PDA

View Full Version : Cook's Country Classic Barbecued Chicken

Dale53
08-05-2011, 01:13 AM
I am a big fan of Cook's Country (American Test Kitchens). The Cook's Country Best Grilling Recipes book is the best book on grilling I have ever seen. I have all of Weber's books and they are good but the Cook's book is dynamite.

At any rate, I have done their Cook's Country Classic Barbecued Chicken several times and each time I and my wife swear it's the best chicken we have ever eaten. It is easily done on my Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold grille and will do a whole chicken (parts) in less than an hour. The skin is crisp, the meat is extremely juicy and it is cooked completely when directions are followed.

I made one change that I think is important - I brine the chicken for thirty minutes to an hour before grilling. NO LONGER! Pat dry before adding the rub and grilling.

Here is a plate full using Sweet Baby Ray's barbecue sauce:

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj80/Dale53/CooksClassicBarbecueChickenSelect-1175.jpg

You might want to give it a try. Here is a link to the recipe (there is a free trial membership to look at it). If you don't want to do that (very worthwhile to do) just send me your Email address and I'll send you a copy of the recipe.

http://www.cookscountry.com/recipes/Classic-Barbecued-Chicken/8472/?_auth_token=ZjR0015tS%2bHBcHc0%2bn6I2%2ftnPKa8Lls 2gJBG8Ro5h6I4KvZvd5Hqm5PWXuKJW8NtjI2be%2bZ4lG%2fb1 T42ZLUfB5dnWF48IS1iSroEueuoC6Bws9EsV0CLRAhIBSc5Lgk RP0b9hDU%2fHKVpH%2bIOrdvLmA%3d%3d

Dale53

stubshaft
08-06-2011, 02:30 AM
Looks great Dale. Thank goodness I already ate dinner or I'd be chewing the keyboard by now.

Jack Stanley
08-06-2011, 07:02 PM
Mmmmmmmm !! I wonder it that would make it in a flat rate box :p

Jack

Dale53
08-06-2011, 09:20 PM
I DO love good food!:drinks:

Dale53

Dale53
08-25-2011, 12:39 AM
Tonight I grilled a dozen or so chicken parts using this same method and rub but changed the sauce to Sriracha sauce as per:

http://wolfepit.blogspot.com/2009/10/orange-marmalade-sriracha-wings.html

Make up a batch of Larry Wolfe's sauce and during the last fifteen or twenty minutes of the cook, sauce three or four times (heating indirect on the Weber charcoal grille inbetween to set the sauce). I finished them about one minute a side on direct, right over the coals (be very careful - it is easy to burn the sweet sauce).

The spice is about medium heat and has a wonderful, complex set of flavors. The chicken is equally juicy as when using barbecue sauce as per "Cook's Classic Barbecue Chicken".

This cook (and the Classic) takes an hour but there is little effort involved. Sit back with a beer or two and wait until it's done. The action starts when you start saucing (I use a silicone brush) and then finishing with the lid off the last couple of minutes).

Good eating!

Dale53

Lloyd Smale
08-26-2011, 07:08 AM
thanks dale. Im going to give it a try this weekend.

Lloyd Smale
09-04-2011, 03:08 PM
your recipe is great dale. We had it for supper last night!!!

Dale53
09-04-2011, 05:18 PM
Lloyd;
I am truly glad you like it (what's not to like, huh?:mrgreen:).

I have to really pace myself - I like chicken, anyway, and when you try either the Cook's Classic OR the Marmalade Sriracha Sauce, you want to eat it all the time... So, I have to use some discipline - there are other good stuff out there to try from time to time.

My wife and I are big fans of Grilled Pork Chops (bone in), also.

I do those simply. My preference is for 3/4" chops (I can do them most any thickness but 3/4" supplies enough meat for one sitting). At any rate, I remove them from the refrigerator, pat them dry and apply a generous amount of McCormick's Montreal Steak Seasoning on both sides. If you put them on the grill right from the refrigerator (after seasoning) you can get a good crust before over cooking the inside. It takes 4-5 minutes a side over a hot charcoal fire (YMMV) then flip, and take their internal temperature. I want them 160 degrees inside. That meets the new Federal pork temperature standards and leaves them juicy inside. Just a trace of pink is what I strive for.

1-1½" thick ones are a bit easier to hit (you will typically need to slide them over to the indirect side of the grill to bring the internal temperature to where you want it) but provide more meat than I want at one sitting.

On the other hand, you can eat half a chop, save the rest, then remove it and re-heat with a bit of Marmalade Sriracha Sauce to give you a bit of a different "take" the second time around, it is the beginnings of a great lunch.

FWIW
Dale53

Twinkiethekid
09-05-2011, 07:08 PM
The link don't work Dale. That looks GOOOOOOOOD!!!

Dale53
09-05-2011, 08:30 PM
Here is a current link (apparently, they have a limited life):

http://www.cookscountry.com/recipes/Classic-Barbecued-Chicken/8472/?extcode=M00KSCM00

You may have to sign up for a free trial to see the recipe. Since I am a member, I cannot proof the link (I get automatically signed in). If this doesn't work, send me a PM with your Email address and I will send you the recipe by attachment.

Dale53

Twinkiethekid
09-05-2011, 09:58 PM
PM for recipe.

SciFiJim
09-18-2011, 03:22 PM
PM sent as well.
Jim

Dale53
09-18-2011, 06:32 PM
I've answered both of you fellows. You MUST let us know how you liked it! Pictures are welcomed...

Good eating!

Dale53

Dale53
10-22-2011, 10:51 PM
I was in North Carolina a week or so ago, visiting my oldest son (retired Colonel from the U.S. Army) his lovely wife and our two beautiful grand daughters. He has a Weber's Performer charcoal grill. I did the Cook's Country Classic Chicken method but used the Marmalade Sriracha Sauce (Larry Wolfe's). We used drum sticks, thighs and wings. My daughter-in-law looks like a fashion model but she ate the chicken like a line backer. She stated it's the best chicken she has ever eaten.

I take little credit - it's the "method" along with good barbecue sauce or in this case, Larry Wolfe's Marmalade Sriracha Sauce. Just flat out wonderful.

Try it, you'll like it!

Dale53