PDA

View Full Version : Question about possible zinc....

41mag
08-03-2011, 08:53 PM
I have some lead ingots I got from the wife of a friend who passed. I know that she worked in the plumbing business and there's no telling where else the lead might have come from. I DO know that he had several surf weight making parties where the weights poured up were measured by the pound sometimes.

Anyway I melted some of the ingots down not long ago, and as a precaution I kept the temp pretty cool, just enough actually to melt the ingots down. As I stirred it around and fluxed it several times, I noted a glob of stuff which never seemed to melt, similar to another poster had not too long ago.

Could this possibly be zinc which is not melting down at the lower temp coming together as I flux?

I sure would like to be able to use these ingots as they are probably just over a buck fifty in weight.

Any helpful ideas would be appreciated. I am not so sure I want to go the sulfur route being here in suburbia, the neighbors already think I am a bit off plumb.

bumpo628
08-04-2011, 02:19 AM
Check it with some pool acid (muriatic). If it bubbles, there's zinc in there.

badbob454
08-04-2011, 02:22 AM
skim off the top and try casting a few if it casts good , once the mold gets hot , should be good enough... may need to add some tin the stuff on the top may be anything ... possibly dross ,skim and throw away

Bob Krack
08-04-2011, 07:58 PM
skim off the top and try casting a few if it casts good , once the mold gets hot , should be good enough... may need to add some tin the stuff on the top may be anything ... possibly dross ,skim and throw awayor Antimony, don't throw it away.

Keep it until you have more information about it or more advice on how to use it.

Respectfully intended.

Bob

lwknight
08-05-2011, 01:19 AM
You really need a thermometer.
Solder melts at a much lower temperature than lead.
Lead will make a glob that won't melt in solder but it sinks.
If the glob is floaty , it might be zinc.