PDA

View Full Version : New Guy, Info on Marlin .38-55

mrtonegto
08-02-2011, 11:31 AM
New to the forum and to reloading. I posted over in the Equipment section but maybe I should have posted here instead................

My Marlin is an 1894 manuf. in 1903. I slugged the barrel and its .380 and in VG condition.

I'd like to use a hand press and make rounds that are soft lead and .220 or so. At this point I'd prefer to buy the boolits but would like to make them myself eventually.
- I only see Lee hand presses, are there others? Which one would be best?

- I've read here that there are some issues with sizing and crimping with some dies. Which dies would perform well based on my .380 barrel and a .220 boolit?

- I'd like to know of your successful loads for both hunting (deer, coyote) and plinking.

Looking forward to having some fun in my retirement................

WARD O
08-02-2011, 12:41 PM
The Marlin lever in 38-55 would be a Model 1893, the 1894 is the short action for the 38-40, 44-40 etc.

I shoot both powders but primarily use black powder in my 38-55. While the gun does not require black, it is a lot of fun to use.

Check out Montana Bullet Works - he makes some very good bullets and can provide 380 diameter. Most 38-55 ammo originally came with 255 grain bullets. To begin with, you should try buying a few styles and see what your gun likes to shoot.

I do not use Lee loaders or such so you will have to find your information there from someone else.

Current Winchester brass is short compared to the length the gun is designed to shoot. Starline does offer brass in the original length.

Nice classic rifle and caliber - have fun.

Ward

docone31
08-02-2011, 01:00 PM
Lyman has a 310 tool with long handles that should bring back nostalgia for that rifle
They are a great rifle. I like it better than 30-30.

mrtonegto
08-02-2011, 01:20 PM
Can't type........ meant 1893!

Thanks for the info fellas. I'm struggling on what brand dies to use because of the .380 bore.

I'm definitely going with the Starline brass and that may have some affect on the die choices as well.

Hoping to get some input on the dies so I can get this stuff ordered before the weekend and the wife finds out..............

WARD O
08-02-2011, 03:18 PM
Starline makes both the old standard length (long) and the new shorter version of the brass - might as well get the long one the gun was made to handle.

Most commercial cast bullets would have the crimp groove in the correct locations to work with the long brass. (The short brass would give you more room for a longer nosed bullet that would still function through the action.)

You might want to do a chamber cast and see what kind of diameter you have in the neck area of the chamber. I ran into an issue with my Win Hi Wall 40-82 where the bore diameter was so close to the neck diameter that when using a properly sized lead bullet, the cartridge would not chamber as it was too thick in the neck area. One of the nice features of using black powder, if you have a bore larger than the soft lead bullet you are using, the "bump" from the black powder will slug up (obturate) the bullet so it will fit the bore perfectly. This is just one of those issues one could run into when dealing with guns made over 100 years ago....

Ward

mrtonegto
08-02-2011, 03:46 PM
Anyone use this Lyman set up (large handle)?

Looks like a good value.

mrtonegto
08-02-2011, 03:52 PM
Thank Ward, I'm learning as I go.............

If I understand what I've read elsewhere regarding BP, you must never leave a dead space between the boolit and the charge. Risk of damage to the weapon, shooter, etc.

I'm not sure I'd want to go BP but if I go that way what would be best to fill the void? And doesnt having to do that (filling the void) add another level of complexity - having to make certain the void is completely filled?

coyotebait
08-02-2011, 04:27 PM
mrtonegto
What a fun rifle to shoot!
You fill the void with black powder. In other words, use enough black to completely fill the case below the seated boolit.
With regard to dies, I use the RCBS cowboy dies to load for my Marlin 1893 38-55, which has a .380 groove. They work fine. The expander plug measures .376 and with the thin Starline 2.125" brass works OK. With the Lee 379-250-RF and Trailboss powder it shoots one ragged hole at 50 yards at 1080 fps.
coyotebait

mrtonegto
08-02-2011, 04:34 PM
Thanks for that Coyotebait, sounds like you got it figured out.

If you zeroed in at say 100 yards, where would that round be at 50 yds.?

If zeroed at 50 yds. how much drop at 100 yds.? Must be considerable.............

coyotebait
08-02-2011, 05:33 PM
mrtongto
We shoot steel targets offhand from 60-200 yards at our local levergun matches. At 60 my barrel sight elevator is in the second notch at 100 the third, at 150 the fifth, and at 200 I put a small shim under the elevator.
coyotebait

WARD O
08-02-2011, 05:40 PM
If you use real black powder, you will not likely be able to get 55 grains behind the bullet very easily. It will probably hold around 45 +/- without compression. Use a long drop tube to dribble in your powder and it will fit better allowing a little more. Seat the bullet firmly on the powder and it will likely shoot just fine with whatever amount of powder it takes to snuggly fill the space behind the bullet. Use 2F Goex if you want a slightly slower load, go to Goex 3F if you want a slightly faster load, go to Swiss powder if you want even just a little more velocity yet. A 100 yard zero might be something like 3" high at 50 yards.

Many people seem to be afraid of using black but there is no need for that. Cleaning the rifle is very important but quite easy. Cleaning the brass is the more difficult task and they need detail cleaning every time as well or they will be short lived.

I would also encourage the use of a regular reloading press and dies over the Lee or Lyman tong tool. The problem with getting into this reloading hobby is that it is very addicting........

Ward

Irascible
08-03-2011, 10:07 PM
You can also try Accurate 5744. It is a bulky powder so will fill the case fairly well. I use 20 gr under a 265gr home cast bullet and it is quite accurate. Even a full case of Trail boss is a very slow but medium-high pressure load. Rimrock bullets can supply you with bullets that are not overly hard and can be had with SPG lube if you want to try the black powder.