PDA

View Full Version : neck sizing die

gunnut14
08-04-2011, 09:25 AM
I remember reading it somewhere but cannot remember where (Getting old)
Somewhere I read about which die could be used to collett neck size 7.62x54R brass.
Lee doesn't make one and I hate to full length resize each time.Any one know what or where ?

gunnut14

Moonie
08-04-2011, 03:06 PM
I would back the FL die out so that it doesn't size the body. Been doing that for a couple of decades.

gunnut14
08-04-2011, 03:43 PM
Moonie,
Thought about that and have done it in the past, just was hoping someone knew of the article that told about using another caliber neck sizing die.
Tried the .308 and no joy as the case body will not even fit.
OH well I can always get one made I guess.

gunnut14

Hip's Ax
08-04-2011, 04:33 PM
Here you go. It is 308 Winchester but you need to use a shim on top of the rim of the case. I did not try this, I bought the RCBS neck die.

http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting2006/colletswap/index.asp

MtGun44
08-04-2011, 09:27 PM
Lee collet dies produce VERY straight necks, a good thing for accuracy. I have not tried it,
but probably a .308 or maybe .30-06 collet die might work.

Bill

300winmag
08-05-2011, 11:51 AM
Thank you for your interest. Lee does not make a standard production collet (neck sizing) die for the 7.62x54R. They do offer custom services on collet dies, I have included their terms below. Due to shipping and communications I recommend you deal with Lee directly. Their phone is 1-262-673-3075 or email info@leeprecision.com .

Dennis / Titan Reloading

Collet Dies

A Custom Collet Die set consists of a Collet Neck Sizing Die, a Dead Length Bullet Seating Die and a Shell Holder. The cost is $60.00 per set ($55.00 + $5.00 S/H). Maximum outer diameter at the base is .555 and the maximum bullet diameter is .375. There are a few exceptions for the larger Ultra Mags, if you are interested in those , you may want to give Lee a call or send a case to determine whether or not Lee can make them. The Collet Neck Sizing Die is not recommended for Auto Loaders, Slide or Lever Action Guns.

Cartridges with a larger bullet diameter or base diameter than those listed above can be made in Lee's Large Series Dies, which have 1 1/4x12 thread. Note that these Large Series Dies will only fit into Lee's Classic Cast press, and some competitors larger presses. The cost for Lee's Large Series Dies is $155.00 per set ($150.00 + $5.00 S/H). Large series dies can be made for cartridges ranging in size up to and including the 50 BMG.

If you are interested in a custom Collet die set, send payment and two fired cases from the rifle that the ammunition is to be reloaded for, as well as a sample bullet. The cases are used to determine the dimensions of the dies to be made, the bullet is so Lee can test the dies before shipment. Current lead time for a Custom Collet die set is anywhere between 2 months to 6 months.

Please send your Custom Collet Die Set order to:

Lee Precision, Inc.
4275 Highway "U"
Hartford, WI 53027

Von Gruff
08-05-2011, 04:57 PM
Once set for FLS I keep a standard 7/8 washer on the bench and put it under the die to just size the neck. I have various thickness washers and can size the neck so the body is not touched.

Von Gruff.

walltube
08-06-2011, 01:16 PM
gunnut14,

Too bad the die makers cannot furnish bushing neck-size dies for the multitude of mil-surp calibers we love. Go figure.

Somewhere there are threads addressing this lack of interest by the industry and how this ingenious group of lead-heads adapt commonally available sporting caliber dies to size mil-surp brass.

One venerable member employs a .284 Win. neck die for (I think) the 7.62x54r. Similarly, I use a slightly shortened Redding 300WSM Type S bushing die to size 7.5x55 and 7.62x54r necks. Works a charm, I tell you...:)

Adapt, improvise, overcome. That's us.

Good luck with your "neck" problem... ;)

Y.T.,
Wt.

dgreene
11-30-2013, 10:03 AM
I realize this thread is a bit old, but you could use the lee loader die. Obviously this would not be in a press, but it does only size the neck, and the whole set is cheap and easy enough to tote to the range and work up a load right there. I neck only for one of my mosins and that's what I use. Neck size with that, use a hand primer or my old cast press with the safety prime (depends on if something is worth watching on tv) then the standard dies for bell, seating, and a crimp. I found it doesn't add much to time spent, and if you anneal about every 5 times you can get 10-12 loadings on a case since you don't work the brass so much, plus it's fitted to the specific gun and you get better accuracy. I'm not casting yet for my mosin collection but I'm about there.

Springfield0612
12-02-2013, 04:01 PM
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/116484/hornady-custom-grade-new-dimension-neck-sizer-die-30-caliber

I bought the Hornady .30 cal short for my .300 Savage because Lee is the same way with no available neck sizing die. There are others like Forester but are almost twice the cost of Hornady.

Heres some feedback from this item: I've owned and used this ...

I've owned and used this die for several years now and as typical with Hornady it works perfectly. I bought mine before Hornady changed to the new Sip Spindle but later updated it with a new spindle and it still works exactly the same, perfectly as it's supposed to. This type of die is not supposed to move the shoulder. Setup is Only to regulate how far down you re-size the neck. If youre looking to bump your shoulder back you will need either a Full Length Die or a Body Die to do this. Neck Dies regardless of brand re-size the Neck only! As for sizing for the 7.62x54R, this Die comes with only the .308 Sizing Button but a call to Hornady can get you a .31 Sizing Button to screw into it, this will allow it to size the 7.52x54R perfectly as well. Changing the Sizing Button only takes a few seconds so its no problem. I use mine for my .308, 30-06 and 7.62x54R (by changing the Expanding Ball & Shell Holder) and it works perfectly for all these.