PDA

View Full Version : Looking for ingot mould

beagle
01-17-2007, 06:24 PM
I got ingot moolds up the wazoo but they're all small.

I'm looking for a ingot mould that will cast something on the order of a 100 ounce silver bar if any or you have ever dabbled in precious metal futures.

The Lyman ingots are all right for replenishment but I'd like to make a bunch that would fill a Pro Melt or Lyman Mag 20 at one pop.

This would make them easier to store and stack. Right now, I got Lyman ingots stacked all over the garage.

Anyone have any sources, e-mail, PM or post and I'll pick up the source. Looking for something that will make an ingot about 4-5 times the size of a Lyman ingot./beagle

No_1
01-17-2007, 06:32 PM
Look at the "mini-loaf" pans that can be had from wally-world. Those are a nice size. They are a 4 holer and are about $9 each I believe. I have looked at them and believe they would work in my Lee pot but have yet to purchase them. I believe SWMBO is getting some for my b-day which is coming soon.

Robert

beagle
01-17-2007, 06:52 PM
I've looked at them and I think they're about the right size. I was wondering if they're release all right and how long they'd hold up.

May have to invest in one and check it out. Reckon they're worth the investment to get that education.

Some outfit has to supply the ingot moulds for these guys that cast silver and I'm thinking they're cast iron as the melting temp of silver is a lot higher than lead.

Reckon I could get one milled out of a bar of aluminum.

Thanks, I'll see what else turns up here./beagle

Dale53
01-17-2007, 07:00 PM
Look at the angle iron ingot moulds. These work better than anything that I have seen:

http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=12367

Dale53

ANeat
01-17-2007, 07:00 PM
Magma sells a very nice looking ingot molds in 10 and 14 pound size http://www.magmaengr.com/item.php?id=34

Adam

No_1
01-17-2007, 07:03 PM
I looked really hard at the mini-loaf pans. They are made by the same company as the muffin pans I use and those have lasted a very long time. THe mini-loaf pans have the same "build" specs as those that the members are doing here with angle iron. What I mean is that all sides are tapered from the bottom up. The seams are tight and the metal looks thick enough. I saw them right before christmas and was going to get one. The wife was with me and knew what was on my mind. She said santa would bring a couple for me but he never did. When ask, she said they were out when she went to pick them up but they would arrive on feb. 5th (my b-day) for sure. I would not suggest them to you if I did not think they would be something I would use...

Anyway, I think the key to using those as well as the muffin pans is to not fill them past 3/4 full then let them sit 15 or so minutes before flipping them over. I do mine on the driveway on top of a piece of plywood. After 15 minutes or so I flip them over. If they do not fall out right away they usually do in a few minutes due to gravity and the pan cooling since it is bottoms up to the air. My experience with the muffing pans comes from having 8 pans that I cycle through. Once the last one is full, I flip the first one and fill it again, then flip the second one and fill it again and so on. Seems to be a good cycle if I take my time.

BTW, Stay away from the full loaf pans and don't ask me how I know that.....

Robert

ANeat
01-17-2007, 07:09 PM
Beagle if you dont mind casting one ingot at a time I think I have an angle iron mold that I made up that you can have.
If youre interested let me know and Ill dig it out.

Look at the thread that Dale put the link to.

Adam

hunter64
01-17-2007, 07:37 PM
I know this is too big for what you need but as a long term storage alternative I bought a cast iron bread loaf pan. It makes an ingot the size of a bread loaf and weighs 25 pounds per ingot. It is alot easier for storage and I have them all lined up in the corner of one garage, nice and tidy and out of the way. I have nealy 2 tons in this form and it works for me. You can always just make up a specialty ingot mold out of iron as the other posts have said, one that would fit nicely into your pot and fill it with the entire ingot.

Cloudpeak
01-17-2007, 08:07 PM
My old Lyman casting pot makes an ingot of 3 1/2-4 by 2 inches.
Cloudpeak
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v620/WyoBob/bench%20and%20reloading/DSCN1298.jpg

felix
01-17-2007, 08:16 PM
Nah, you guys are children. Look at a REAL home operation here:

http://www.castpics.net/RandD/moas/moas2.htm

grumpy one
01-17-2007, 08:17 PM
Reckon I could get one milled out of a bar of aluminum.

Thanks, I'll see what else turns up here./beagle

I get irritated by my Lee aluminium ingot mould - the first-pour ingots are pretty awful, because of the rapid heat loss to warm up the cold mould. After the mould warms up it is fine.

powderburnerr
01-17-2007, 08:59 PM
I found some stainless pans that fit in a buffet warming table .. the 6x6x2 make 16 # ingots the 4x6 makes an 8 ,, fill to desired depth .. they were cheap and have seen hard service for many years . when I want a 2 or 3 # ingot I just set them on an angle .. they have round bottoms tapered sides and weigh nothing empty
dean

Sundogg1911
01-17-2007, 10:56 PM
i use 2 lee, 1 saeco, and one RCBS, over, and over, and over and.........

454PB
01-17-2007, 11:09 PM
Nah, you guys are children. Look at a REAL home operation here:

http://www.castpics.net/RandD/moas/moas2.htm

You would think someone that ambitious would have on a little more protective clothing........at least some long pants and boots over his ankles.

NVcurmudgeon
01-18-2007, 01:44 AM
I solved the PITA of Lyman ingots stacked all over the garage by dumping 130-140 lbs. of Lyman/RCBS ingots in each of a number of free plastic 5 gal. buckets. the amount of weight was chosen to be an amount that can be easily slid on a smooth garage floor. Storage is easy, I can fit eight buckets (1030-1120 lbs.) under my casting bench. Any overflow buckets can furnish a foundation for the many boxes of housewares that invade "my" garage. The reason for keeping my metal in one lb. ingots is because they are convenient to pre-heat on the edge of the pot. A bonus is that I can put three or four buckets of 60-70 lbs. each right at the back end of my pickup bed when it is icy, like right now.

imashooter2
01-18-2007, 08:38 AM
I get irritated by my Lee aluminium ingot mould - the first-pour ingots are pretty awful, because of the rapid heat loss to warm up the cold mould. After the mould warms up it is fine.

You get irritated over incomplete fill out on your ingots? LOL! You've got the disease bad!:-D

quack1
01-18-2007, 08:44 AM
NV- I do the same thing. I use muffin pans for making ingots then I layer the ingots in 5 gallon buckets (with lids that have a rubber gasket) that I get for free from a local bakery. They get all their frosting in these buckets and as a bonus, even after a good scrubbing, they still smell good. I keep these buckets outside on the shady side of a storage shed to help prevent interior condensation from direct sun. By stacking the ingots in layers a bucket will hold far more than I can lift, probably more than the handle could support. I have done this for years and the air tight buckets keep the ingots from oxidising.

rhead
01-18-2007, 04:05 PM
http://gallery.bcentral.com/GID5128057DD474810-Casting-Mold-Supplies.aspx?Page=3

This place has 200 troy oz 80 tr. oz and 50 troy oz molds. they may have some other sizes that are not listed on their website.

handyrandyrc
01-18-2007, 04:35 PM
www.ebay.com -- I do a search for "muffin tin", "ingot mould", and "ingot mold". Lots of stuff to be had. Even nifty graphite molds used for ingoting precious metals. LEAD is a precious metal to all of us, however!