PDA

View Full Version : lino

Scout800a
08-02-2011, 07:25 PM
What should I expect to pay for Linotype?

Thanks

xr650
08-02-2011, 09:57 PM
I bought some lino/mono mix a coupla three months ago.
$0.50 / lb. at the local scrap yard.

fredj338
08-03-2011, 01:10 AM
I bought some lino/mono mix a coupla three months ago.
$0.50 / lb. at the local scrap yard.

An exceptional price. Expect to pay more than $1/# for most true linotype metals in most locations. Anything $1/# & less, buy a bunch. It's useful for alloying pure lead or unknown range scrap. Rotometals gets $3/# delivered.

DukeInFlorida
08-03-2011, 08:05 AM
Here's a guy with some for sale:
http://maine.craigslist.org/mat/2520877395.html

Scout800a
08-04-2011, 11:14 AM
I picked up 180lbs last night for $1 per lb. So I didn't do too bad.

mac1911
08-04-2011, 01:58 PM
you guys are lucky, the scrap yards in my local driving distance look at you funny when asking for such things like linotype lead....heck even lead for that matter!

XWrench3
08-07-2011, 10:32 AM
The only place i can find it is on fleabay. And of course i have to pay way to much for it. But it was still cheaper than rotometals. My requirement when buy it from fleabay is that it still has to be in type form. I will not buy ingots.

DukeInFlorida
08-15-2011, 08:49 AM
I cleaned out the balance of the stuff that the guy on Craigslist had.
Some of it was cut pieces, with lino dust and saw dust in buckets. Bought all of that. He threw in all the "lines of type" that he had left. 500 pounds in all, for $100. That's twenty cents per pound.

Split that with another guy, and smelted down the saw dust buckets yesterday. That yielded 167 pounds of tiny ingots, plus the lines of type.

Hard to find great deals like that.

This guy was a small print shop. Worked from his basement. Had all the equipment. The lino was ancient.

So, seek out old guys with the old ink type print shops.

Oh, and the guy threw in:
* small smelting pot
* hand forged 1 pound ladle
* skimmer ladle

Bob Krack
08-15-2011, 05:48 PM
I cleaned out the balance of the stuff that the guy on Craigslist had.
Some of it was cut pieces, with lino dust and saw dust in buckets. Bought all of that. He threw in all the "lines of type" that he had left. 500 pounds in all, for $100. That's twenty cents per pound. And you posted this publicly? You DO know the police monitor most of these sites looking for stolen property!

:mrgreen: :2_high5:

Bob

Ilwil
08-15-2011, 07:59 PM
Most daily papers quit using type casting 25-35 years ago, so linotype is getting scarce. As was mentioned, it chiefly comes out of old, small craft shops now. To go buy new, commmercially-cast linotype is very expensive, $4-6 a lb. When it comes available on Ebay, a reasonable price is $1.50 a lb. Any lesser price is, as said before, a bargain. 20lbs ships easily in a small post office flat rate box for $5.20, so that is a good way to stock up.

Be very wary of small ingots described as coming from linotype. They may be so, but is very hard to tell. Lino is best bought either in sawn-up 20 lb pigs, in spacers and liner strips, (very thin, and flexible) or in the short to medium-long slugs, which have letters and characters cast into them.

DukeInFlorida
08-16-2011, 11:04 AM
Yuck yuck yuck..........

I paid for the lino. RECEIPT in hand!!
:kidding:

And you posted this publicly? You DO know the police monitor most of these sites looking for stolen property!

:mrgreen: :2_high5:

Bob

Defcon-One
08-16-2011, 04:40 PM
My Linotype is from an old print shop. Half is in the strips, Half is in small ingots that were restored with plus metal, cast and put aside for re-use. All is clean and (4, 12, 84) but you do have to know and trust your source or you might just get Wheel Weight lead!

I would not sell any, but if I did, I'd want $2.00 or more per pound.

It is pretty brittle stuff and can be identified fairly easily if you know what to look for and how it reacts to a hammer.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/178454e3b599384c3a.jpg

leadladen
08-24-2011, 09:04 AM
Defcon
the stuff I have looks as though it has been cut on all four sides by an end mill or some other machine. The pieces are about 3/4X3/4X6 and are perfectly square. I melted the thin pieces that had the letters on them and used it to make an alloy with pure lead. That was before I saw that pure lino was in such high demand in certain circles. With the costs of shipping I don't see how anyone can afford to sell and ship the stuff. Or do most of the guys just sell it locally?

largom
08-24-2011, 09:39 AM
Got a couple hundred pounds about 30 yrs. ago when they switched from metal to rubber printing plates. I paid 10 cents a pound and it was all in the small letter form. Have not used any of it yet but it's nice to have and it does'nt eat anything.

Larry

Echo
08-24-2011, 11:24 AM
Got a couple hundred pounds about 30 yrs. ago when they switched from metal to rubber printing plates. I paid 10 cents a pound and it was all in the small letter form. Have not used any of it yet but it's nice to have and it does'nt eat anything.

Larry

That small-letter stuff is probably MONOtype, not lino. Mono is lino on steroids - 9%Sn, 19%Sb, especially hard to stand up to re-use (lino is remelted each time, but not mono). Do a BHN test to find out. If it reads in the low 20's, probably lino. High 20's, probably mono.

bumpo628
08-24-2011, 11:51 AM
Defcon
the stuff I have looks as though it has been cut on all four sides by an end mill or some other machine. The pieces are about 3/4X3/4X6 and are perfectly square. I melted the thin pieces that had the letters on them and used it to make an alloy with pure lead. That was before I saw that pure lino was in such high demand in certain circles. With the costs of shipping I don't see how anyone can afford to sell and ship the stuff. Or do most of the guys just sell it locally?

You can ship through the post office using a flat rate box. A medium flat rate box can hold up to 70 lbs for $11 shipping.

largom
08-24-2011, 01:26 PM
That small-letter stuff is probably MONOtype, not lino. Mono is lino on steroids - 9%Sn, 19%Sb, especially hard to stand up to re-use (lino is remelted each time, but not mono). Do a BHN test to find out. If it reads in the low 20's, probably lino. High 20's, probably mono.

I did check for BHN and it runs 21-22, I do have some Monotype in large 1/2 in. letter form acquired about a year ago.

Larry