PDA

View Full Version : Propane tank pot capacity

wtfooptimax200
07-31-2011, 08:45 AM
How much weight do you smelt in your propane tank pot in one batch? I haven't used mine yet, but I was thinking that 100 pounds would be a good number.

imashooter2
07-31-2011, 10:59 AM
A cut in half propane tank has a working capacity of about 2 gallons or approximately 190 pounds of alloy.

LabGuy
08-01-2011, 06:35 PM
I've done a little over 160 lbs. in mine.

Lee W
08-01-2011, 07:00 PM
I get 200 just above the weld line.

oscarflytyer
08-01-2011, 11:47 PM
have a tank to cut/convert. Assumed I would cut it at the weld line. Better advice? Can anyone post a pic(s) of their pot? Thanx

MT Gianni
08-01-2011, 11:58 PM
Make sure that you have it setting on solid legs or a good burner stand.

oscarflytyer
08-02-2011, 12:24 AM
Make sure that you have it setting on solid legs or a good burner stand.

Planned on using one of the two turkey fryer burners I have - whichever one it sits more stable on.

lwknight
08-02-2011, 01:48 AM
Planned on using one of the two turkey fryer burners I have - whichever one it sits more stable on.

Whatever you do , you had best beef it up to a very sturdy condition. That is a lot of weight and hot lead to get loose. If you can dance on the turkey burner and feel warm and fuzzy that it's plenty strong then full steam ahead.

Beware that the tank actually fits in such a way that it cannot be accidentally tipped over. Consider that you will likely at some time put large chunks of lead pipe or something that will hang over the side and throw it out of balance.

You cannot be too careful with a 100+ pound pot of molten lead. Many of us have scars to remind us of that fact.

oscarflytyer
08-02-2011, 07:08 AM
Whatever you do , you had best beef it up to a very sturdy condition. That is a lot of weight and hot lead to get loose. If you can dance on the turkey burner and feel warm and fuzzy that it's plenty strong then full steam ahead.

Beware that the tank actually fits in such a way that it cannot be accidentally tipped over. Consider that you will likely at some time put large chunks of lead pipe or something that will hang over the side and throw it out of balance.

You cannot be too careful with a 100+ pound pot of molten lead. Many of us have scars to remind us of that fact.

Well, I am SOL! I CAN'T DANCE!!! But get the weight issue. Had no idea it would hold 100 lbs of lead! I doubt I will smelt that much at a time... I only have two 5-6 gal buckets full of WWs now, and they should smelt out about 100lbs ea. And so far, no lead pipe (I wish!). Thanx

a.squibload
08-07-2011, 03:20 PM
I cut mine just above the weld, the top part is larger diameter than the bottom part so
it left a short ring or strip of metal. An edge running around the inside.
At first I thought I would cut that off too but it hasn't been in the way at all.
I wanted a deep pot for capacity, but dipping out the last bit of lead
might be easier with a shorter pot.

Took someone's advice here and cut a strip out of the top to weld to the bottom for stability,
makes the "foot" (base) about the same diameter as the pot.
I drilled holes all around the base ring for airflow/exhaust, and cut notches in the original small ring.

Wish I had put handles on it but I'll never pick it up while full of hot lead!

Also you can save the top for a lid.

Last time I smelted the lead temperature would not get over 550º, normally it could reach 650º pretty easy.
Incomplete combustion from my homemade burner was causing a thick buildup of soot on the bottom of the pot.
Per IOMSKP 's advice I added air injection to the burner tube,
got rid of all the yellow in the flame. Haven't smelted again, bet it will get hot now! And produce less soot.
Of course I cleaned the bottom of the pot.

Having nothing else to do (prerequisite of most scientific endeavors)
I modified a cheap blowoff nozzle with a large hose clamp,
making it fine-adjustable by the turn of a screw.
Inserted the nozzle into a burner feed tube air hole.
I'll have to run the compressor while smelting but the volume of air blowing is small.

Maybe someday I'll find a garage sale turkey fryer burner, but will it have the same air/fuel mixture problem here?
(6000 ft)

imashooter2
08-07-2011, 07:26 PM
Maybe someday I'll find a garage sale turkey fryer burner, but will it have the same air/fuel mixture problem here?
(6000 ft)

It shouldn't. Mine has lots of vent left after adjusting for blue flame.

alamogunr
08-07-2011, 11:49 PM
I cut mine just above the weld, the top part is larger diameter than the bottom part so
it left a short ring or strip of metal. An edge running around the inside.
At first I thought I would cut that off too but it hasn't been in the way at all.
I wanted a deep pot for capacity, but dipping out the last bit of lead
might be easier with a shorter pot.

When I made my pot from a piece of 12" dia steel pipe, I made it too deep. I don't remember what the depth was but I had to go back and cut another 2" off the top. Very hard to get to the bottom. I still end up with about 1-1½" of melt in the bottom. I just leave it there. Makes it easier to get started when I get some more WW to clean up.

a.squibload
08-09-2011, 04:12 AM
The propane pot has a curved bottom, leaves a disc of lead in there
mainly 'cause it gets too hard to scoop any more out.
Maybe ½" thick in the middle. Still like it deep though, so I don't splash any out.

alamogunr
08-09-2011, 07:37 AM
The propane pot has a curved bottom, leaves a disc of lead in there
mainly 'cause it gets too hard to scoop any more out.
Maybe ½" thick in the middle. Still like it deep though, so I don't splash any out.

The curved bottom is definitely a good thing. My pot is flat on the bottom and the sides are straight. This makes getting the disc of lead out a major PIA. I just leave it in as mentioned in my previous post. If I had it to do over, I would make my pot from a propane tank.