PDA

View Full Version : A Greatful Thanks to RanchDog

Gripmaker
07-30-2011, 10:59 PM
I have found a new accuracy bullet in 44 mag for my lever gun and it is all because of Ranch Dog. Thank you, Sir!

Have been having mucho trouble getting anything to shoot in my Rossi 92. Have been shooting 20.5 of 296 and 17.5 of 2400 with 265 Keith bullet in 44 mag for years and it shoots sub 3/4" at 25 yds in my Ruger SS Bisley. Thought it should at least be decent in the Rossi....NOT SO! So I just put her up and concentrated on 44-40 in 66 Winnie. Got her to shoot to 600 yds pretty well so just stuck with that in long range lever gun shoots. Then along comes Ranch Dog and his 265 grn RNFPGC tumble lube bullet and proved that Rossi 92s can be accurate. Just subed the bullet in above formula and she shoots onto 8.5X11 at 300/400 yds. Shot 100+ rounds of this at Whittington Center in June with this load on the sight-in range and kept hearing "ping" when I used to hear silence. I only had one problem...%#*&@ steel buttplate was causing bruised arm so I just cut it off and replaced with magnum recoil pad. GOOOOLLLLYYY, am I a happy camper now!
Thank you for being so persistent, Ranch Dog. God Bless and shoot safe.
Gripmaker

Southern Son
07-31-2011, 03:45 AM
It's a great boolit design, especially for the Marlin 94 (what I have). I got the NOE copy of this boolit without GC and with normal lube groove. It don't matter if I load it into .44Mag or .44Spl brass, the loaded rounds go through the chambering process so smooth I cannot feel if a round is being chambered or if the magazine was empty and there is nothing going into the chamber. With the same rifle using some other cast bullets, I had hang ups so bad that sometimes I would have to roll the rifle from side to side to chamber the jammed round, I even had hang ups with some factory made rounds loaded with J-bullets.

EDK
07-31-2011, 01:26 PM
+1 on the RANCH DOG original and the NOE modified clone. Feeds great and accurate to boot in an assortment of MARLIN Cowboy Rifles.

Another plus is that the gas checked RD lubed with some version of ALOX, per the tutorial from RD, will remove residual lead from my VAQUEROS.

There are a lot more superb designs for the 44 caliber rifle now than when I started casting back in the 70s. AND the forum save you from having to "re-invent the wheel."

Ranch Dog
08-02-2011, 09:05 AM
Thank you for being so persistent, Ranch Dog. God Bless and shoot safe.

Thank you guys, your comments are appreciated!

white eagle
08-02-2011, 09:58 AM
I have a R/D in 45 cal @ 290 gr p/b
very nice mold and fantastic boolits

Centaur 1
08-02-2011, 12:38 PM
I've got two Ranch Dog molds, the tlc311-165-rf and the tl358-100-rf and I love them both. I don't own any other Lee 6 cavity molds to compare the quality, but the two I bought from RD worked perfectly right out of the box. I have about half a dozen Lee 2 cavity molds and every one needed some work on my part before they'd drop descent boolits, not so with a RD mold. They're great molds at a reasonable price.

oscarflytyer
08-02-2011, 01:08 PM
I have the 265 and plan to cast and work up for my Ruger SBH to hunt with.

If anybody has worked up this bullet for a revolver, pls feel free to share your data! Michael hasn't played with it in revolvers yet. Figured I would start somewhere around low ends for a cast 250 gr and compare to the min load for a jacketed 265 FP and go from there.

Link23
08-05-2011, 05:07 PM
i want that mold but im not a fan of the TL design, Ranch Dog do you make the 265 with normal lube grooves?, i too i have a Rossi, mine is the 44 mag 20 inch barrel im using the lee 310 Grn mold and i like it alot. but over 21 grain of W296, it will kick you around a bit

Link23

EDK
08-05-2011, 05:51 PM
i want that mold but im not a fan of the TL design, Ranch Dog do you make the 265 with normal lube grooves?, i too i have a Rossi, mine is the 44 mag 20 inch barrel im using the lee 310 Grn mold and i like it alot. but over 21 grain of W296, it will kick you around a bit

Link23

NOE has a lube groove clone of the RANCH DOG TLC 432 265...got mine in plain base for mid range revolver loads.

Junior1942
08-06-2011, 09:00 AM
Thank you guys, your comments are appreciated!Well, here's another THANK YOU RANCH DOG! And I still think your 165 is the best cast bullet ever designed for 30-30 lever action.

Ranch Dog
08-09-2011, 11:57 PM
Thanks fellows! I don't get a lot of time to visit here as I stay a pretty busy guy. I really never thought that I would see so many molds leave the ranch. They seem to "kick it" which ever direction they head. I started to walk from the house to my shop a little before 8 this morning and a sounder of feral hogs was trooping across my yard 70-yards out. Two felt the brunt of my 432-300 from my 1894P and that was with one shot!

Anyway, no traditional grooves but it should be covered as indicated. One day I would like to try to figure out how many of my designs, from any source, have been sold. There is bunch out there.

Revolvers will be examined in 2012. My work with the Taurus semi-autos, seven total, gave me quite an interest in their product line to include their concealed carry wheel guns. Here is what I've collected so far; 605 (357 Mag), TALO M44C (44 Mag), and 450 (450 Colt).

http://www.ranchdogoutdoors.com/Firearms/Taurus/Images/taurus_revolvers.jpg

I will add a 41 Mag of the same style before the end of the year. I will take the necessary impressions, get Tom Myers to do my imaging, and then go from there.