PDA

View Full Version : Loading for the SKS

qajaq59
01-15-2007, 07:47 AM
I'm told the ammo for the SKS is fairly cheap, but I wonder if anyone is loading their own for it?

bruce drake
01-15-2007, 08:59 AM
Yep, Load for it everytime I take the kids to the range. "Dad, I'm empty again..."

No seriously, I enjoy reloading this caliber. It is small enough to not break the bank loading each cartridge with powder and the caliber is just the right size to teach older kids how to handle the recoil of larger calibers.

I've found that getting reloadable brass is the biggest issue as a lot of people still only shoot surplus junk through their rifles. I usually purchase a bag of 50 brass each year from MidSouth Shooters to restock and replace my well used brass.

do a text search on this forum and you'll find a lot of us shoot lead through this caliber. Junior down in Louisiana does a good piece of hog hunting with one.

Bruce

d.thomson
01-15-2007, 08:59 AM
Hi i'v been reloading for my sks for about 3 years I use 24.5 grn of reloader #7 and 123grn soft point for hunting good acuacy. I found using large rifle primers in winchester because small primers and cci primers were to soft and I sometimes got double taps. pretty embaressing[smilie=1: at the range. that is what works for me. Dave T.

bsn
01-15-2007, 09:36 AM
Sadly the imported 7.62X39 isn’t nearly as cheap as it used to be because of demand and raw material cost. The trend seems to be that the cost is still going up. 1000 rounds used to be about $69.00. The biggest problem with reloading the SKS or AK’s is that some of them can eject the brass quite a long distance and some will dent the cases pretty severely. If you shoot in high grass you may lose most of your cases. Some people also have a problem with the brass case heads being ripped off due to rough chambers. Military 7.62X39 is steel cased so that is not an issue with the imported ammo.

Poygan
01-15-2007, 10:32 AM
I have a Chinese SKS and it beats the brass severely upon ejection. I take the gas piston out and use it as a straight pull which also keeps me from picking up the brass.

A word of caution: one time I pulled the trigger with no result. Saw that the round wasn't full into battery and bumped it closed, upon which it promptly fired!

And I reload for it with both j boolits and a Lee tumble lube 155 grain. No great amount of cast through it so far and will probably use up all the jacketed before I try to develop a cast load.

mag_01
01-15-2007, 01:01 PM
_____There is a interlock on the SKS that prevents it from firing when the cartridge is not chambered---You might chech it out---- yours may be worn ----- Mag

Larry Gibson
01-15-2007, 02:44 PM
I'm told the ammo for the SKS is fairly cheap, but I wonder if anyone is loading their own for it?

I've been shooting the 7.62x39 for some 40+ years starting in SE Asiaian war games. I've been reloading since '71 for it. Started out reforming Norma 6.5 MS cases. I very seldom shoot the surplus ammo outside of military duty. I've a nice Russian SKS and a Mini MK X bolt action I load for. I load cast from 90 gr up through 210 gr and jacketed from 60 gr up through 150 gr. I prefer my own loads.

Larry Gibson

KCSO
01-15-2007, 07:43 PM
If you are going to get one get the Yugo. The gas system has a shutoff for the launcher and if you turn it off you can use it as a straight pull bolt gun. A good yugo will shoot under 2 1/2" at 100 with the factory irons, IF you tune the trigger. I like the Lee bullet and 7.0 of Unique for a nice accurate plinking load.

KYCaster
01-16-2007, 01:42 AM
KCSO: Is there anyplace on the web that has instructions on tuning the trigger? I've looked at it several times and other than polishing, I don't see any way to improve it. Is there any way to get rid of that "half mile" of creep?

Jerry

mag_01
01-16-2007, 11:45 PM
KYCaster---U can reduce spring tension---big spring that sends hammer home buy removing links--remove 1 or 2 and try--if u over do it hammer wont fire primers---and there is a link on surplus rifle board----Mag

qajaq59
01-17-2007, 07:53 PM
Thanks guys.... you gave me some good info. I think I'll look around and see what I can find for a decent price on one of the SKS.