PDA

View Full Version : S&W mod 10

bushytail man
08-02-2011, 07:00 PM
I have a mod 10 HB that is like new (99.99percent) which cost me a cool $100.
I would like to open the rear sight notch for easier sighting and have a dovetail cut for a new front sight, perhaps a gold bead or XS standard dot.
Has anyone done this or can anyone recommend a good smith for this? This will be a bedroom gun and plinker.

Has anyone used the S&W J frame sights on a K frame mod 10? Thanks.

358wcf
08-02-2011, 07:08 PM
You might contact Bowen Classic Arms- they are milling frames and mounting the J Frame adjustable sights on many small, fixed sight revolvers nowdays- I'll bet they can do as you ask, but I will wager it's cheaper to purchase a S&W revolver with adj sights instead of paying the freight for the 'smithing work-

Chuck
358wcf [smilie=1:[smilie=1:[smilie=1:

08-02-2011, 11:13 PM
The S&W 10 is a great gun just the way it is. Those fixed sights are joy once you get used to 'em. My issued 10's have served me well in all sorts of situations. Before you bubba it up, just take it out and shoot it. I bet you will be very happy with it's performance. It is what it is. I respectfully submit that any thoughts that an adjustable sighted, fiber optic front sighter will be any better as a nightstand night fighter, may be overoptimistic. Over the years, I got so used to mine that there were times during PPC courses I didn't even aim at some stations to get regular 10's & x's. You want an adjustable sighter, you might be happier to just buy one. 358wcf's recommendation of Bowen Classic Arms is a good idea if that's the way you want to go. Good luck.

Char-Gar
08-04-2011, 06:13 PM
You can sell that 99.99% Model 10 for enough to buy an adjustable sight K frame Smith. Then two folks will be happy. You will have your pistol with better sights and somebody will have a minty Model 10. I see no sense in butchering that fine pistol. I have had a number of them over the years (I have 2 now) and never found the fixed sights to be a a concern. Stick to factory level loads in the 150-160 grain bullets and the pistol will shoot to the sights with no problems.

MtGun44
08-04-2011, 10:31 PM
What Chargar said.

You will spend $150-200 to have the work done properly and then the gun will LOSE value.

Sell it and buy an adjustable sight gun (Mod 15 or 67 in SS) or learn to love it as it is.

Bill

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-04-2011, 10:41 PM
I was bidding on a Mod. 10 at a Live Auction last friday, I stopped bidding at $400.
it sold for $500+ and it was well worn all around.
your's should be worth more.
Don't modify it !
Jon