PDA

View Full Version : What a bummer

PacMan
07-30-2011, 09:24 AM
In a way i hate to post this but dangit i'm a little upset.

Grabed a hand full of loads for the 44 BFR and stroled to the range this morning. One shot and then the hammer will no longer stay cocked. Guess the sear or somthing went south. Box it up and ship it back monday.

Grabed the Ruger Bisley 44 sp and releived my flustration on all shootable targets i could find. Feel a little better now.

subsonic
07-30-2011, 09:27 AM
That sucks! Did you see if the base pin is all the way in? If the base pin moves, the spring in the end won't push on the transfer bar and it can cause problems. Hopefully it's a fix this simple....

PacMan
07-30-2011, 10:04 AM
Already checked that. Looks like the paw on the hammer has chipped off. Not sure if that is the right term.

ColColt
07-30-2011, 12:03 PM
I just call it the full cock notch. Never had that happen but, it would sure destroy a potentially good day.

crabo
07-30-2011, 12:55 PM
:grin:I hope 44 man doesn't see this thread...(as I duck and run for cover)

44man
07-30-2011, 12:59 PM
I did :mrgreen:
I don't think the hammer or trigger can break but maybe the transfer bar did. They are Ruger parts. Some have broken.

Whitworth
07-30-2011, 02:20 PM
:grin:I hope 44 man doesn't see this thread...(as I duck and run for cover)

Does this mean all BFRs are bad?? :bigsmyl2::kidding:

subsonic
08-01-2011, 09:04 PM
Keep us informed of progress....

btroj
08-01-2011, 09:12 PM
I did :mrgreen:
I don't think the hammer or trigger can break but maybe the transfer bar did. They are Ruger parts. Some have broken.:kidding:
:kidding:Bet that never happens with an FA gun.........

tek4260
08-01-2011, 11:51 PM
I have to agree with 44man. There isn't much of a way for something to break on the actual hammer or trigger. Is the trigger returning forward? Can you pull it down and give it a once over? Might save you a few bucks shipping and time without her.

44man
08-02-2011, 10:02 AM
:kidding:
:kidding:Bet that never happens with an FA gun.........
How much money ya got? Had to make parts for a few! Hammer blocks failed. :Fire::mrgreen: 20 minutes work save hundreds of $.

white eagle
08-02-2011, 11:58 AM
thats it I am going to buy a F/A

Whitworth
08-02-2011, 12:00 PM
thats it I am going to buy a F/A

Me too!

44man
08-02-2011, 12:33 PM
The guns are easy to take apart. But guess what? I have to think to get it back together after hundreds of them. Not real hard, just putting parts where they belong at the right time.
Strange because I can dump all the parts from a S&W on the bench and not even think. SRH is easy.
You can save a bundle of money by taking the guns apart and getting parts. Just pay attention.
The military teaches gun breakdown and assembly. Why own a gun if you fear taking it apart?
But some call a plumber if a faucet leaks. $100 VS a 10 cent washer.
Neighbors have as many as two chainsaws but hire someone to cut a tree that fell.

Mal Paso
08-02-2011, 10:45 PM
The guns are easy to take apart. But guess what? I have to think to get it back together after hundreds of them. Not real hard, just putting parts where they belong at the right time.
Strange because I can dump all the parts from a S&W on the bench and not even think. SRH is easy.
You can save a bundle of money by taking the guns apart and getting parts. Just pay attention.
The military teaches gun breakdown and assembly. Why own a gun if you fear taking it apart?
But some call a plumber if a faucet leaks. $100 VS a 10 cent washer.
Neighbors have as many as two chainsaws but hire someone to cut a tree that fell.

There's Lots of guys who Should Not Work on Guns! :)

44man
08-03-2011, 09:14 AM
There's Lots of guys who Should Not Work on Guns! :)
You might be right. Some should not own a house either, they need to rent and call the landlord.
The worst thing to work on today are cars! To think I majored in automotive, started as a mechanic and when I open a hood today I get scared! [smilie=l:
I also fixed TV's and radios for years on the side but the inside of those things scare me today.
Yet guns are all the same, should be easy to learn. Everyone, even the little woman owns a screwdriver.
Never let a woman take anything apart! :holysheep I would come home from work to find a motor apart on my bench. It quit so it was taken apart by the wife and daughters. THAT'S IT, brains go blank, no idea why it quit and never, ever expect the ladies to put it back together.
Life has been an adventure and I forgot most of it but FEAR is your enemy. Take the stupid gun apart! Just use a GOOD screwdriver.
I bet the guys that are afraid of a gun have all put together some unreal toy at Christmas.

PacMan
08-03-2011, 10:10 AM
Well guys i have not sent the pistol off because i was thinking of trying it myself. I have fitted several barrels ,slides and other parts to various 1911s over the years but have never had any of the few revolvers that i own need any repairs other than the one and only Taurus revolver that would go off if you looked at it wrong. Returned got my money back and have never owned another one.

Anyway 44man you have inspired me once again.

btroj
08-03-2011, 07:53 PM
I would have had it apart already. Most revolvers are pretty simple designs, especially a single action.

If nothing else, you need to have it apart every so often for a good cleaning and lubrication. Must be why I like Marlin lever actions too.

44man
08-04-2011, 08:46 AM
I would have had it apart already. Most revolvers are pretty simple designs, especially a single action.

If nothing else, you need to have it apart every so often for a good cleaning and lubrication. Must be why I like Marlin lever actions too.
I took a WW 94 apart to the last piece. Done it many times but at my age we forget. I polished every part to be blued by my gunsmith friend. It was in his shop for 2 years, he has health problems. I had to get it back and cold blue it---GADS!
Now put the thing back together????? But it is still a gun and has never changed. It just took longer then it used to.
I made a new transfer bar once (I have made many) but this one had a slight fit problem because I made it without having the gun here. I had to heat a spot to change it and I did not use my head. I should have re-hardened the whole thing and tempered it.
It broke!
Several of mine have gone 61,000 rounds so far.
If heat treat is off, they can break.

PacMan
08-04-2011, 02:50 PM
Well i am glad that i took you guys advice and tore it down myself.
It does leave me scratching my head a bit though. Tore her down could not find anything broken. Cleaned and oiled and put back together. Pulled the hammer back a couple of times and the same thing. Aggravate i jerked the hammer back and see locked. Done it a couple more times and now she works like it should.
Go figure.

Thanks for the little push guys.

subsonic
08-04-2011, 05:06 PM
Weird. I would investigate further before calling it fixed. You dont want to be surprised by the hammer dropping when you expect it to stay back. Try looking for interference on the sides of the trigger and sear assy or anything that shows a rub mark where things have been binding up in the frame.

missionary5155
08-05-2011, 08:39 AM
Good morning
" Our doughts are traitors and make us loose the good we oft might win by failing to attempt". Admiral Rickover... father of nucler powered naval vessels.
Mike in Peru

Mal Paso
08-05-2011, 07:01 PM
It probably just wanted attention.:bigsmyl2: