PDA

View Full Version : Do you sweeten your plinking boolits?

wtfooptimax200
08-03-2011, 07:45 PM
How many people sweeten their plinking boolits with the standard 2% tin? My thinking is that for high volume rounds (9mm, 45 ACP, 38/357) that will be used for general plinking, IDPA/IPSC shooting, bowling pin matches, etc it is not necessary to use precious tin to get a perfect boolit. I am usually a total perfectionist with everything, but I'm also cheap and would like to save the tin. Do you think that I am setting myself for big problems by leaving it out if my boolits are casting fairly well, but not perfectly?

Branden

btroj
08-03-2011, 07:50 PM
I have some solder an almost never, ever use it. I don't see a point much of the time. I think many add 2% tin to alloys because, well, it is what everyone else does.

If your bullets work in your guns that is all that matters.

grullaguy
08-04-2011, 12:43 AM
My plinking bullets are the culls that are too good to throw back and not good enough for show and tell.
I may or may not throw a small button of pewter in my heated lead if the mood strikes me. I melted down a couple of mugs I bought at a second hand store for under $2.00. Those mugs made me about 100 buttons of pewter. That is pretty cheap tin.

badbob454
08-04-2011, 02:28 AM
it costs @ 20$ to tin 100 lbs thats a lot of boolits not worth not, adding tin esp if shooting small boolits .. if they cast good and shoot good enough for you then.... rock on ..

Canuck Bob
08-04-2011, 09:49 AM
Would the situation be the same for rifle bullets shot to 100 yards? I've noted in past threads some casters treat rifle bullets different from thier pistol bullets.

Bob Krack
08-04-2011, 07:54 PM
Well Bob,
I am not alone - I think - but maybe in the minority here. I use 1% or maximum of 1-1/2% Tin added to my casting boolits. Most random sources of scrap lead contain at least SOME Tin.

I most often try the plain "junk" lead - wheel weights, range lead, lead pipe, roof flashing, and so on and if the boolits do not come out pretty OK, then I add Tin from whatever source.

If am casting "truly" plinking loads, I just cast round balls.

I assume you meaning reduced loads for informal plinking, then try to cast a few and if they do not fill out to your satisfaction, or contribute to leading, add a little Tin and study more on the causes of leading.

Bob

btroj
08-04-2011, 08:12 PM
Would the situation be the same for rifle bullets shot to 100 yards? I've noted in past threads some casters treat rifle bullets different from thier pistol bullets.
I still wouldn't just add tin right off. Start out seeing how the alloy you have shoots. If it seems to need so drying then add it, otherwise leave it be.

I am a firm believer in keeping things as simple as possible. And cheap.

white eagle
08-04-2011, 08:31 PM
depend alot how the boolits are coming out of
the mold if they are not filling out and look crappy
I add tin I own my own range so most everything I shoot
is recycled anaway

MikeS
08-07-2011, 05:01 AM
Well, I use Lyman #2 for my plinking boolits. All my boolits are plinking boolits, as that's really all I do. I'm not a hunter, nor am I a target shooter, and I don't do a lot of personal defense shooting, so that leaves plinking. Of course my definition of plinking might be wrong, as I do shoot at targets, usually at an indoor range, but I don't shoot in any official target shooting events.

I don't really see the purpose of making 'good' boolits, and 'plinking' boolits. To me, either a boolit is a good one, or it's back in the pot! Am I wasting money? maybe, but then what sport, or hobby doesn't cost money?

XWrench3
08-07-2011, 10:13 AM
I usually add a little tin, probably amounts to 1/2% if i measured it out. I think it makes a difference. Maybe i should try a batch w/o it, and see if there is a difference.

HeavyMetal
08-07-2011, 10:37 AM
Heres my thoughts on this: does what your casting meet your needs?

If it does your good if it doesn't improve your alloy, or your technique, until it does.

For me there is no "plinking" boolit! You never know when you'll need X ring accuracy and trying to guess which ammo in the box will do that when I need it to is a waste of time and, more importantly, shows me I wasted my time and components when I made the ammo!

I'll leave this post with one of my Grandad's favorite quotes:

If you don't have time to do it right the first time how can you possiblely have time to do it over?

I've always applied this my loading.

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-07-2011, 10:49 AM
typically, my plinking boolits arethe Lee TL style.
a little extra tin in the WW alloy helps them fill out better.

I have a few Ranch Dog TL molds, they have large TL grooves,
and usually do not need extra Tin to fill out nicely.

Rifle boolits, I use lyman #2...but sometimes I do reduce the
tin content when I blend the alloy...5% tin just seems a waste.
Jon

fredj338
08-08-2011, 11:33 PM
If they'll cast from range scrap w/o any tin, I won't waste it. FOr shooting to 1000fps or so, that usually works fine.