PDA

View Full Version : Old lead shot, I thought

Beagler
08-05-2011, 02:01 PM
My uncle gave me a full box of old paperboard shells last year. I cut'em open got the shot out and just today got around to melting it down. They must have been European shell or where ever there from couldn't even make out the language on box. Well anyway, got the pot up to temp and poured them in. and waited and waited. tried stirring them in. even got out the propane torch and heated them. Nope!!! You could squish them in a pliers like soft lead but they would not melt. Forget it wasted time scooped them out in to the dross can fluxed and started casting. ??????

Wally
08-05-2011, 02:05 PM
Probably pure lead---melt while in the pot with a propane torch... almost pure lead has a high melting point...

Wayne Smith
08-05-2011, 02:49 PM
Probably covered in graphite. This insulates them.

fryboy
08-05-2011, 03:17 PM
add to the above ...

i often melt shot down to blend with my alloys , this includes old corroded shot i find at garage sales , with the nasty looking shot being cheaper usually i of course snag it when i can , many times i have had to physically smush it to get it to melt , yes it's more work but the benefits are worth it , as wayne pointed out about the graphite the corrosion also acts as a insulator , i usually also double flux once melted

Beagler
08-05-2011, 11:57 PM
I play with lead/casting at home and work with numerous lead alloys including pure lead 6 days a weak at work. This is the first time I've never been able to melt lead shot even with a torch and it was cherry red and still wouldn't mix in. All the size 8 shot that was mixed with it melted right in. Just some weird type of shot I guess!!

1kshooter
08-06-2011, 12:36 AM
I have had same findings with any old ..corroded shot or new graphite shot if it is squished into the side of the pot it melts in if not it just sits there for ever!

leadman
08-06-2011, 01:47 PM
Corroded reclaimed shot will do the same thing. I cover the pot and turn the heat up, eventually it melts.

Wayne Smith
08-06-2011, 04:02 PM
What is HeavyShot made of? I think there are three of four different shot compositions out there since lead was banned in waterfowl hunting.

fryboy
08-06-2011, 06:49 PM
bismuth , tin are two of the components IIRC , i believe iron or steel at least in the hevi-steel

jhalcott
08-06-2011, 06:58 PM
I "grind " the old shot between 2 concrete blocks a bit BEFORE dropping it into the pot. Apparently this breaks down the corrosion/graphite barrier and allows the lead shot to melt. Then I flux a couple times to remove the corrosion/graphite. Yes , a bit more work but worth it in results.