PDA

View Full Version : Ruger did a nice job on this one

shooting on a shoestring
08-03-2011, 08:45 PM
New Model S.S. Blackhawk 4&5/8 in .45Colt manufactured in fall of 2010, bought new by me from Collector's Firearms in Houston.

Barrel slugged 0.450" at muzzle and same all the way through, no constriction, tight, but very shinney for S.S.

Chamber mouths 0.4515 to 0.4520, works out well with 0.450 barrel.

These dimensions also work well with the nowadays 0.452 moulds.

Trigger was at 3.5 lbs with little creep out of the box, better than expected (although I removed all creep and lightened to 2.5 lbs before I shot it).

First thing I did was take it apart, do the trigger, check dimensions, look for burrs, none found. Clean pistol.

Barrel/Cylinder gap 0.006 and square.

First crack at the range today, load 18 grs 2400 pushing 454424 shot groups between 2 and 3" at 25yds rested. Good enough starting point.

Ruger has had some issues with .45 Colt Blackhawks, I can testify. This one I doesn't have any bad dimensions, or bad habits. Looks like a nice specimen.

drklynoon
08-04-2011, 12:15 AM
Awesome I have been looking at getting one. This is nice to here. I have been looking for a Bisley model .45 blackhawk but if they are starting to get the standard correct maybe it's time to get off my butt and get the one that I want.

mongo
08-04-2011, 12:46 AM
Bought a New Vaquero last year in .357, My first single action pistol. Never had a desire to own one but picked it up in the gun shop and couldnt put it down. It followed me home. Very well made, The attention to detail is second to none. Looking for a Blackhawk now in .44 mag. I have been bitten by the single action bug..lol...Tommy

white eagle
08-04-2011, 09:15 AM
Bought a New Vaquero last year in .357, My first single action pistol. Never had a desire to own one but picked it up in the gun shop and couldnt put it down. It followed me home. Very well made, The attention to detail is second to none. Looking for a Blackhawk now in .44 mag. I have been bitten by the single action bug..lol...Tommy
it hits ya hard too!
a friend of my wifes had a 22 revolver she wanted me to look at
and at the time he also had a sbh 44 mag that he wanted to get rid of
I told her that had no interest in the 44 but would look at the 22 revolver
well bought both and been smitten ever since