PDA

View Full Version : Herters 44 caliper pistol jackets

Willyp
08-01-2011, 11:58 PM
I came on to a bunch of these. Are they of any use??

garandsrus
08-02-2011, 12:30 AM
Sure.... I would be interested in purchasing them from you depending on quantity, condition,and price.

John

Willyp
08-02-2011, 01:18 AM
I will go thru them and see how many there are. May be some other calipers also?
The ones i've looked at,are like new and shinny,some are in boxes[ Herters],some are in plastic bags.

DukeInFlorida
08-02-2011, 07:58 AM
Likely they are "half jackets"

I bought some from another castboolit member a while back. They work great with the correct sized core. I run them through the cannelure tool, and that seems to lock them together quite well.

Half jackets used to be notorious for separating from the cores going through the bore.

Mountain Prepper
08-02-2011, 08:40 AM
Likely they are "half jackets"

I bought some from another castboolit member a while back. They work great with the correct sized core. I run them through the cannelure tool, and that seems to lock them together quite well.

Half jackets used to be notorious for separating from the cores going through the bore.

I have had luck with 9mm using .357 half jackets and having the 1/2 jacket just into the Ogive to start to fold over and extend a lead tip - covers the lead and the only thing touching the rifling is the jacket, runs like a regular jacketed bullet if the lead never touches the inside.

Red River Rick
08-02-2011, 11:37 AM

????????????????????????

LAH
08-02-2011, 12:20 PM
I have some of these also.

DukeInFlorida
08-02-2011, 03:02 PM
I've never had those issues, only reporting what I had heard from the old timers.

Still, I seal mine with the cannelure.

See this thread:
http://smith-wessonforum.com/reloading/186369-speer-357-146-gr-jhp.html

And, read post #'s 7 and 8, and the comment in post #10. That's what I remember hearing from the old timers.

????????????????????????

Red River Rick
08-04-2011, 02:37 PM
I've never had those issues, only reporting what I had heard from the old timers.

I read it. But the word used is MAY. Total speculation.

RRR