PDA

View Full Version : need a boolit in 358, long 300 grn or so

greywuuf
08-03-2011, 08:38 PM
but have no idea how to search with out just going through each and every 358 offering?
Does anyone have a recomendation? Kinda looking for a heavyier than traditional J word Rifle bullet for a short barrel. Small case round that i might even explore subsonic with. A bore rider would be a plus I think. PB or GC either way I am easy or I might even explore PP... something I have been meaning to do for a while anyway.

tips tricks idea's and suggestions welcome!

Ben
08-03-2011, 09:15 PM
greywuuf

Sounds to me that you're describing the Lyman 358009. It is a great bullet in .35 cal, but they are difficult to find.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=60124

Ben

greywuuf
08-03-2011, 10:08 PM
Hmm looks like it would do the trick ... has there been any group buys or custom suppliers lately ?

Ben
08-03-2011, 11:22 PM
Looks like a group buy ran in 2009 :

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=61857&highlight=noe+358009

Ben

smoked turkey
08-04-2011, 12:17 AM
Posted in the Want To Buy (WTB) section you will find a thread that has just started that is trying to get something going for another group buy of the 358009. I have been looking hard at it because I too want something along this line. I haven't signed up yet because I really would like to find an old steel Lyman in 358009. However as Ben says they seem to truly be rare as hens teeth. When they come up I am always too late.

greywuuf
08-04-2011, 04:26 AM
Are these the ones I was reading about Coming up on Evil Pay auction sites for over 100 bucks and people never seeming to win ?
Wow I like my 358 win and with this dedication to the 35's it makes on wonder why they are so rare commercially

While I have at least a little attention I am planning a rewilded wildcat..... I dont know how many of you have heard of the .338 spectre.. it is a 10mm mag necked down to (obviously) .338 it is intended to shoot 300 grn bullets subsonic and double with the lighter stuff in the high pistol range. I happen to have some .358 blanks (Barrels not rounds ) and NO .338 guns.. so I don't really want to add another caliber to the list of things to try and build bullets for. So I am intending to use .357 Sig Dies and reamers and such to try for a .358 spectre ( in the same length as the Spectre not the abbreviated sig ) ... I have not run any numbers in ballistic or loading software, but I was hoping I could at least make the 300 grn weight the .338 guys are so fond off. Any thoughts on the suitability of this particular bullet to the intended application ? I figure worst case I end up with a mold for the old 358 Winny, or if it proves to heavy for that I just guess I will have to get a Whelen. ( or maybe the spectre will turn into a 358 SOCOM)

Thanks

Dan ( Bored in Alaska)

Nrut
08-04-2011, 08:13 AM
Check this out Dan...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=108411

waksupi
08-04-2011, 10:58 AM
I would point out that the 358009 is not going to feed in all rifles. I modified both of my rifles slightly to allow them to feed. If you don't have a barrel vise, this may not be an easy job for you. I came up with a design from Mountain Molds at around 260 gr., that is very accurate, and I made the nose design small enough to feed easily, but still have a lot of smack when it arrived.

smoked turkey
08-04-2011, 11:27 PM
I don't have a good reason but I prefer a steel mold rather than aluminum. I am not sure right now who does a heavy .358 boolit mold in steel but I am certain someone does. If someone could point me that direction I would take a look at it. I would like to have a FN two cavity. I might have one of the cavities hollow pointed. I use the RCBS 35-200 FN for my 35 Rem, and would like a similar boolit at about 275 gr. +/-. Thanks.