PDA

View Full Version : Smoke less lube

Tag
08-03-2011, 07:39 PM
Has anybody on here figured out witch of the stick lubes smoke less, tried the search with no luck. I shoot indoors and the rest of guys are starting to complain a little, I have white lables 50/50 in the lube/sizer at the moment.:Fire:

btroj
08-03-2011, 09:04 PM
Alox not only smokes, it stinks too. Or hat is my opinion. I found Carnuba Red to be reasonably smoke free, at least compared to the MML I am using now.
I personally think most lubes will smoke more than a jacketed round.

Hip's Ax
08-03-2011, 09:43 PM
I 2nd Carnauba Red.

longbow
08-04-2011, 12:41 AM
Not helping the OP but I have been using a home brewed lube which has been quite successful and had not noticed smoke before but when I took my son, daughter and daughter's boyfriend out shooting and watched them shoot, I could see that the lube is quite smoky... actually surprisingly smoky!

It is a paraffin/grease/soap mix and I would have figured it would be pretty clean but boy does it smoke! Fortunately we were shooting outdoors. I suspect I would be barred from indoor shooting with this.

So, I guess a question is ~ does the lube smoke because it burns or is it just vapourizing (atomizing)?

If the smoke is due to burning then the lube make up is to blame but if due to vapourizing then I would have to guess that a harder lube would smoke less. Is that true?

I have never used carnuba red. Is it a hard lube?

Longbow

Tag
08-04-2011, 08:48 AM
I have carnauba red but the sizer full of 50/50 so it looks like it will be awhile before I can try the red

Moonie
08-04-2011, 03:01 PM
Keep in mind that some powders are also very smokey when used with some lubes.I've seen loads with one powder and lube put out very little smoke, change just the powder and it looks like you are shooting BP.

Tag
08-04-2011, 03:28 PM
HS-6 is the powder but the 50/50 really smells bad so I think its mostly the lube

GP100man
08-04-2011, 09:45 PM
If ya really want to see the smoke shoot with a strong lite behind ya !!!!!!

+ another for Glenn`s Carnauba Red !!!!

I have the components to try my hand at it but the CR works so good !!!!!

taminsong
08-05-2011, 03:22 AM
I'm excited, just buy a box full of Carnauba Red from him!

GP100man
08-05-2011, 07:09 AM
Taminsong

You won`t regret it I promise !!!

It`s in the hi 90`s here now & I need no heat , but in the cooler days I warm the sizer just warm to the touch

GP

cajun shooter
08-05-2011, 11:25 AM
I don't know what lube- sizer you have but it may be emptied by heating with a heat gun from Harbour Freight or a good hair dryer. The heat gun takes about 15 minutes to empty my Star. You will need to let it cool before adding more lube. The best load that I have found that produces almost no smoke is Clays powder and Carnuba Red lube. I loaded a 45 ACP and a 38 special for a friend and everyone was asking how I was able to load and not have any smoke.

Tag
08-05-2011, 12:11 PM
I don't know what lube- sizer you have but it may be emptied by heating with a heat gun from Harbour Freight or a good hair dryer. The heat gun takes about 15 minutes to empty my Star. You will need to let it cool before adding more lube. The best load that I have found that produces almost no smoke is Clays powder and Carnuba Red lube. I loaded a 45 ACP and a 38 special for a friend and everyone was asking how I was able to load and not have any smoke.

I have a star. So you unbolt it from the bench turn it up side down and heat it up?

noylj
08-05-2011, 04:18 PM
I too never noticed any smoke until a year ago reading all the comments about smoke and dirty gun being the deciding factor on what to shoot.
Now, occasionally, if I break concentration I will notice a little puff of smoke that is gone almost before my next shot.
I don't think there can be any lube or powder that won't smoke I can not believe that it would ever be enough to make the target difficult to acquire.
I would think that as one goes to a higher wax content, particularly a microcrystalline wax, that what little smoke there is would be reduced to some extent. That, and a low burn-temperature powder (is there a single-base pistol powder?).
I still say, if you notice smoke from your own loads, you aren't concentrating on the job at hand.

Tag
08-06-2011, 08:32 AM
I too never noticed any smoke until a year ago reading all the comments about smoke and dirty gun being the deciding factor on what to shoot.
Now, occasionally, if I break concentration I will notice a little puff of smoke that is gone almost before my next shot.
I don't think there can be any lube or powder that won't smoke I can not believe that it would ever be enough to make the target difficult to acquire.
I would think that as one goes to a higher wax content, particularly a microcrystalline wax, that what little smoke there is would be reduced to some extent. That, and a low burn-temperature powder (is there a single-base pistol powder?).
I still say, if you notice smoke from your own loads, you aren't concentrating on the job at hand.

If you read the OP I said I shoot indoors (IDPA) and the other guys and gals that I shoot with are starting to complain a little, with HS-6 and white labels 50/50 theirs more than a little smoke and stink. we shoot up to 18 rounds a stage as fast as we can and that can produce a lot of smoke.

Dale53
08-06-2011, 09:08 AM
Tag;
You don't mention what caliber you are shooting. The other poster's suggestion to use Clays and Carnauba Red is spot on.

I have personally used that combination and that is as near as smoke free in the .45 ACP as it is possible to have with a lubricated bullet. I get nearly NO smoke with that. I also shoot both indoors and outdoors.

I was able to score a quantity of powder at a give away price, so I am shooting a rather smokey combination, right now. My smoke is coming from the powder, not the lube (in this particular situation).

Depending on caliber and power level required, Clays may be just the ticket for you.

I have used nothing but Carnauba Red for some time and am HAPPY!

Dale53

Tag
08-06-2011, 10:02 AM
I mostly shoot 9mm because it cheaper to reload.

Dale53
08-06-2011, 10:14 AM
Tag;
Clays will work very well with the 9mm. Check out Hodgdon's loading data on line.

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

Dale53

cajun shooter
08-06-2011, 10:34 AM
Tag, I was speaking of shooting indoors with the Clays and Carnuba Red with both the 38 spl and 45 ACP.
Take the brass screw at the bottom of your Star out with a large blade screwdriver. Remove the air cylinder or stock spring set up. Point the heat gun inside at the lube and also on the outside around the screw area. The lube will start to flow out in just a few minutes. I just let mine go into a pan if I have plenty or on my wooden steps to protect them. You will be able to see the bottom in no time. The heat gun may be purchased from Harbour Freight as I said before. They have two settings and work very fast. You will need to have a heater or a travel iron to keep the lube running easy for you. Be careful as it only requires a small amount of heat. The guy at the Bass Pro range was the first to ask me about the load.

Tag
08-06-2011, 11:15 AM
Thanks Cajun shooter, I have mine set on a heater I know the screw you refering to, I think I will try to find a fitting and attach a plastic hose to it and empty that way. Dale 53 the lead 125s with clays will not make PF I'll see if I can find a load for 147/150 gr. and clays when I get home. Thanks again everyone.

dwtim
08-07-2011, 01:10 PM
If you get rid of the petroleum distillates, you'll get rid of most of the smoke.

sig2009
08-07-2011, 04:32 PM
I just shot some cast 45's that I did today with BAC and win231 and I was suprised how little smoked.

Lloyd Smale
08-08-2011, 06:49 AM
When i shoot indoors in competition smoke is a big consern. Ive had guys standing next to me complain that ive almost blinded them from the target. Ive tried a bunch of lubes and corduba red is a good compromise but magmas hard blue is about the best for not smoking. I keep ammo just for indoor shoots loaded using it. Got to say though its the onlys use i have for that hard ****. Bottom line is softer lubes smoke and lubes that really work smoke. My best guess is the ones that dont smoke dont because most of the lube is still on the bullet when it leaves the barrel.

Tag
08-08-2011, 10:02 AM
Yeah Lloyd, I'm guessing your right, I will not compromise my barrel or accuracy we'll all have to just live with the smoke

noylj
08-09-2011, 10:12 PM
Tag: +1

When i concentrate on my shooting, I don't notice anything except the sights and target and hae never had so much smoke from my gun or any nearby gun to make me aware of.
He who complains needs an excuse.
I would be happy to fire first or last if that would make the others happy.

Dale53
08-10-2011, 12:52 AM
When I was competing in IPSC, I have seen weather conditions (no wind, high humidity) when my target was pretty much obscured with smoke when shooting "man on man". It DOES happen.

When shooting Bullseye, the times are not so critical and, normally, it's not a problem. However, my present loads in several of my revolvers are pretty dern smoky under certain conditions.

FWIW
Dale53