PDA

View Full Version : Lee sizer lubber

edsmith
08-01-2011, 02:35 AM
I was sizing a bunch of 45s today, I tumble lube, while doing it, I was thinking there must be a better way than tumble lubing, sizing then tumble lubing again, I came up with a gismo that lubes the boolit when you size it, no tumble lubing before sizing, only after sizing.I have not made it yet, I will in the next few days, no reason for it not to work, it is a 1" round peice of alu. or steel stock, 5/8" long, drill a 3/4" hole 9/16" deep, that will leave a 1/16" bottom rim, drill a hole .05 larger than your largest boolit that you are going to size through the bottom of the 3/4" hole. at the top, drill and tap a small hole for a set screw, that will clamp the luber to the bottom of the lee sizing die. make 2 washers 3/4" in dia. the center hole will be .05 larger than the boolit you will be sizing. make a felt or sponge washer 3/4" in dia. 1/4" thick, make the center hole just a little smaller than the boolit you are sizing. thin out some alox and soak the felt or spong washer with it. also drill 2 or 3 holes aroung the bottom of the gismo to add lube to the felt washer. drop one of the metal washers into the body of the luber, then drop the felt washer on it, then drop the other metal washer on top of the felt washer, then slip the luber over the bottom of the sizer die, tighen the set screw and size your boolit in the regular way, the boolit should pick up enough lube to size the boolit with no problems or leading. I will try to get some photos or drawings in the next few days.:drinks:

Wayne Smith
08-01-2011, 11:16 AM
Ed, there is a rather long thread down in Projects about ways to do this. You might want to find it.

thehouseproduct
08-01-2011, 12:41 PM
Sounds like an RCBS lube that uses LLA instead of case lube.
You can just see the felt ring:
http://www.sportsmanshuntingwarehouse.com/shop/media/images/product_detail/rcbspicrcbslubedie.jpg

edsmith
08-02-2011, 09:59 PM
thanks Wayne, this gismo is for just lubing the boolit as it is sized, the boolit is tumbled lubed after sizing. I just wanted to elimate tumble lubing the boolit twice. I think I would buy a lyman 45 befor trying to make a pressure luber out of a lee sizer.:brokenima:grin::drinks:

454PB
08-02-2011, 10:21 PM
You don't have to tumble lube before sizing, there are many lubes that ease the trip through the sizer. I use boot waterproofing for that purpose, smearing a light dab on every third or fourth boolit. Some say they use soapy water as a "pre-lube". I save the liquid alox for boolit lube.

milprileb
08-02-2011, 11:39 PM
If TL worked better for me, my Lyman 450 would be on the sales forum pronto. However, I only have one success with TL and that is with one load for 45acp.

However if I were a TL guy, I would not worry about this lube step before sizing and then re lube post sizing. Its so easy to do, so fast and so bloody convenient..... there is no traction for me to chase rainbows about double lubing as a way TL has to be.

Just an opinion. That said: I wish TL did work for me and I will try Recluse formula shortly in hopes that it will change my luck