PDA

View Full Version : Going topless!

XWrench3
07-30-2011, 10:59 AM
Is there a real reason to run my tumbler with the top on? i noticed that there is a lot more agatation and the cases rotate much faster with the top off. the media stays in the bowl also. dust is not an issue, as i use a cap full of mineral spirits in each load.

waksupi
07-30-2011, 11:34 AM
I put my vibrator without the cover in a large tupperware type container. I can then put on the lid to prevent any dust in the air. Another thing it does, is catch all the stray media and cases that hop out of the tub. I then use a colander to pour the brass and media into, and give it a good shaking to empty the cases. All the media falls in the container, and is easily dumped back in the vibrator.

GP100man
07-30-2011, 11:35 AM
But the dust that does settle has lead oxides in it .

Mine also do more agitation with the lid off ,but if I leave the lid off I do it outside.

slide
07-30-2011, 11:35 AM
I was just reading through the classic and stickies section. There was a guy who had discovered the same thing as you. As long as it doesn't cause a mess and cleans the brass better what can it hurt? Surely it wouldn't put undue strain on the tumbler.

BCall
07-30-2011, 12:06 PM
It won't hurt the tumbler or brass, but in my personal experience, dust is still an issue. I use mineral spirits as well, but if I leave the top off, dust is still an issue. Not nearly as much, but it is still there. As I normally deprime before tumbling. I wonder how much lead oxides come out in the dust from the primer pockets. I don't know that there is really much of a hazard, but if I can avoid it by simply using a lid, then I'll use the lid.

I do like waksupi's idea though. A large container would still contain the dust and would also help keep me from spilling any media on the floor. Doesn't seem to matter how careful I try to be, I always manage to spill a little somehow.

Guesser
07-30-2011, 12:10 PM
I have my tumblers set up out in my small shop. The one thing I found about leaving the top off is that insects love to burrow into the media, it kills them, but they are there. I used to run with the top off but quit when it got the bugs.

montana_charlie
07-30-2011, 01:22 PM
The one thing I found about leaving the top off is that insects love to burrow into the media, it kills them, but they are there. I used to run with the top off but quit when it got the bugs.
Wait a minute. I need something clarified.

So, you leave the top off of a tumbler, and bugs burrow into the media.
I can buy that, and I can handle the thought that 'something' in the media kills them.

But, do they also do their burrowing WHILE the tumbler is running?

That would seem to need a pretty determined bug ... becaue the burrow would be collapsing as it was being dug.

CM

Wally
07-30-2011, 01:24 PM
In lieu of just adding mineral spirits, take those used dryer sheets or color catchers and dampen them with mineral spirits..the sheet will collect the dust which is from the primer residue... you can also use it topless out doors...if it is feasible.

Guesser
07-30-2011, 04:52 PM
No, not while they are running. I simply had put the lids away so they were out of sight and mind, since they weren't being used, so when the machines were idle the lids were not in place, that's when the insects would enter the media. I keep the lids in place now, even when they are running. I usually get it right the third or sometimes the fourth attempt.

Von Gruff
07-30-2011, 07:03 PM
I have been running mine topless for a long time now. Some inch or so squares of dryer cloth in with the brass and away it goes. I leave the top beside it with the container to hold the brass once cleaning is done, and been through the seperator. Media back into the hopper and the lid goes back on. I usually set the polisher going when I am about to leave the gun room for a few hours, often in the evening and as I can just hear it going from the bedroon door so I never forget to shut it off before bed. Have clean brass and dust free enviroment to work with and in the next day.

Von Gruff.

crabo
07-30-2011, 09:31 PM
I put a double plug and bathroom timer in a box. I set the timer to run and it shuts itself off. I used a hole saw and cut a bunch of 1 1/2 inch holes in my base and a small fan blows on the motor which also gets shut off when the timer stops.

Springfield
07-30-2011, 09:54 PM
If you put some auto paint swirl remover in there it will dampen the dust AND polish the cases.

XWrench3
07-30-2011, 11:00 PM
i don't know why there isn't ANY dust. but i certainly can not see any. i deprime after tumbling, so i am sure that the amount of lead from the primers is much less than the other way around.
""If you put some auto paint swirl remover in there it will dampen the dust AND polish the cases.""
there is more than enough junk in there to polish the cases for a long time. there is frankford arsenal case polish liquid, nu finish car polish, powdered red rouge, and of course the mineral spirits. maybe any dust gets "cemented" to the corn cob meidia by all the polish in there. whatever the case, it works. and it seems to work faster and better topless. so i guess that is the way i will keep doing it. thanx to everyone for the replies!

bigjason6
08-04-2011, 06:37 AM
I hear nufinish car polish works the best

Guesser
08-04-2011, 08:57 AM
I've used Nufinish, it works. Put it side by side with the Lyman product and you will be hard pressed to tell the difference until you read the label. There are a number of products that work, price vs. effect is what counts.

mdi
08-07-2011, 01:21 PM
I sincerely doubt if there is enough lead in the dust produced by a wobbler to have any effect on a human being unless he ran the wobbler with his face directly over it and breathed all the dust produced, and then he'd prolly die of "LA Lung" rather than lead poisoning (LA Lung, aka Brown Lung, is much like coal miner's disease Black Lung). Corn cob and walnut media, if placed in a tumbler (wobbler) and run without any cartridges, would prolly produce just as much dust as if loaded. Plus all the car polishes, mineral spirits, wonder cleaners/additives are prolly more toxic when breathed and handled anyway.

And I said all that 'cause my wobbbler has large slots in the lid and it'd no difference on or off...

a.squibload
08-07-2011, 01:50 PM
I throw in 4 squares of blue shop towel (paper towel), they get dirty so
I guess it helps clean the media.
Using an old rock tumbler so it's all contained, no dust 'til I open it and
pour through a fry basket to screen out the brass.
It's all done in the garage.
Citric acid bath first.

noylj
08-07-2011, 09:10 PM
You know, 30 minutes with 20/40 corn is all you need.
Do all tumbling topics become a contest of who has the shiniest brass?
Keep the lid on. If you are using walnut, you will produce some very fine dust--corn produces a lot less dust.
Tumble 30-60 minutes. Add some paper toweling or used dryer sheets and MS if you want. Avoid adding too much and creating a fire hazard. This will remove the powder that "dulls" the appearance of your brass.
Get an RCBS media separator and use the cover to minimize breathing any dust--doesn't matter if there is lead oxide or not, you don't want to breathe dust.
Don't sweat what isn't important.

a.squibload
08-09-2011, 04:16 AM
I wanna try corn to keep the flash holes clear, but I was at a gun show
years ago and bought a few pounds of walnut shell, hate to just toss it.
I'm cheap, it's genetic....:bigsmyl2:

jakharath
08-17-2011, 09:40 AM
For cheap - I use a half and half mixture of NuFinish and Mineral Spirits with Lizard Bedding (crushed walnut hulls) from Petsmart.

Looking for a cheap place to buy Citric Acid. Want to try that next.

bigjason6
08-20-2011, 06:23 PM
I wanna try corn to keep the flash holes clear, but I was at a gun show
years ago and bought a few pounds of walnut shell, hate to just toss it.
I'm cheap, it's genetic....:bigsmyl2:

I'll dispose of it for you!

mold maker
08-20-2011, 07:15 PM
Petco has an even better price on lizzard litter.

howards
08-23-2011, 11:46 PM
Walnut hulls...wash in water...lay out on a piece of plywood in the sun to dry...pick up with shop-vac....reuse.....now that the cheap way.

colt 357
08-26-2011, 03:25 PM
wow this wasn't what i though darn........

wallenba
08-26-2011, 03:42 PM
Cover it when not in use, if you have a cat.:bigsmyl2:

a.squibload
09-01-2011, 03:39 AM
Walnut hulls...wash in water...lay out on a piece of plywood in the sun to dry...pick up with shop-vac....reuse.....now that the cheap way.

Yeah, even when dirty it still works, never thought of washing it.
Should last almost forever. I'm so cheap I might try it, so far I've used a couple pounds
for thousands of rounds. Only change it in case someone sees it...

Wonder if "kitty urea" would help polish the brass? Not that I will try it, I'm not THAT cheap!

TXGunNut
09-04-2011, 12:23 PM
Good thread, great title. :D
Lead exposure is pretty serious business and it seems to me the most hazardous exposure is from primers, not from boolits. I know two former pistol instructors who did not reload or cast and used gloves when cleaning weapons, pretty sure the airborne lead from firing line smoke was the culprit when their lead levels came back too high. Same lead is present on dirty cases so I'm thinking I won't be going topless anymore, should probably use a mask when removing media from cases as well. I put blue paper shop towel pieces in the media but can't be too careful.