PDA

View Full Version : Marbles Tang Sight Elevation Stop

ChuckB
07-31-2011, 01:51 PM
I have an improved Marbles tang sight on my late model Rossi Puma 1892. I shoot silhouette targets at ranges from 40-100 meters which requires frequent elevation changes. The lowest elevation is 5 full turns from the bottom and the maximum elevation is 3 full turns above that.

I am looking way to return the sight to zero (5 turns above the lowest possible setting). I have contacted Marbles and Brownells without success. Does any know the thread size of the shaft so that I can locate and locktite a nut for an elevation stop?

John Boy
07-31-2011, 03:51 PM
Chuck, hate to be a smart 'a' but always ask to be squaded on the chickens first!
I have the same issue with my '92. I just always crank the peep to the bottom and then work up to the required setting

Cimarron Red
07-31-2011, 03:51 PM
ChuckB,

I'm fairly certain the bolt/thread size for both the elevation staff and the windage bolt is 10-32. As you likely know you can also get a higher staff for your sight whose lowest setting may be closer to your + 5 turn setting. BTW, the total range of adjustment on a Marbles sight is approximately 3/8."

Another option is to get a slightly lower front sight which will lower your 40 meter setting closer to the bottom of your sight's range. 5 turns would be 5/32" or about 0.156." So if you can find a front sight that is that much lower, you'd be set.

crabo
08-01-2011, 12:55 AM
This is not what you asked, but here is how I do my smallbore lever. I sight in for a center hold at 50 mts. I then take a paint pen and mark a line down the moveable part and the base. This is as I am looking at it from the back. I call that my 6 o'clock settint.

For chickens, I hold where the legs meet the body.
For pigs, center hold

For turkeys I spin the base around to 11 or 12 oclock depending on weather conditions, and I hold where the legs meet the body
For Rams, I usually spin another complete turn and hold a liitle high above center.

I shoot at 100 to make sure my windage is correct before I mark it. It just so happens, my 50 meter setting is 5 revolutions from the bottom. Hope this makes sense, even though it isn't what you asked for.

Trailblazer
08-01-2011, 11:03 AM
Another way might be to find a small tube that will fit over the stem and cut it to the length you need to stop the sight in the right place.

ChuckB
08-01-2011, 11:29 AM
Thanks for the great suggestions.

Marbles informed me today that the thread size of the shaft is 8-32.

I went to the hardware store and looked at different 8-32 nuts and selected a brass knurled one.

Chuck

ChuckB
08-02-2011, 03:39 PM
Success

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g33/chuckb_2006/100_4155.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g33/chuckb_2006/100_4156.jpg

The only difficulty I had was getting the alignment pin back in. Because the adjustment knob blocked the alignment pin hole in the shaft, I had to drive the alignment pin in with a punch through the set screw hole. I used partly open needle nosed pliers behind the shaft to the support the shaft and allow room for the pin to go through. Work over a pan to catch the bearings that fall out.

mrtonegto
08-02-2011, 11:01 PM
You have great hardware store where you're at.

That was one lucky find these days!