PDA

View Full Version : 7-8-9 Oct. Gathering by the lake/range

07-30-2011, 08:47 PM
Have the dates confirmed for the second weekend in Oct. for the gathering. Due to increased prices for renting the dining hall/kitchen we will again meet by the lake under the big blue tarp. They went up on the cabin rentals also--$10 per night per head. We will be tenting ourselves but some have said they want the cabins. We will rent one for bath/shower facilities or they may just allow us to use it-shhh, don't tell. All cooking will be done on the fire pit, charcoal, and camp stoves. Will set up tables like we did previously so bring your camp chairs /etc. Hopefully we can schedule the classes and stick to them a bit closer in order to cover the many areas folks have said they wanted to cover. We will have a quick shelter class, lots of shooting-fun and comp., food preps, and others to be announced. Hope to see lots of new folks as many have expressed a desire to cover preps better. Will be inviting several other sites again so make your plans now. We always have a lot of fun and eat very well.

NoZombies
07-30-2011, 09:15 PM
Could we have more details? Specifically:

Venue

Activities

Thanks!

07-31-2011, 09:06 PM
Here is some info I answered in another forum:
Family went to a gathering near Augusta, Ga over 10 yrs ago and we really enjoyed meeting weird deranged folks like us-lol. A bud from Virginia and I rented the 4-H camp nearby and just invited folks for an outing. We started having "classes" on various prep/survival/ pioneering skills/ shooting subjects taught by those who came and ourselves. We have been doing this every since in April/Oct. Last fall was the least attended but that was the weekend of the horrible tornadoes all over the states(NC/SC). We have covered things like nuke/fallout survival, long term storage, reloading, casting, first aid, foraging, canning, expediant shelters(doing it again this fall), radio com., weaving, primitive weapons, trapping, snaring, hand to hand "contact", etc. During each weekend we eat very well and have a Dutch Oven cooking contest that always surprises everyone with the delicacies. We have killed/processed a goat, chicken, and even a snapping turtle(cooter for you more southern folks), We have had show and tells with several tables of different arms, armorers doing their things, CAS, and competition for all ages plus lots of fun shoots. Between all these events the BS never lets up-lol. Late Saturday evening we usually have a fun auction of things that folks contribute. Some years we have had gate prizes and many times folks just bring things to share. It has become like a big family reunion--and as "Lee" said once "where everybody likes each other". This year we will have another scavenger hunt and another contest with prizes for both winners/runners up. On the range we have had accuracy comps, youth accuracy, and plenty of just play time with safety stressed. We have had shotgun "jungle" lanes and hopefully this year an entry class. There is a nice nature hiking trail well marked around the lake and several old millstones still scattered about. The canoes are ours to use(always wear vests) and there are some nice fish in it. If you want to hunt just come early and we may have a deer to demonstrate processing with. There will be something for all ages and lots even bring their grand kids. Last fall we gathered round the guitars after elegantly dining by the campfire and sang some. If you want to get away from the grind and have a relaxing fun filled educational economical weekend then make plans to come join us. We have had folks come in from Fla, Al, Ga,Tenn, Vir, NJ, and even NC/SC-lol. Last spring a bud drove in from Ohio. The rascal left with all my extra cash--he had lots of cast boolits with him. Am still shooting them. May be able to talk him into coming back. Bring your Dutch Oven or let me know and will bring you one. Try your hand at competing with those "experts" around the coals. We often have "off the cuff" discussions on various subjects. Am always amazed at the knowledge some have and willingly share it. Cost is very nominal this year because we will be doing a BO practice. If you want a cabin it is $10 per head per night. Being an old poor boy (and tight) we will be tenting or campering it. Bring your electric lines and water hoses or use the cabin's facilities. Parking may be at a premium as they have planted shrubbery/trees in most of the old open areas-please do not run over them. Being a family oriented gathering please keep any beverages in ("brown bag") containers per camp rules. The camp is a shooting sports 4-H camp so open carry is fine-most do. Please, if you bring it out of holster unload. As a kid I had a hole put in me from an "unloaded" gun. Safety first as always--we need to be good examples for the kids-they are our future. We usually have community meals. Breakfasts are usually country ham, Rayfield's sausage(Mmmm), bacon, waffles, pan cakes, grits, hash browns, eggs cooked as you like them (long as they are scrambled-lol), coffee, hot chocolat, home made preserves/jellies/jams, and fresh biscuits/maybe ho cake. If you have a particular skill/knowledge please PM and let's put you to work. If you have a particular subject you would like to have covered PM and will try to work it in. We have fun--with a purpose--to learn to be able to provide for our families well being and safety. Gosh, didn't mean to ramble on so long.
Will add this--The camp is located about 6-7 miles East of Ellerbe,NC on Millstone Rd. That is North of Rockingham(74/#1/220) about ten miles. Also if you have NV bring it and we can have a night shoot. The ranges are very nice with about 15' high berms on three sides.

BruceB
07-31-2011, 10:48 PM
Here is some info I answered in another forum:

Family went to a gathering near Augusta, Ga over 10 yrs ago and we really enjoyed meeting weird deranged folks like us-lol.

A bud from Virginia and I rented the 4-H camp nearby and just invited folks for an outing. We started having "classes" on various prep/survival/ pioneering skills/ shooting subjects taught by those who came and ourselves. We have been doing this every since in April/Oct. Last fall was the least attended but that was the weekend of the horrible tornadoes all over the states(NC/SC).

We have covered things like nuke/fallout survival, long term storage, reloading, casting, first aid, foraging, canning, expediant shelters(doing it again this fall), radio com., weaving, primitive weapons, trapping, snaring, hand to hand "contact", etc.

During each weekend we eat very well and have a Dutch Oven cooking contest that always surprises everyone with the delicacies. We have killed/processed a goat, chicken, and even a snapping turtle(cooter for you more southern folks), We have had show and tells with several tables of different arms, armorers doing their things, CAS, and competition for all ages plus lots of fun shoots.

Between all these events the BS never lets up-lol. Late Saturday evening we usually have a fun auction of things that folks contribute. Some years we have had gate prizes and many times folks just bring things to share.

It has become like a big family reunion--and as "Lee" said once "where everybody likes each other". This year we will have another scavenger hunt and another contest with prizes for both winners/runners up.

On the range we have had accuracy comps, youth accuracy, and plenty of just play time with safety stressed. We have had shotgun "jungle" lanes and hopefully this year an entry class. There is a nice nature hiking trail well marked around the lake and several old millstones still scattered about.

The canoes are ours to use(always wear vests) and there are some nice fish in it. If you want to hunt just come early and we may have a deer to demonstrate processing with. There will be something for all ages and lots even bring their grand kids.

Last fall we gathered round the guitars after elegantly dining by the campfire and sang some. If you want to get away from the grind and have a relaxing fun filled educational economical weekend then make plans to come join us. We have had folks come in from Fla, Al, Ga,Tenn, Vir, NJ, and even NC/SC-lol.

Last spring a bud drove in from Ohio. The rascal left with all my extra cash--he had lots of cast boolits with him. Am still shooting them. May be able to talk him into coming back. Bring your Dutch Oven or let me know and will bring you one.

Try your hand at competing with those "experts" around the coals. We often have "off the cuff" discussions on various subjects. Am always amazed at the knowledge some have and willingly share it. Cost is very nominal this year because we will be doing a BO practice.

If you want a cabin it is $10 per head per night. Being an old poor boy (and tight) we will be tenting or campering it. Bring your electric lines and water hoses or use the cabin's facilities. Parking may be at a premium as they have planted shrubbery/trees in most of the old open areas-please do not run over them.

Being a family oriented gathering please keep any beverages in ("brown bag") containers per camp rules.

The camp is a shooting sports 4-H camp so open carry is fine-most do. Please, if you bring it out of holster unload. As a kid I had a hole put in me from an "unloaded" gun. Safety first as always--we need to be good examples for the kids-they are our future.

We usually have community meals. Breakfasts are usually country ham, Rayfield's sausage(Mmmm), bacon, waffles, pan cakes, grits, hash browns, eggs cooked as you like them (long as they are scrambled-lol), coffee, hot chocolat, home made preserves/jellies/jams, and fresh biscuits/maybe ho cake.

If you have a particular skill/knowledge please PM and let's put you to work. If you have a particular subject you would like to have covered PM and will try to work it in. We have fun--with a purpose--to learn to be able to provide for our families well being and safety. Gosh, didn't mean to ramble on so long.

Will add this--The camp is located about 6-7 miles East of Ellerbe,NC on Millstone Rd. That is North of Rockingham(74/#1/220) about ten miles. Also if you have NV bring it and we can have a night shoot. The ranges are very nice with about 15' high berms on three sides.

These monster blocks of solid type are VERY difficult for some of us "seniors" to read, so I took the liberty of breaking it down into paragraphs. Sure sounds like a fine old time for all concerned, and I wish I could've been there.

waksupi
08-01-2011, 01:46 AM
Thank you bruce!

09-12-2011, 09:50 PM
Sorry 'bout the block of words. It was in proper form but got jammed in the transcribing here. Price one has to pay for being lazy-lol. On another note:
Our medicinal herb/survival diet "expert" has taken a job in Texas. We need someone to take his place as several have expressed a desire to know more about it. Any here knowledgeable or know of anyone who could come? Thanks, wc

waksupi
09-13-2011, 12:55 AM
Are you paying travel expenses?

09-25-2011, 06:32 AM
Wish I could but this is just a "social" gathering more than a shooting itenerary. We do have: Went to an NRA mtg. and the gent gave us an Aluminum combination pistol case to give as a door prize. He also tossed in some small Gadson flags(Don't Tread on Me). Have a "defensive pistol" instructor enroute for Sat. Going to be busy Sat so we will have to do some things Fri evening. Come hungry--burgers/beans will be ready early. Still looking for an herbal med instructor. Instead of trophies this year we will have ammo for prizes--something you can use.

10-03-2011, 10:16 PM
Weather is looking great-70+ days. Have name tags so we can learn each other better this time. My memory only stores a few digits-lol. See you there.