PDA

View Full Version : buckhorn sights

wgr
08-01-2011, 11:18 PM
could someone explain to me how the buckhorn sight is supposed to be used. thinks bill

waksupi
08-02-2011, 12:28 AM
Bill, I have a couple rifles with buckhorn sights. I don't care for them if I use the tiny notch to sight with. I started using mine like a big aperture sight. Had to put on higher front sight blades, but sure does help tired eyes.

wgr
08-02-2011, 12:30 AM
thinks i dont like them eather just cant get the shot were i want it

badbob454
08-02-2011, 02:02 AM
I DONT KNOW ...Never could hit anything with em either ... Military or peep sights good

bigted
08-02-2011, 03:36 AM
what waksupi said x2. i never liked to pull the bead down into the small notch either as almost all of the target...animal or paper...disappeared behind the blade with the small notch in it.

i do however use to good results a 'FULL' buckhorn where the horns of the sight come back together and almost touch at the top of the loop. i also install a higher then stock front sight...small bead...and use the "full buck-horn" as a peep sight. they are very rugged and very fast to sight thru as well. the balance of your rifle is undisturbed and the natural holding place is un-disturbed as well.

there is no science involved in using a buck-horn as it was meant to tho. you pull the front bead/post down into the notch in the buck horn and either place the bead/post on whatever you wanna hit or use the 6-oclock hold where you place the item you want to hit on top of the bead/post and walla....hit the durn thing as long as the trigger squeeze/sight picture hold true thru the process. easy cheesy...i dont care for em either except as described above... with the FULL BUCKHORN sight...then they make a dynamite sight for hunting and thrashing about.

NickSS
08-02-2011, 05:51 AM
The original idea for a full buckhorn sight was to give you three aiming points for longer range hunting back when they were still using Muzzle loaders. Take a fine bead for close range use it as a peep sight for longer ranges and hold the front sight between the ears for long range shots. Of course you first had to figure out where your rifle was zeroed before using them that way.

cajun shooter
08-02-2011, 11:24 AM
Go to the site of Long Hunter and look at his sights. I use a front sight on all my lever action rifles that is .450 high with a .130 brass bead. The rear sight has a wide cut and is flat across the top. This allows me to use the sight elevator all the way down for out to 50 yards. I am shooting 44-40's. Each step up in elevation is about equal to 50 yards. This gives you in theory a range of 300 yards maximum. This would have to be range shot to see what your rifle will do. The rear flat blade makes it very fast to align the sights and make fast accurate shots. They sell different sizes that are shorter and taller with this sight being in the middle. It works well for my type of shooting.

August
08-02-2011, 11:32 AM
A full buckhorn sight is used as an APERTURE.

It is excellent for very fast sight picture acquisition when used with both eyes open.

An, by settling down into the notch, it can be a precision sight also.

I use Buckhorns on all my race guns and they are superb for fast running.

The only downside, is they tend to block adjacent targets. That's why they are meant to be used with both eyes open.

historicfirearms
04-20-2016, 11:23 AM
I am bringing this thread back from the dead to show that anything gun related, that is worth reading, is right here on Cast Boolits. Do a google search on pretty much anything interesting to a gun nut, and it will lead you right here to this site. Amazing!

pietro
04-20-2016, 11:48 AM
A full buckhorn sight is used as an APERTURE.

+1

http://s26.postimg.org/w79zlw0op/Using_the_Peephorn.jpg

1989toddm
04-20-2016, 01:39 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160420/6105339bd76a5d3c752d152d071d75b9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M-Tecs
04-20-2016, 02:03 PM
Nice diagram.

BCRider
04-20-2016, 02:14 PM
Used as a "peephorn" sight as shown in that graphic makes TOTAL sense. And if the horns were sized right it could work for any sort of load.

The buckhorn sights seen on many of today's rifles though don't seem to know if they are supposed to be just a regular notch with wings or if they are buchhorns. It seems to be just a confusing mess that gets in the way much too often.

On my own Rossi lever rifle I sort of make my own mini "peephorn" sights when I got a rifle with too low a front sight and opened up the rear notch to a mouth upwards "C" shape. With my cowboy action loads anything within 30 yards I hold like "A" in the picture. For out at 50 I hold in the mini mouth up "C" as in drawing "B" but with some compensation for the fact that the support for the blade is a curved sided blade. And for out at 100 I hold like in "D"

The outer larger "ears" of the buckhorns have since been cut and filed away to create a smooth top line flush with the corners of the small "C" shape you see here in the picture. The shape was filed out with a combination of a small flat mini file used on edge to deepen the slot and then rounded with a rat tail mini file to form the C you see here.

I've seriously been thinking of cutting away the sides to form a true mini peephorn style sight as even with the horns cut away it's still hiding the next target pretty badly.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y252/BCRider/Gun%20pictures/RossiRearSight.jpg

johnson1942
04-21-2016, 11:19 PM
i silver soldered a small flat washer over the buckhorn so it keeps its appearance as a buckhorn but is now a ghost ring sight. i now either buy a well made ghost ring or make my own. they are fast to sight in and easy to use.