link? Btw, rotometals gives free shipping on purchases higher than $99. I don't know any bullet sellers that do that. At the price he paid for Lyman #2, that bullet in your example would be 6.5 cents. The cheapest I could find was 6.7 cents without shipping included.

In any case, as White Eagle said when you cast your own you can control all of the variables. Even if the price was a bit more, it would be worth it.

I'll PM the website on Monday...not at home today...

metweezer
08-06-2011, 10:45 AM
http://www.rotometals.com/product-p/lyman2bulletmetal.htm

mac1911
08-06-2011, 11:04 AM
I will go out on a limb and say Roto has many USPS flat rate boxes ready to ship. I purchased shot from them a few years ago. It wasnt 1o minutes but I did get order confirmation and shipped emails with in a few hours and had my shot 2 days later.

MikeS
08-07-2011, 04:50 AM
Even if buying the lead cost more than buying cast bullets, I would still cast my own boolits simply because I can control most everything about them. I can choose what size to size them to, how hard or soft the alloy is, etc. Not to mention the fact that casting my own boolits is enjoyable in it's own right. Much more satisfying to cast up a bunch of boolits, as opposed to just opening a box of store bought bullets! I just added it up, and the Lyman #2 alloy that I make here cost me an average of around $1.75/lb which is only $1.14 cheaper than RotoMetals price, and I get to have nice little 1lb ingots that say 'Cast Boolits' on them! Can't get that from RotoMetals!

Sonnypie
08-07-2011, 11:50 PM
Yeah, OK guys.
My point was the fast service. I really appreciate folks who do a good job with whatever they are selling.
I thought that being brand new to actual boolit casting, getting some metal that was blended professionally would be a better way for me to start out.
Sure, I can add 2 and 2 and make my own blends. Already have.
But I was really impressed with a 10 minute turn around.
Although being a shipper myself, I could have my USPS program open and fire up a label in 10 minutes before the box is actually even packed.
I just think it was pretty darned pro of them to take care of business that quick.
And I even emailed them telling them so.
Tomorrow I expect the package. Darn weekend got in the way. [smilie=1:

But one of the Son's got married, and lots of Family stuff all day Saturday and today. So the furnace is cold anyway.

I'm casting 120 Grain in 30 cal for reduced loads for plinking and getting the Grandson and a Nephew into High Power shooting.
35# ought to yield about 2000 boolits for us.
If I don't get a heavier boolit mold. :roll:
But I have a pet load I really like for the 30-06.

Rice-n-Beans
08-08-2011, 12:03 AM
Rotometals ROCKS! I am a happy customer so far, bought my thermometer and ladle from them and both arrived fast. 8-)

9.3X62AL
08-08-2011, 12:30 AM
Sonny, I'm with you on giving props to Rotometals for their excellent service. And let's not forget that we're getting guaranteed assay and metallurgy in that price. I'm tired of messing with "mystery metal", most of which is over-priced by the bandits selling it. I'm WAY PAST TIRED of the "Toxic Substance Hustle" mantra the local tire stores preach when approached about wheelweights, too. No smelting, either--just put the ingots in the pot. Lots of hidden costs in the metals-gathering process, and my time is worth something--even in retirement.

Almost 6 cents per 38 caliber 158 SWC.......lots more than The Good Old Days when WW metal was free or next-to-nothing. But let's keep our perspectives in order. $72.98 for 100 Nosler Partition 180 grain 30 caliber bullets. 73 cents each, before shipping and all that fraudulent foofahrah that Bwana Larry & Co. attaches to his order sequence.

NosParts for the 9.3mm are substantially more than that. I'm casting soft-pointed 270 grain gas-checked boolits for my CZ-550 currently, and by my calcs the per-boolit cost is $0.128. To date, I have run these to almost 2100 FPS, and accuracy holds to 1.5 MOA at 200 yards. This cost factor uses Rotometals' current pricing. I'm still working the velocity upward to find its limit.

I'm almost--but not quite--to the point of saying "To hell with Nosler Partitions, and their buccaneer pricing". Gotta hit some critters with these BruceB Softpoints before running my mouth that brashly.

And YES, there's a Lee 200 grain 30 caliber mould that will get some R&D workups in the 30-06 with BruceB Brand castings. These already shoot quite well to 400 yards with aperture irons, they will get accellerated right along with the 9.3mm castings to see what their upper limits are--once the on-order Leup glassware is in place.

Wally
08-08-2011, 02:13 PM
I'll PM the website on Monday...not at home today...

Goto: www.Mastercast.net

Sonnypie
08-08-2011, 04:08 PM
Okey Dokey, Wally.
I did a run by and found almost exclusively pistol caliber bullets.
I did find one (1) .30 caliber bullet offered. At the bottom of the list. (http://www.mastercast.net/ftp.mastercast.net/TCJ_Bullets.html)
It was a 110 grain RN cast. It runs $105 per/ thousand.
Close to the price I paid for the 35 pounds of metal I purchased.

But, that 35 pounds of Lyman #2 formula will yield me over 2000 bullets. And many hours of fun in the shop with the Grandson casting them up, lubing them up, sizing them up, re-lubing them up, and finally... loading them up.

Otherwise, I would probably just buy jacketed bullets and miss a lot of fun. [smilie=p:

And this is Cast Boolits. Not "Who's got a deal" Boolits. :cbpour:

Dang prices of lead are tanking like the stock market. :(

Wally
08-08-2011, 04:43 PM
Okey Dokey, Wally.
I did a run by and found almost exclusively pistol caliber bullets.
I did find one (1) .30 caliber bullet offered. At the bottom of the list. (http://www.mastercast.net/ftp.mastercast.net/TCJ_Bullets.html)
It was a 110 grain RN cast. It runs $105 per/ thousand.
Close to the price I paid for the 35 pounds of metal I purchased.

But, that 35 pounds of Lyman #2 formula will yield me over 2000 bullets. And many hours of fun in the shop with the Grandson casting them up, lubing them up, sizing them up, re-lubing them up, and finally... loading them up.

Otherwise, I would probably just buy jacketed bullets and miss a lot of fun. [smilie=p:

Dang prices of lead are tanking like the stock market. :(

Ok--as long as you are happy..... If you have your own shooting range you can try to capture the bullets to reuse...that will help a great deal to defray the high cost of the lead alloy.

Sonnypie
08-08-2011, 05:02 PM
Oh Man! Do I ever wish I did have my own shootin range!
When I lived in Wyoming in the 1970's I practically did have my own.
I found an abandoned old pit mine I would shoot at. It had these rotten granite boulders in the pit walls for targets.
When you nailed one it disintegrated and the pieces rolled down. The ranges were 75 feet to 300 yards down at the far end.
I'd shoot a hundred or so rounds each time I'd go there to sharpen up.
It was the most fun a guy could have with his clothes on!

Yeah Wally, I think I'm happy with the purchase.
Thank You for the advise and the link. ;)

Wally
08-08-2011, 05:12 PM
Looks like you had a great setup in WY years ago. I have access to a farmers field road and I shoot into a sand hill. I can then shovel & sieve the sand and recover a good % of my lead to reuse again.

Nothing like plinking cans and steel plates on your own private range.

Glad that you are pleased w/your purchase...good shooting to you!

Sonnypie
08-08-2011, 05:19 PM
When you recover your lead like that, does the impurities float on top of the molten metal so you can skim it off?

9.3X62AL
08-08-2011, 05:33 PM
Sure does. After fluxing, it stirs out, surfaces, and ya spoon it off the top. Yes, I also retired from berm mining a while back.

Wally
08-08-2011, 05:37 PM
When you recover your lead like that, does the impurities float on top of the molten metal so you can skim it off?

Sure does...I put candle drippings on the top of lead when in the furnace--when it all melts I stir it all up and the gunk collects on the top--you just spoon it off and scrape the sides of the electric melter pot...

Boyscout
08-28-2011, 04:24 PM
I have purchased from Roto-metals a couple of times. I've purchased pure tin, pure antimony, and 70/30 Lead/Antimony. The pure antimony is very hard to melt in any volume. The service is great,

rbertalotto
08-28-2011, 04:36 PM
I use RM exclusively now for all my casting metals. Excellent consistancy that would be hard to duplicate on your own.

ColColt
08-28-2011, 04:48 PM
Another praise offering for RotoMetals. Not long ago I ordered some pure, unadulterated tin from them and some LT and it was at the door much quicker than most anything I've ever ordered. Moreover, the tin looked like glass.

MikeS
08-29-2011, 04:24 PM

My thoughts exactly! Unless it's personal protection, all shooting is about HOW it's done, not the final result. If it was just about the results, I could outshoot anyone here using a hole puncher as my 'gun'!:guntootsmiley:

GLL
08-29-2011, 04:37 PM
I use RotoMetals 70/30 as my antimony source. Great stuff and great service indeed ! :)

Jerry