PDA

View Full Version : Shot a big one today. BFR .500 S&W.

44man
07-30-2011, 01:16 PM
Whit brought one out to play with and some Double Tap ammo. We had no idea where it hit so I shot 25 yards to get on paper. First was low right. I guessed at the clicks and put the next three touching in the bull.
Tried to shoot farther but forget that. So shady in my valley of death the front sight could not be seen. Even tried shining a flashlight on it.
This thing is a real thumper, need a few elephants running around! :drinks:
The two shots left were off hand sighters from the .500 Linebaugh. Whit got the Ultra Dot adjusted and was hitting my steel chicken at 100 yards. Sheared the aircraft bolts holding the swing chains to the chicken.

Changeling
07-30-2011, 01:29 PM
That is a really nice looking revolver, what bullet weight were you using?

How was the recoil, what was it similar to?

Is that a 10" barrel ?

Whitworth
07-30-2011, 02:09 PM

Is that a 10" barrel ?

10-inch barrel and 400 grain bullets at a claimed 1,800 fps. Accurate piece!

44man
07-30-2011, 02:42 PM

Is that a 10" barrel ?
Recoil is stout, I rubbed my knuckle with the first shot on the rubber behind the guard but a glove cured that. I was getting used to it, wanted more shots but someone stole the sights! My range has a black hole at the other end but it beats shooting out in the hot sun.
I don't know how to compare the recoil, I would have to shoot side by side guns.
I don't know how they get these so accurate. The boolit has to travel about 1-1/8" before touching the forcing cone.

wellfedirishman
07-31-2011, 12:43 AM
Very nice. That is a fairly stout load. Mine is usually a 400 grain Missouri Bullet Company 'Crusher' bullet at 1500 fps, and that hurts a bit.

I had mine cut down to a 5.5" barrel so the muzzle is flush with the ejector rod. It is a much handier size that way.

subsonic
07-31-2011, 08:18 AM
X-frame s&w vs bfr. Which one is more comfy to shoot?

44man
07-31-2011, 09:56 AM
X-frame s&w vs bfr. Which one is more comfy to shoot?
They are close but the porting on the X frame might do something. Whit did not have the large one here with all the barrel weight so that one might be better.
Neither are guns you want to shoot a lot at one time. Sight in and go hunting!
The .475 can be shot 50 times and I have done more. Not this one!
Whits .50 Alaskan is good for 1 shot a week just to sight in over a few months! :groner: Wear a hard hat.
I offered to put aircraft bungee on his barrel to a hook in the ground! ;-)
No doubt about it, the big guns are all nasty.

Changeling
07-31-2011, 03:14 PM
Recoil is stout, I rubbed my knuckle with the first shot on the rubber behind the guard but a glove cured that. I was getting used to it, wanted more shots but someone stole the sights! My range has a black hole at the other end but it beats shooting out in the hot sun.
I don't know how to compare the recoil, I would have to shoot side by side guns.
I don't know how they get these so accurate. The boolit has to travel about 1-1/8" before touching the forcing cone.

Jim this brought up a question, when you said a shooting glove.

What type brand glove is considered the best for the larger revolvers, also when shooting from the bench I've heard you talk about an elbow pad to take up some of the shock to the elbow I take it.

I'm trying to get the shock down so the doctors will let me shoot, maybe. However I have to be cleared or the Insurance companies could possibly void things and thats a BIG No No!:x

waksupi
07-31-2011, 05:41 PM
I have used batting gloves, as used in baseball. Good tight fit. Mechanics gloves would probably work fine, too.

Whitworth
07-31-2011, 06:17 PM
I used to use Mechanix Wear gloves, but picked up a pair of dedicated shooting gloves a while back. The brand is Pro Aim and they are fingerless on the thumb and trigger finger. They help when the recoil goes up. Been shooting a lot of heavies lately and I don't want to do more damage than necessary.

subsonic
07-31-2011, 07:20 PM
Google found www.pro-aim.com

That them?

Whitworth
07-31-2011, 07:31 PM
That's the company. Mine are the 3/4 finger models.

45r
07-31-2011, 07:36 PM
I like the past shooting gloves.they help with taking the sting out of hard kickers and help protect your middle finger knuckle.they leave the finger tips and thumb tip uncovered.the only negative is the leather on the thumb catches the hammer on my 41mag bisley sometimes if I don't hold the grip just right.those pro-aims look good,wonder if they are warm enough for cold weather.

subsonic
07-31-2011, 08:27 PM
3/4 finger look like they would cover the middle finger knuckle and most of the index finger?

Whitworth
07-31-2011, 08:45 PM
3/4 finger look like they would cover the middle finger knuckle and most of the index finger?

Yup. I like these goves a lot.

44man
08-01-2011, 08:47 AM
Yup. I like these goves a lot.
Best I have seen.
I have the past gloves, bought extra large and it takes 5 minutes to get them on or off. Sometimes I wish I had scissors! [smilie=l: They have very little padding and only thin leather at my knuckle. They are such a pain I hardly ever want to put them on.