PDA

View Full Version : Hunting 2006 with Cast

6pt-sika
01-17-2007, 01:15 AM
I had a pretty decent year with cast bullets this year .

First gun out was my Marlin 1895 in 40-65 WCF (circa1896) . I was shooting the Lyman #403169 bullet cast from WW's and lubed with Thompson's Blue Angel.
It was loaded in a Starline 40-65 case primed with CCI200 primers and loaded with 24 grains of XMP5744.

Went out one morning to a 16' ladder stand , about 10-15 minutes after first light a doe came up from a thicket on my left . And she stopped broadside at 36 yards . With the open sights I lined up on the pocket behind the front leg and touched off .

She headed back in the direction from which she came and folded in about 20-25 yards . When I got to her she was dead .

The following week I took my Marlin 1895 in 38-56 WCF (circa 1897) out in the woods to the same stand . This one is loaded with the Lyman #375449 GC bullet cast from WW's and lubed with Thompson's Blue Angel . I was using Quality Cartridge brass and again CCI200 primers . The powder charge was 20 grains of XMP5744 .

Again I was out before daylight and again I had a doe come up out of the thicket to my left . However this time I missed .
So I got down and made sure and looked for a ways back to where the doe came from . After looking for awhile I then headed back to pick up my stuff . This stand happens to be about 30 yards from a fence into a pasture field that has horses . Anyway the horses were standing at the fence watching me as I came back . Then I noticed them looking back into the field . So I sat down quick beside a tree about 25 yards from the fence .
And in a couple minutes 3 does came trotting up to come over the fence into the thicket . I already had the 38-56 up on my shoulder and rested on my knee . When the largest doe stuck her head thru the fence I aimed and shot her in the temple . Needless to say she dropped on the spot . I was hoping the bullet would stay in the cranium , but unfortunately it didn't .

Well it wasn't a perfect season but I got two deer with 3 shots from the "old" cast guns . :drinks:

Ranch Dog
01-17-2007, 10:53 AM
I followed your progress 6-pt and thought Marlin did real good by you!

Here is what I did:
Marlin 1895MR (450 Marlin), TLC460-425-RF and one large hog.
Marlin 444T (444 Marlin), TLC432-285-RF, and whitetail buck (8-pt @ 134BC).
Marlin 375 (375 Win), TLC379-210-RF, and whitetail doe.

I've always killed at least one hog a month but my stepsons and nephew have stepped up to the plate with interest in doing it for me which is good because that means I don't have to gut, skin, and cut them up! This year they did it with my Marlin's and most were killed with my cast boolits. In 2006 we killed 4 deer and 14 hogs here on the ranch... all with leverguns!

I'm starting out bad... two days ago I missed a hog at 52-yards with my 1895G and the TLC460-350-RF. I need a hog for a wild game supper that is coming up. I went out to a feeder about 4:30, it was sleeting, and there where hogs everywhere! I chose a nice, fat black hog and I pulled the trigger with a jerk. It was a complete miss. I guess I was too cold. I went back out yesterday and returned home at dark completely covered in ice. I saw one deer. Another bad day forecast here as everything is solid ice but I figure the hogs have got to be hungry so I plan on being out most of the afternoon. Really unusual for us to have this ice and sleet. My 77-year old dad is giving me a hard time about missing now... said I'm going to cause an old man to get out in the cold with a Winchester to kill something:???:

6pt-sika
01-17-2007, 06:14 PM
[QUOTE=Ranch Dog;138387]I followed your progress 6-pt and thought Marlin did real good by you!

Ranch Dog this is the first year in a long long time that I didn't kill a deer with a bolt action rifle .

What I took this year was either killed with a Marlin lever or my Knight 50 cal ML .

And to be honest I really wanted to take one with that 25 WSSM :???:

RugerFan
01-17-2007, 08:05 PM
And in a couple months 3 does came trotting up to come over the fence :

You are very patient.

6pt-sika
01-18-2007, 10:16 AM
You are very patient.

My how time flies and I thought it had only been a couple minutes [smilie=1:

475/480
01-19-2007, 08:20 AM
. My 77-year old dad is giving me a hard time about missing now... said I'm going to cause an old man to get out in the cold with a Winchester to kill something:???:[/QUOTE]

LOL :lol:

Sean

6pt-sika
02-08-2007, 10:37 AM
. My 77-year old dad is giving me a hard time about missing now... said I'm going to cause an old man to get out in the cold with a Winchester to kill something:???:

LOL :lol:

Sean[/QUOTE]

Be happy he's giving you a hard time . My pop turned 71 in december . He also found out a month or so before that that he had Parkinson's . I hadn't really noticed up until thanksgiving but it seems to be getting rapidly worse .
I hope I'm wrong but I doubt if my pop will see 77 :???:

onceabull
02-08-2007, 10:19 PM
Ranch Dog: those weather conditions probably have all the "fighting Gobblers" looking for an inside roost.,eh? :roll: Onceabull