PDA

View Full Version : Steve Young (Nate Kiowa Jones) peep sights Rossi M92

wvmedic
08-02-2011, 06:55 AM
Anyone using one of Steve's peep sights, if so would it make a good hunting sight?
I know he makes them for CAS, but I'm not sure if it would do well for hunting.
I have never used a peep sight on anything except a compound bow, is the function of the peep on a firearm comparable to using one on a bow?
I have used a scope for the last 33 years and I really do not want to scope my Rossi M92.

Thanks Jeff

Dan Cash
08-02-2011, 08:37 AM
The use of a "peep" sight on a rifle is identical to that on a bow except the aperture is close to the eye where it is supposed to be. I can not speak directly regarding Steve's sight but in general, you will find an aperture rear sight to be fast and accurate. If the aperture is not too small, it will work exceptionally well in low light.

pmer
08-02-2011, 08:50 AM
Another place for Rossi sights is Skinner sights (.com) They have choices for a peep on the bolt or on the barrel and they shipped pretty quick for me too.

To me a peep is the next best thing to a scope. I have a sporterized '03-A3 with a williams peep on it and hit a running deer 4 out of 5 times. Last shot was 315 paces in the neck and that took care of him.

SmuvBoGa
08-02-2011, 09:30 AM
I bought the parts from "Nate" for my Rossi 357. His instructions are easy to follow & you just have to provide the cussing for re-assembly after polishing parts. The peep is good to approx 100yds - - along about there the front sight gets too thick to see much beyond. The peep is EASY to install & use. Happy camper with mine.

JMc

wvmedic
08-02-2011, 11:11 AM
Thanks for the info folks.

Dan Cash size of the aperture is what concerns me most, I should have pointed that out when I asked about Steve's being good for hunting.

pmer the reason for going with Steve's is that it mounts on the bolt where the safety is, it replaces the safety. Just punch out the pin and his peep sight drops in. No need to drill and tap.

Bill Weddle, no Steve Young has a peep sight that as I mentioned above his just drops in to replace the safety.

SmuvBoGa, thats the info I'm looking for.

I have just tried to call Steve but no luck, I'm going to shoot him an E-Mail and ask what diameter the aperture is. If it is to small I might be able to put it on the drill press and open it up a little.

Jeff

wvmedic
08-02-2011, 11:46 AM
SmuvBoGa, how was the windage? Did you need to move you're front sight?

Jeff

cajun shooter
08-02-2011, 12:00 PM
Are you talking about the receiver sight that Steve sells that is a ghost ring only and goes where the safety was removed from? For the woods of WV this sight should work well. If you hunt a power line or pipe line then I would use a tang sight or scope.

wvmedic
08-02-2011, 12:32 PM
Hey cajun shooter that is the one. No more power line hunting for me, I bought this M92 in
.357 for short range. Up close kind of like a long range bow shot, I've just lost interest in shooting 200 or 300 yards. I do want to be able to shoot this .357 out to 125 yards, just incase I see a nice Buck and have the itch to take the shot.

Jeff

wvmedic
08-02-2011, 08:47 PM
This is the sight I'm talking about.
http://i308.photobucket.com/albums/kk324/wvmedic31/Rossi%20M92/PeepOnRifle.jpg

Bellow is a description of the sight.

Elevation adjustable bolt mounted peep sight. This sight replaces the ugly safety. It is elevation adjusted by turning it in or out and uses a knurled finger nut to lock it in place. Windage is adjusted by moving the front sight left or right in its dovetail.

I received an E-Mail from Steve and he said the standard size of the aperture is .096, there is different apertures available though.

Jeff

pietro
08-04-2011, 06:34 PM
I made my own, using a Skinner LoPro Peep

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-8/1056072/DSCN0053.JPG

Since it sits over the FP, on the bolt/bore C/L, it's readily zeroes using the issue front sight blade & a minimal (1/64") front sight windage adjustment.

It takes any screw-in aperture, or one can simply remove the aperture and shoot using the resulting Ghost Ring.

robertbank
08-04-2011, 06:56 PM
I have the Skinner on my .357mag and it works very well and it will be just the ticket for deer this fall. Sight acquisition is fast. Gotta get another for my .44mag as well.

Take Care

Bob

wvmedic
08-05-2011, 07:07 AM
pietro and robertbank, thank you. What would one need to do to mount a Skinner LoPro on there 92? I'm not a fabricator and don't have any spare Rem safety parts laying around. I can fabricate in a pinch, however it normally looks like I did it in a pinch.

Thanks Jeff

robertbank
08-05-2011, 09:13 AM
The Skinner mounts into the dove tail of the rear sight. I don't have the "Safety" on my gun so I went with the Skinner. If your gun has the "Safety" you might want to go with Steve's arrangement as it mounts closer to your eyes.

Take Care

Bob

wvmedic
08-05-2011, 09:24 AM
Thanks Bob, I did see the Skinner sight that was a replacement for the rear dove tail. You say you get good fast sight acquisition with that sight? How about field of view, is it much better than with the factory sights?

Jeff

Jeff H
08-05-2011, 09:52 AM
I made my own, using a Skinner LoPro Peep......

Pietro,
Which thread size Low Pro did you use? Did you have to thread the safety hole in the Rossi's bolt? They have 6-48 and 8-40 and the hole in my bolt is bigger than either of those.

Thanks.

wvmedic
08-05-2011, 10:03 AM
Jeff H IIRC Pietro used the 6-48. He used an old Rem crossbolt safety button he had in a parts box for the insert bushing, he D&T it for the LoPro.

Jeff

Jeff H
08-05-2011, 10:30 AM
Jeff H IIRC Pietro used the 6-48. He used an old Rem crossbolt safety button he had in a parts box for the insert bushing, he D&T it for the LoPro.

Jeff

Thanks, Jeff. I missed that.
I have the drills and taps and could find a piece of stock to fit the hole.
I guess in my case, it would be as easy to mount a Lyman or Williams if I have to D/T.

lonnydk
08-05-2011, 11:40 AM
I put steves sight on my 16 inch barrel and it works great with the original front sight. I used the small peep for sighting in and then removed it and use it as a ghost ring. Very very fast and accurate. It is the cats meow for these old eyes.

robertbank
08-05-2011, 12:41 PM
Thanks Bob, I did see the Skinner sight that was a replacement for the rear dove tail. You say you get good fast sight acquisition with that sight? How about field of view, is it much better than with the factory sights?

Jeff

I found no difference. I use the standard peep aperture that comes with the gun. I got the larger one as well but haven't used it yet. I am about to get another set and will also buy the smallest aperture for target work.

Take Care

Bob

wvmedic
08-05-2011, 01:16 PM
lonnydk, thank you for you're input.

Bob I might just get the Skinner and try it, at least I will not have to buy a dove tail plug with it. If that doesn't work I see about getting one from Steve.

Jeff

wvmedic
08-06-2011, 06:01 PM
Well I ordered the Skinner this morning before heading out to work, I did get the barrel mounted peep sight. I post when I get it mounted and sighted in.

Thanks to everyone for the input.

Jeff

wvmedic
08-16-2011, 03:55 PM
Well I did get the sight mounted, however I think it will sit to high. This is the problem I was having with the factory sight, I couldn't get the sight low enough. So the rifle was shooting high, I believe that I will revisit the idea of Steve's sight. It will adjust lower and sit just at a guess I haven't measured it but probably eight inches closer to the eye. The skinner is a well made sight and I will keep it for a latter purchase if it will work on it.

pietro
08-17-2011, 06:27 PM
The Skinner LoPro can be mounted using the issue bolt-top safety.

Open the bolt, drift out the safety retaining pin in the locking lug notches of the bolt - take care that the little spring-driven safety detent ball doesn't fly away to parts unknown when the safety is withdrawn from the bolt.

On the bottom of the safety body, file or grind away/off the 3/4 projection - which shortens the safety so it will not foul the firing pin.

File/grind off the ears from the top of the safety - and have the safety body center drilled & tapped 6-48.

Special order (no extra charge) the LoPro with a 6-48 stem - which leaves plenty of safety "meat" around the peep seat.

Reassemble the modified safety into the bolt, with it's detent, and pin it in place.

Screw in the LoPro, and zero the rifle - I thinned the Skinner's circular locking ring, so my LoPro would sit lower on the bolt.
The ring's diameter is large enough to hide the on/off safety detent notches, that cut into the safety hole even with the bolt top surface.

It took me longer to post about it, than it took to actually do it.

wvmedic
08-17-2011, 09:19 PM
Thanks pietro. I went out to shoot it today still shooting high with the barrel mount.

Now I have an even bigger problem, this gun is jamming bad with .38 spcl. If I load one round in the magazine tube it will pick it up and load fine, if I load more than one round the carrier will not lift the round up correctly and the next round is pushed out under the round and jams up the action. I think it might be the shorter .38 rounds, the rounds are slipping past the stop on the loading gate and the carrier stop. Then the carrier will not lift it all the way and the next round slips under it and causes a jam. It started with .357 magnums Federal 158 gr. JSP's, I was at the range and had a jam so bad I couldn't clear it. I brought it home and took it apart to clear the jam. The rn Remington FMJ .38's feed slick the first 50 we ran thru it, now it will not cycle them but will cycle the .357.

If I can't get it to cycle the .38's I guess I will have to light load the .357 brass for plinking. I am going to mount a peep in the bolt, if I can solve the feeding issue.

Jeff

helice
08-17-2011, 10:51 PM
I put one of Steve's bolt safety replacement sights on a M-92 LSI. It's a great sight and I got rid of that goofy safety. Couldn't be happier.

wvmedic
08-29-2011, 06:17 PM
I ordered the sight from Steve on the 22nd and it came in today. Looks grate, now to get it on and to the range to sight it in.

As noted in my other post, I think the feeding problem is fixed. I'm not sure what caused it in the first place but it is feeding well now.

Jeff

no34570
08-30-2011, 06:43 PM
I emailed Steve to see about getting his dvd and maybe some bits that is not restricted here,like the magazine follower and a few springs,but I got no reply,emailed twice more,still no reply,maybe he don't send to overseas customers?????

wvmedic
08-30-2011, 10:50 PM
For those who have used Steve's sight. Was it a snug fit? I put mine on this evening and it is quite loose. I sent Steve an E-Mail and am waiting on him to reply, I asked him if I was supposed to use the ball bearing from the safety.

Though I do not see how one would get it and the bushing in at the same time. I might have to try and shim it or use some epoxy on it to increase the dia.

Has anyone else ran into this?

Jeff

robertbank
08-30-2011, 11:06 PM
Mine was a very snug fit and I had to trim it to fit.

Take Care

Bob

wvmedic
08-31-2011, 11:31 PM
Well I spoke to Steve this evening and he said that Rossi has been all over the place with there dimensions.

So what I did was rotate the bushing and using a dermel tool, I ground another notch in the bushing for the pin to fit into. This grove is not as deep as the one that Steve put in, so the pin is a snug fit. Now the sight is rock solid.

Also I really like the sight mounted in the bolt, it is now probably only six inches from the eye. Also it opens the sight radius another six to eight inches over the factory sight radius. This should lend it's self to better accuracy, I plan to sight it in with the aperture in place then remove it and use the ghost ring for normal use.

All in all I like this set up better that the Skinner dovetail replacement, the Skinner is well made and is a good sight. I just like the sight closer to my eye, it feels more natural to me. Maybe it is from my bow hunting with a peep sight for so many years.

Jeff