PDA

View Full Version : hollow point mold ?

JCools
07-29-2011, 10:00 PM
Who makes a hollow point mold for 38sp/357 mag?I want to start shooting bowling pin comp.But the rules require hollow pts for 38sp.

telebasher
07-29-2011, 10:21 PM
Check out hollowpointmold.com and talk with Erik. Great guy and a talented machinist.

EDK
07-30-2011, 12:55 AM
Check out what NOE or MIHEC have in the caliber you want. I'd get the hollow base wad cutter mould and turn the boolit upside down. "You guys want a hollow point? Try this one on for size!" There was a recent thread about loading those "bad boys" in that manner. Back in the stone age (60s and 70s) before high performance jacketed bullets became common and popular, guys who packed a 38 of some sort...especially snubs...were advised to load soft wadcutters with the hollow base forward and an appropriately heavy powder charge.

IIRC ACCURATE MOLDS has a 44 hollow base wadcutter that has the nose sized for a 44 gas check. Turn that little jewel upside down, install a gas check and "let the games begin!" I need a FOURTH 44 wadcutter mould like "my horse needs tennis shoes," but the idea is beginning to intrigue me. They probably have something similar in 38 caliber also.

I have two of MIHEC's hollow base CRAEMER style moulds, but none of NOE's system. Get the mould and pins hot and it's mass production time...you just have to find the "sweet spot" for alloy, temperature, etc...like any mould.

:Fire::cbpour::redneck:

fredj338
07-30-2011, 11:22 AM
If you have a mold you like now, Erik can HP it, great work. NOE or Mihec are currently the only game in town unless you find an older Lyman.