PDA

View Full Version : marbles sight

Marine Sgt 2111
08-03-2011, 04:29 AM
I have a Marlin .32-20CL and while having a scope on it for testing loads is fine, I would like a Marbles peep sight for it. Is anyone aware of a Marbles peep sight that doesn't require drilling and tapping the tang?

I have the Marble peep sights in my two tradional hunters and well heck clicking up and down, right and left reminds me of shooting a service rifle (I even keep a data book for rifle setting with different loads.)

So what's your two cents worth?

NickSS
08-03-2011, 06:21 AM
Unless your rifle is already drilled for a tang sight you are out of luck for a tang sight. However. I have mounted one on a Marlin by uxing a long tang screw and instead of drilling a hole for the second screw I put a bit of epoxy glue on the bottom of the sight. It is still there an has not moved in the five or six years since I did it. A buddy of mine did the same thing but used double backed tape and his is still going strong too.

gnoahhh
08-03-2011, 09:19 AM
You can check with Marbles to see if they make one for that gun. Be aware though that the new Marbles tang sights are a shadow of their former selves being cheaper and "tinny" in construction. Friends who have bought them for their old Savage 1899's sent them back for refunds after taking one look at them. If the tang is d/t'ed for a tang sight i would scare up an old (0r new) Lyman sight, or an old Marbles.

Irascible
08-03-2011, 09:57 PM
Last I looked, both the old style and the new style (replaceable stems) sights were still made. I shot Cowboy Action for 2 years with a Marble tang sight held with only the one screw. The tang is convex, the sight is concave. They self center themselves and don't move as long as the screw is tight. To help that screw tighten properly, loosen the other screws holding the bottom of the Marlin on. Tighten the tang screw and then re-tighten the rest of the screws.

Bill Torzsok
08-15-2011, 01:11 AM
Attention marine Sgt2111
Check out the Marble Arms Bulls Eye rear sight.
It takes the place of the rear sight, going into the dovetail.
Rgds

Jon K
08-15-2011, 09:18 PM
Just drill & tap, and be don't look back.
Just watch you don't cut into the serial# on the tang. You may need to enlarge the front hole to clear the serial #.

Jon

pietro
08-17-2011, 06:34 PM
IIRC, Marbles may (I KNOW Lynam does) supply a short sub-base for Marlin tang sights, which has holes located as to clear the SN on the tang.

The sub-base utilizes one hole D/T's for the FWD screw, the tang sight base goea atop the sub-base with it's FWD screw into a tapped hole in the front of the sub-base and a much longer tang screw sanwiching the tang sithg base, sub-base, and tang all together.