PDA

View Full Version : S&W n-frame grip question

MakeMineA10mm
07-29-2011, 10:02 PM
I'm pondering grips for my 5" M629-4 (round butt frame) that will be the most comfortable. Whatever they are, they can't make the grip longer by covering the backstrap.

I've thought about the Hogue grips for the 500 that you have to get right from S&W, but thought they may cover the backstrap. Anyone confirm/deny this?

Any other comfortable-shooting grips?

This will mostly be single-action shooting with a little double-action.

I really like the Fuzzy Farrant style grips, but not on a pistol that recoils like this...

Patrick L
07-29-2011, 10:09 PM
I assume you want rubber grips due to the recoil of the gun? Hogues don't cover the backstrap, but I personally don't care for their feel. I always prefered Pachmayrs. I like the Gripper, but the backstrap is covered on those. I believe the Professional is the same style with an open backstrap.

If wood is an option, I am really liking Ahrends Finger Groove Tacticals.

mellonhead
07-29-2011, 11:18 PM
I have Ahrends Retro Target grips on all my N frames. I have a medium sized hand and they fit me great.

http://ahrendsgripsusa.com/index.htm

Toby

subsonic
07-29-2011, 11:20 PM
The x-frame 500 grips DO cover the backstrap, but they will suck up recoil like a sponge. If you're mostly shooting single action, I bet your trigger reach will still be long enough.

My best advice, other than the x-frame grips, is to trace your hand and send the tracing and $75 to Herretts grips.

redneckdan
07-29-2011, 11:20 PM
I have a pair of houge rubbers that don't cover the back strap. shoot me a PM if you are intersted in them.

crabo
07-30-2011, 12:59 AM
Here's the x-frame grip. I like them quite a bit. It covers the backstap, but it didn't really seem to increase the length for my hands.

StrawHat
07-31-2011, 07:21 AM
I regularly carry a 4" N frame and the most comfortable grips I have found for it came from S&W. They started out as the full sized target grips (or whatever they called them) and after some judicious applications of saw and rasp they finally fit my hand. I cut them off even with the bottom of the frame and remove much of the wood on the sides, tapering them so they are wider at the top and narrower at the bottom where my pinkie wraps around them. I did this about thirty years ago and used these grips on many of my K frames, L frames and N frames. Eventually, I will make a pair from apple for my carry revolver but for now the hacked up S&Ws are doing fine!

Here they are on an L frame I used on duty and in competition.

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc194/StrawHat/SWM6864inch001.jpg

bobthenailer
07-31-2011, 07:04 PM
I have hoage rubber grips on all of my S&W revolvers it is my preferd grip over any other for them

MtGun44
07-31-2011, 10:34 PM
+1 on what subsonic and crabo said. I have the X frame grips from S&W on my 329, and it
helps the recoil a good bit.

Bill

GLL
07-31-2011, 10:47 PM
I love wood grips but for serious shooting I also go with Pachmayrs on N-Frame S&Ws !

Jerry

http://www.fototime.com/D6DBB36312AD6AD/orig.jpg

EMC45
08-01-2011, 01:26 PM
I love wood grips but for serious shooting I also go with Pachmayrs on N-Frame S&Ws !

Jerry

http://www.fototime.com/D6DBB36312AD6AD/orig.jpg

I like these grips a lot. I have them on revolvers and my Contender. Fit my hand perfect and are comfortable.

MakeMineA10mm
08-01-2011, 10:57 PM
Hiya Jerry! Thanks for the input.

And, same for everyone. I'm thinking for "show," a set of cokes is the way to go. Probably get a set of the Heritages from Eagle.

For shooting, I'm going to start with the S&W(Hogue) 500 grips. Even though they have a covered backstrap, I'll give them a shot.

I have a set of Pachmayrs just like Jerry's photo on my L-Frame 686 I carried on-duty for about 6 years when I first was on the Sheriff's Dept. I found the palm swell too large and too far to the rear of the grip, so a trip to the belt sander and a couple re-attachments to the revolver, and I got them where I liked them, but the rubber is so thin on the right palm swell area that you can see the shape/outline of the steel insert inside the grip below the rubber. Probably less than 1/32" rubber left, if that. Still, they fit my hand great and I've shot a few perfect scores on our qual course with that gun and those grips. They look like hell, but shoot wonderful.

Custom wood may be the best option, but I'll have to think on that awhile... Anyone have any Fuzzy Farrant or John Hurst grips laying around they don't want? [smilie=1:

StrawHat
08-02-2011, 06:11 AM
.... They look like hell, but shoot wonderful... [smilie=1:

Who could ask for anything more?

I am the odd man out when it comes to rubber grips. Never cared for the way they moved on my revolvers. With wood, I could get a good fit but rubber never fit as well as I wanted. They always seemed to shift.