PDA

View Full Version : Excessive cylinder to barrel gap

PacMan
08-01-2011, 08:44 AM
Come across a good deal on a bisley 44sp but not sure about buying it. It has the typical oversized throats just like mine but it also has a cylinder to barrel gap of .005.
Is that too much and if so what are the effects of the gap being so wide?

As always thanks for the info.
Dwight

looseprojectile
08-01-2011, 10:56 AM
Five thousandths sounds perfect. Not excessive. Fifteen would be too much.
Which Bisley .44 special? Shouldn't matter much.
I once had a Ruger Flattop .357 that had twelve thousandths gap and I went to all the trouble to turn the barrel in one turn and got .003". After all the fitting of the ejector housing and such it shot worse or no better after all the tinkering.

Get the gun.

Life is good

44man
08-01-2011, 11:59 AM
Nothing to worry about, another way over blown thing saying it needs to be real small.

white eagle
08-01-2011, 12:16 PM
I agree Dwight if it feels good buy it

Ed K
08-01-2011, 12:22 PM
I'd worry more about the oversized throats. Even though I agree 0.005" is fine, you could always set the barrel back. How are you going to add metal to those throats?

PacMan
08-01-2011, 12:23 PM
I have to agree with you guys for sure.
I screwed up and ask if i could shoot the gun and of course he said yes. He came to the house and i took some 280WFN rounds that i had loaded with a stout does of Lil Gun. First six shots were within 2" at 25 yds. He got real quite for a moment and asked if he could try with my loads and stupid me said sure. His group went into less than 2".
He said that he was never able to get under 3" with store bought bullets.

Long story short is he still has the revolver and i sold him 100 of the 280WFN sized and lubed.
OH well i did not really need it any way.

white eagle
08-01-2011, 08:57 PM
look at this way you just converted a
factory man to cast boolit handloads

Multigunner
08-01-2011, 09:08 PM
.005 is not bad at all. Anything between .004-.008 is okay. If too tight fouling build up can cause cylinder drag.

MtGun44
08-01-2011, 11:20 PM
I agree. Good number, about perfect.

Bill

redneckdan
08-02-2011, 12:16 AM
how over sized? my bisley runs .430 bore and .432 throats Good enough for me.

got_lead?
08-02-2011, 02:25 AM
Dwight:

.005" sounds good here. I have several revolvers and they all run from .004" to .006". I do have one that is tighter, measuring .002", and I just went shooting this afternoon with it. Guess what, it binds up. I am going to have to dress the forcing cone back a couple of thousandths. So you really don't want the BC gap too tight. .005" sounds just right. I have read several articles stating that velocity is not affected at all until the BC gap exceeds .008" So you're good.

PacMan
08-02-2011, 05:05 AM
got lead? unless the gun was real dirty i would guess that the cylinder face is not flat and may need surfacing and maybe the base pin has a little too much slop also. Of course the quickest fix is to reface the barrel increasing the gap.

redneckdan- yea i have .432 throats also

mroliver77
08-02-2011, 08:32 AM
I have to agree with you guys for sure.
I screwed up and ask if i could shoot the gun and of course he said yes. He came to the house and i took some 280WFN rounds that i had loaded with a stout does of Lil Gun. First six shots were within 2" at 25 yds. He got real quite for a moment and asked if he could try with my loads and stupid me said sure. His group went into less than 2".
He said that he was never able to get under 3" with store bought bullets.

Long story short is he still has the revolver and i sold him 100 of the 280WFN sized and lubed.
OH well i did not really need it any way.

Thanks Dwight!:-D You gave me a good laugh with that story.:Fire:
Did you invite him to cast boolits?

I just had a thought:roll: didn't you get that there mold from me? I was wondering how it worked out for you.
Jay

got_lead?
08-02-2011, 12:11 PM
Dwight:

Thanks, I know what you mean, cutting back the forcing cone is the last resort. The gun is a Taurus 85, and I thought about shimming the base pin, but there isn't enough end shake to move it back without binding. I also inspected the cylinder face, and there are tool marks that are retaining lead, hence the binding. I'm going to start by just polishing the cylinder face.

Taking metal off is easy, putting it back is more difficult.