PDA

View Full Version : Obsession pistol

Trey45
07-29-2011, 12:41 PM
You know how you'll buy a gun, and it's the only thing you shoot, handle, clean, read about and talk about for a while, then for one reason or another, the honeymoon is over, the gun goes to the safe, and another gun takes its place?

Do any of you have a particular gun where the honeymoon just never wore off, it's your "go to" gun, your fun gun, the gun you just enjoy whether you're at the range shooting it or sitting in your den handling it.

I think just about every gun aficionado has at least one such gun. What's yours?

Mine's nothing special, a plain jane CZ 75 B SA, no bells and whistles, no aftermarket sights, no fancy finish, just your average CZ 9mm, but it's the one that just "speaks" to me. You know?

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y243/SimonLegree/CzeckRosewoodgrips001.jpg

That's it on the right. Like I said, nothing special, but the honeymoon is still going strong. Tell us about yours.

44man
07-29-2011, 01:01 PM
CZ----OH NO! That gun would never sit in the safe.
I have a few but they are BP guns I hate to clean. :bigsmyl2:

btroj
07-29-2011, 02:03 PM
I probably would say it is my Marlin 1894 CB in 45 Colt. Accurate, smooth cycling, and fun.

Your CZ just makes me want one more. Shot one once and boy did it handle nicely. Just a great shooting gun in my hand.

justingrosche
07-29-2011, 02:29 PM
I have a lot of well loved guns, but this one seems to end up in the range bag every time I go shooting.
DW model 15 357 mag

Whitworth
07-29-2011, 02:47 PM
I have two that continue to hold my attention. The first is this Lew Horton Model 29 that I've had for more than 20 years:

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f196/MarkoR/SWm29L.jpg

The second one I haven't had that long -- only about two years, but it fascinates me for some unknown reason, even though it isn't all that fun to shoot.

My .50 Alaskan D-Max.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f196/MarkoR/50AKJRH.jpg

Trey45
07-29-2011, 02:58 PM
I believe if I had a Lew Horton M29 like that, it would continue to hold my attention as well.

fecmech
07-29-2011, 03:13 PM
Trey--How is the single action trigger on that CZ?? Also from an accuracy standpoint will it stay in the 2" or less range at 25 yds off bags? Just curious as I've always thought of getting one if I ever buy another 9mm.

Trey45
07-29-2011, 03:35 PM
Fec I won't lie to you, I've shot better single action triggers before, it has a bit of creep, but otherwise it's a decent trigger. I have ZERO complaints for accuracy and reliability. I feel certain the trigger could be addressed by a good smith who knows his way around CZ triggers, but it's not hurting my feelings a bit to shoot it just like it is. If you ever find yourself in northeastern NC, inner banks area, stop on by and run a few magazines through it to see for yourself. This is my 4th CZ pistol, and not my last.

7br
07-29-2011, 03:55 PM
I have a lot of well loved guns, but this one seems to end up in the range bag every time I go shooting.
DW model 15 357 mag

My Dan Wesson 41 looks like your model 15's big brother. It comes to the range with me quite often.

I have a Rock Island Armory 1911 that is pining away in at the gunsmith's that is my current infatuation. By the way, a pox on fumble finger nincompoops that have less mechanical ablitity than your average farm hand and have the audacity to call themselves a gunsmith. How can a person with a passing knowledge of metal working mess up putting sights on a 1911? I should never have taken it to the local butcher.

Spit Spit Curse Curse Curse

Yeah, I am still a little upset about it.

bobthenailer
07-29-2011, 04:09 PM
GEE do i really have to pick my favorite handgun? ok then there all my favorite handgun just some more than others ! the only guns i dont shoot regulary are rifles & shotguns I havent shot my 1885 Browning BPCR in 10 years, that one holds the record for not being shot the longest! I spent a year working up the magic load and havent shot it since. but i really had no use for it in the first place , other than a new toy but really liked the looks of them . Id sell it if someone offered me a fair price! not someone who wanted to resell it and make a profit .

RKJ
07-29-2011, 04:14 PM
You know how you'll buy a gun, and it's the only thing you shoot, handle, clean, read about and talk about for a while, then for one reason or another, the honeymoon is over, the gun goes to the safe, and another gun takes its place?

Do any of you have a particular gun where the honeymoon just never wore off, it's your "go to" gun, your fun gun, the gun you just enjoy whether you're at the range shooting it or sitting in your den handling it.

I think just about every gun aficionado has at least one such gun. What's yours?

Mine's nothing special, a plain jane CZ 75 B SA, no bells and whistles, no aftermarket sights, no fancy finish, just your average CZ 9mm, but it's the one that just "speaks" to me. You know?

Trey I have a question about your CZ's also, For the C&L carry do you have to get the SA?

As far as the one go-to gun I'd have to say it's my SS GM. Bought it new in 1987 after seeing an article in a 1985 AH. It had been setting on the shelf since 85 too. It doesn't get used much anymore but I'll never sell it (I know, never say never) but if everything goes south it will be the one I grab.

para45lda
07-29-2011, 04:17 PM
Have to say my 1st gen Glock 22. She's been with me for nearly 15 years now and even though SWMBO has laid claim to her she's still my SHTF goto companion.

Trey45
07-29-2011, 04:22 PM
Trey I have a question about your CZ's also, For the C&L carry do you have to get the SA?

I don't know exactly what C&L carry is, if I have it right, you're asking about concealed carry license? NC has no restrictions for the type of handgun you use for concealed carry. I typically use my CZ P01 as my CCW gun lately, it's a DA/SA semi auto. There was no real rhyme or reason behind the CZ B SA except for wanting one for a long time, and being in the right place at the right time when this one came up for sale.

I hope I got the C&L aspect right and addressed your question correctly.

Grapeshot
07-29-2011, 04:30 PM
I'd have to say it is my 4 inch barreled Colt Anaconda in .45 Colt. It has to be the most accurate of my .45's and the strongest. I han fire Elmer's pet load for the .45 Colt out of MY Anaconda all day, or until I get tired of the recoil. It will accompany me to the range 95% of the time. It is my favorite, but the S&W 625 handles better in the Double Action Mode than the Colt, however, I can shoot a wider selection of bullets out of the Colt than I can out of the S&W.

got_lead?
07-30-2011, 02:12 AM
Ruger Stainless Security-Six. It was my first centerfire handgun over 30 years ago. I've shot thousands and thousands of cast boolits out of it. It's still my trusty companion on every hunting and fishing trip. Looks as good today as the day it was new.
http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z398/1homebrewed/PICT0021c-1.jpg

Frosty Boolit
07-30-2011, 07:41 AM
I almost never go to the range without a Model 10.

gon2shoot
07-30-2011, 09:11 AM
Yep, I've got a couple dozen of them. :groner:

RKJ
07-30-2011, 10:46 AM
I don't know exactly what C&L carry is, if I have it right, you're asking about concealed carry license? NC has no restrictions for the type of handgun you use for concealed carry. I typically use my CZ P01 as my CCW gun lately, it's a DA/SA semi auto. There was no real rhyme or reason behind the CZ B SA except for wanting one for a long time, and being in the right place at the right time when this one came up for sale.

I hope I got the C&L aspect right and addressed your question correctly.

I apologize, I meant (and should have said) Cocked & Locked or condition 1 carry like a 1911 or Browning Hi-power. '

I was at the range a few months ago and met a young man and his wife. He had just gotten the target model of the CZ and was showing it to me. I shot it a few times and really liked it. The thing just felt natural and shot like a dream and everything I've read of them has been very good. I have a ton (seems like it anyway) of 9mm brass no 9mm of my own (also after pricing Hi-powers) I decided I should get one of these . I saved the pics of yours (so that I could ogle them until I get one of my own) :) as those are great looking pistols. Thanks, Joe

DLCTEX
07-30-2011, 11:07 AM
Mine would be my 1911 45. My family gave it to me for my 50th birthday and 16 years later it is still my favorite. One "pistol" that did not work out for me was a Savage Stryker in 22-250. Too short for a rifle and too long for a pistol. I traded it for a rifle.

Trey45
07-30-2011, 11:50 AM
Joe sorry for my misunderstanding. Yes, the SA is specifically designed to be carried condition one. The over size safety lever comes standard on all 75 B SA's. Then again, the typical CZ 75 B can be safely carried in conditon one as well, the pistol on the left is a 40 S&W 75B, which get's carried in condition one, when I carry it.

357Mag
07-30-2011, 12:54 PM
Trey -

My custom 4" heavy-barrelled S & W M520 .357Mag.

For rifles, my Marlin 336XLR in .35 Remington

Shotgun: M870 16ga ( non-rib barrel )

Regards,
357Mag

big dale
07-30-2011, 02:29 PM
For over 30 years now it has been an old model Ruger SuperBlackhawk. I get this stupid looking grin on my face everytime I even just think about it.

Have fun with this stuff.

Big Dale

buck1
07-30-2011, 02:53 PM
7.5" Ruger redhawk in 44 mag. First year of production, handmade Custom grips, Trigger job, Custom sights, and it was a gift from my dad When it was new. Untold tens of thousands of rounds and still going strong. Its not just a gun, its a member of the family!

9.3X62AL
07-30-2011, 03:47 PM
I have several handguns that fit this category--here goes.

CZ-75B in 40 S&W. Easily my favorite 40 S&W EVER, and by far the most accurate. VERY lead-friendly, owing to its great dimensional integrity and 1-16" OEM twist rate. It was my constant carry companion for quite some time, until disallowed by my old agency when H.R. 218 came online. My usual carry critter is now the Glock 23 (Dept. approved), but the Glock never would have appeared had the rules not changed.

SIG-Sauer P-226. This one went along on many scary nights at work. Those who have fired shots in anger will understand my affection for this 9mm. 'Nuff said.

S&W Model 16-4 x 6". SUPERBLY accurate revolver in a delightful sportsman's caliber. I've raved on and on about this one for years here, so I'll spare you all the re-proselytizing. This one is certainly my most-hunted-with handgun, even more so than my rimfires. There are ALWAYS emptied-out 32 Mag cases on the loading bench, awaiting a refill.

S&W pre-M-27 x 6.5". This revolver is a fine gift from a treasured friend, and it shoots as good as it looks, which is right handsome. I mostly run #358156 atop 13.5 grains of 2400, which duplicates my authorized 357 carry load (W-W 158 JHP). Not a screamer 357 load by any means, I have a Ruger BisHawk for that action. From the bags, I've managed many 1.5" 10-shot groups with this combination. I would hunt deer in a hot second with this outfit.

DanWalker
07-31-2011, 12:08 AM
Mine is a 5 1/2" ruger blackhawk in 45 colt. It rides on my hip every time we leave civilization. I had the throats reamed, and fit a belt mountain base pin. It went to Bob Munden for an action job a few years ago. I replaced the stock aluminum grip frame and ejector rod housing with stainless parts.
This is my go to gun. I've hunted everything from Prairie dogs, grouse and rabbits, to hogs, deer and antelope with it. I've shamelessly flirted with other handguns, but it's the one I reach for when I want to look like I know how to shoot.
I hear you about the Sig 226 AL. I think it's an iconic cop gun. Every time I see one it reminds me of the monster wedgie I gave myself the first time I tried to draw one quickly from a retention holster on a borrowed duty belt. I was shooting a tactical competition course with a bunch of cops. Had to borrow gear to compete. I had never used a retention holster before. That darn gun just seemed to put 2 bullet holes in the center and about an inch and a half apart on every target I pointed it at! One of the most natural pointing combat handguns I've ever fired.

Shepherd2
07-31-2011, 07:56 AM
Mine is a CZ 75 BD (decocker) that I've had for about 10 years now. I've got about 30,000 round thru it. Since I used it a lot now in IDPA I bought a 2nd one as a back up. I put identical grips on it so the feel is the same. I've got other 9mm pistols and other CZs but this is my favorite by far.

Babalooie
07-31-2011, 10:51 AM
Mine is a recently acquired Smith and Wesson pre-model 10. I had been looking for a gun made in my birth year (1949) for several years. About three or four months ago, I found this one on a web site I usually don't go to. It is in about 98% condition and came with the original gold box with faint grease pencil markings, showing the serial number on the bottom. Roy Jinks verified it was made in 1949. Since then, I was able to locate a copy of the "Helpful Hints" sheet that originally came with it and a cleaning kit. To finish it off, I put an old but nice set of Roper grips on it.

This gun fits my hand like a glove. I put it in my hand and think, "Honey, I'm home."

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-8/1059823/BIRTHDAY%20GUN-2a.jpg

Love Life
07-31-2011, 10:58 AM
I would have to say it is without a doubt my Glock 26. It is square, half plastic, and as thick as a phone book, but it always goes to the range with me and I love to just handle it. I have other guns that I shoot, but the Glock is my go to gun. A handgun that small shouldn't be as accurate as it is at 20 yards.

Trey45
07-31-2011, 01:29 PM
Babalooie, if I had a model 10 that looked that good, especially with those Roper's on it, it would probably be my favorite too!

tek4260
07-31-2011, 02:10 PM
Just something about her I can't explain :)

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm35/tk3945/101_2332.jpg

Babalooie
07-31-2011, 02:40 PM
Babalooie, if I had a model 10 that looked that good, especially with those Roper's on it, it would probably be my favorite too!

Thanks for the compliment.

It took a very long time to find. Once, I found a beautiful snubby with a one line address that was previously owned by the proverbial old lady who kept it in a sock drawer. Thought I had finally found my treasure. It lettered out to 1947. So, I found a really nice home for it with a guy who's two years older than me.

riorider
07-31-2011, 09:05 PM
Its a rough as heck New Model Blackhawk in 45 LC.
fun to shoot accurate as all get out and no worrys about getting it dirty!

Heavy lead
07-31-2011, 10:11 PM
Three,
A beat up top eject model 94 .44 magnum that I modified the lifter so it will shoot any 44 load I have shoots well, feeds anything and doesn't have any stupid safety.
In hand guns in is a Blackhawk 45 convertable blued model that I put a Story steel ejector housing and a stainless bisley frame on, never use the acp cylinder, it's the only 45 that I have with oversize throats, but it still shoots well out of it's 4 5/8" barrell
Model 1100 with a shortened stock, slug barrel with open sights and a mag extension, it's my house defense gun and shoot hand brewed slugs and buckshot out of it every trip to the range, can work it and load it in my sleep and am very comfortable with this out to 50 yards, just plain fun blasting gun, shoots slugs well to.

looseprojectile
08-01-2011, 01:50 AM
that I will take with me when I croak.
A slightly experienced Old model Super Blackhawk that shoots like a rifle.

And a really heavy four inch model 27-2 S&W. The most quality ever put in a factory gun.
These are the guns that I shoot when I want to look like I've handled a gun before.

A close third is a Para Ordnance seventeen shot .45. Seems like it never runs dry.
Came in third at the pin shoot with the .45 last Wednesday. Going to kill those pins this week.

Life is good

Ziptar
08-01-2011, 08:37 AM
Mine is the one I don't have yet.

I've been after a Smith & Wesson 25-9 (or possibly a -7) for a year. Everytime I get close to saving up for one somethings come up but, I'm not giving up.

I'd love an Anaconda would even take a second job to get one but, they never came in blue, just stainless.

I know many people prefer it but, my brain insists guns must be blue. ;)

thegreatdane
08-02-2011, 01:41 AM
i too must pick my glock... but which one.... 20 maybe.

casterofboolits
08-02-2011, 04:05 PM
My go to pistol is a Colt Series 70 Combat Commander in 45 ACP. Rides my hip almost all the time. Wilson hammer, trigger and beavertail with a 4.5 pound crisp trigger. There are others in the safe, but this one stays out with me!

Shooter6br
08-02-2011, 04:33 PM
mine is a 4in Mod 10 HB

Markbo
08-03-2011, 09:52 PM
I have written this 3 times now. Twice I wrote it, hit Submit and was no longer logged in. This is the last time. I have had the feeling several times in my life that this one… this was “The One”. My first handgun. A Royal Blue 6” Colt Python with impossibly unergonomic grips. One of the very first .44 Redhawks sold in the state of Texas. Several more since then, including a 1911 or two. ;-)

But along the way I developed an ideal for a dream gun. 2 actually. One a barbeque gun and the other a hunting gun. The BBQ gun would have to be a US Firearms Single Action with the unsurpassable Turnbull CCH and USFA Bluing with a respectable 75% engraving and nothing other than Blue Mammoth Ivory grip panels. Of course at $5-7000 this would through this very day, remain a dream!

The other was a tool. A hunting gun and I could see it so easily. A revolver (it was for hunting after all) in stainless. A nice matte, not a garish polished look. It couldn’t be any off the shelf, standard sixgun either. It had to be special. It would have a longish barrel, but not too long. It would have to be able to wear a scope, but not have an unsightly base stuck on it since I had to be able to carry it on my hip all day afield when chosen, so it also had to be light and handy, not like a gargantuan Redhawk or worse! Just to be contrary it had to be in .41 magnum. It had to have a trigger to brag about and laser like accuracy. And were it not just a dream it would have to be affordable.

Ah but what a dream! This gun doesn’t exist… it can’t exist! You can’t fill in a wish list of attributes and then say “affordable”. Ah ha… a full on custom perhaps! No… no that would take affordable out of the wish list. Alas.. another dream gun that would forever remain a dream gun.

That is until that fateful day when my computer screen verily screamed at me… “I DO exist… I am HERE!”. And this is what I saw:

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o10/Markbo_photos/Handguns/Revolvers/FA97-1.jpg
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o10/Markbo_photos/Handguns/Revolvers/FA97backstrapcloseup.jpg
Here is a link to more and larger images if you like:
http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o10/Markbo_photos/Handguns/Revolvers/#!cpZZ2QQtppZZ12

A Freedom Arms model 97 in .41 mag with just a bit of bling and a limited edition and oak case to boot. A trigger that will bring a tear to a grown mans eye and accuracy that far exceeds my shooting abilities. I immediately took action and got about doing something and had never done before or since… .I sold off 2 other guns to buy this one. Within days I had it. It never goes outside without being covered in it’s FA shoulder holster or a full coverage hip holster. I too often check it for moisture and nicks and scratches from offending bits of brush or dirt. It never, ever goes without the slightest hint of rust preventative inside and out. I sometimes take it out of safekeeping just to admire it. Fondle it. Press that ridiculous trigger. And smile. Do I miss my S&W 500 and well worn Taurus .44? Not much my friends. Not much!:happy dance:

Trey45
08-03-2011, 09:56 PM
Markbo, you have made a believer out of me for sure!

starreloader
08-03-2011, 10:03 PM
Trey, where did you get the nice looking wood grips... I like them... Both my CZ 9 and CZ 40 have the black plastic grips....

Trey45
08-03-2011, 10:51 PM
The half checkered on the SA are from czcustom.com, the finger groove grips on the 40 cal are from Thailand of all places, and can be found on ebay. I basically took a chance and struck gold. Perfect fit and feel. I have a set of solid black buffalo horn grips that I'm not using, they're a bit wide, I'd consider selling them, or trading them, if you're interested send a pm.

justingrosche
08-04-2011, 02:28 AM
Well, it was this one.DW 15 357 Magnumhttp://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_51744e3a39a4d3288.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=1673)
Then I got this one... a no dash model 57 8" 41 Magnumhttp://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_51744e3a3a23a11c7.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=1674)
They today, this one showed up. Model 657-4 41 magnum
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_51744e3a3ba929168.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=1675)
Ok, I'll admit it, I'm a gun ****.

revolvergeek
08-08-2011, 11:32 AM
Mine is a recently acquired Smith and Wesson pre-model 10. I had been looking for a gun made in my birth year (1949) for several years. About three or four months ago, I found this one on a web site I usually don't go to. It is in about 98% condition and came with the original gold box with faint grease pencil markings, showing the serial number on the bottom. Roy Jinks verified it was made in 1949. Since then, I was able to locate a copy of the "Helpful Hints" sheet that originally came with it and a cleaning kit. To finish it off, I put an old but nice set of Roper grips on it.

This gun fits my hand like a glove. I put it in my hand and think, "Honey, I'm home."

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-8/1059823/BIRTHDAY%20GUN-2a.jpg

That is very cool! I love those grips.

Babalooie
08-08-2011, 12:22 PM
That is very cool! I love those grips.

Won them in an auction on fleabay and worth every penny.

Babalooie
08-08-2011, 03:29 PM
I just picked up a Cot Official Police in 38 Special that was made around 1928. Other than a couple of spots, it's in pretty decent condition. Will post a photo later, when I get a chance.

rmcc
08-08-2011, 03:58 PM
Dan Wesson 44 VH 6". Bought new in 1982. Digested thousands, still tight. Only modification is I put on Millet front and rear sights. Have the orginal Roy's Hidden Thunder shoulder holster I had to have to go with it. As stated above, it always seems to find its way into the bag on shooting day.

Idaho Sharpshooter
08-08-2011, 04:21 PM
Fourteen years (+/-) ago I bought one of the first Para-Ordnance P-14's in 45 acp. Stainless, with the factory adjustable sights. I live in Idaho, so it goes just about everywhere with me.

It digests everything I have fed it, and goes BANG! every time I pull the trigger. Every Time!

Rich

missionary5155
08-08-2011, 06:08 PM
Greetings
Yep... there is a Dan Wesson 375 Supermag turned hi-bred 414 Supermag ( I fitted new 414cylinder & had custon barrels made) sitting in my storage box that will be the 1st to see light when I get up north again... also will be the last to get re-greased and packed just before return to Peru.

MJR007
08-08-2011, 08:43 PM
S&W 44mag AirLite PD seems to go every where with me.

EDK
08-08-2011, 10:52 PM
My dream gun is an Original Size VAQUERO in 44 magnum, 5.5 inch barrel, with a HUNTER grip frame and a SUPER BLACK HAWK hammer, stag grips and a 2.5 pound trigger. It has a twin sister and a pair of similar BISLEY VAQUERO step sisters. Two of them get exercised every day.

There are similar Original Size VAQUEROS/BISLEY VAQUEROS in 357, but they are the "red headed step children" and spend most of their time in the safe.

:Fire::castmine::redneck:

Shuz
08-09-2011, 12:50 PM
The one .44 mag I always take to the range is my 629-4 Mtn Gun with Patridge front sight and 32 ounce single action trigger.

garym1a2
08-09-2011, 07:26 PM
For me its the 1911, accurate, reliable, fun and easy to load for.
For a Rifle its my Colt Hbar I brought back in 1988. Accuracte to boot, shot my only clean score ever on the High power range with it at 200yard sitting.
Seems I can always count on both of these to shoot and shoot well.

maglvr
08-09-2011, 10:47 PM
"Do any of you have a particular gun where the honeymoon just never wore off, it's your "go to" gun, your fun gun, the gun you just enjoy whether you're at the range shooting it or sitting in your den handling it. "

For me that would be any of my S&W 38-44's, I still get the biggest thrill when I pull the trigger, knowing all that recoil and power are coming from a "lowly .38Spl." casing :)
Of course that casing has been loaded to Elmer's specs, and .357 mag pressures.
NO! you can't shoot them in just any .38spl.

Rio Grande
08-11-2011, 02:32 AM
that I will take with me when I croak.
A slightly experienced Old model Super Blackhawk that shoots like a rifle.

And a really heavy four inch model 27-2 S&W. The most quality ever put in a factory gun.
These are the guns that I shoot when I want to look like I've handled a gun before.

A close third is a Para Ordnance seventeen shot .45. Seems like it never runs dry.
Came in third at the pin shoot with the .45 last Wednesday. Going to kill those pins this week.

Life is good

well, old Bailey took his rifle with him when he was buried. "In his will, Bailey demanded that he be buried standing straight up and facing the West. According to legend, he also wanted his rifle at his side and a jug of whiskey at his feet."

http://texasescapes.com/DEPARTMENTS/Guest_Columnists/Times_past/Bailey%27s_light.htm

Me, my favorite is my Ruger 4" Security Six.
Always come back to it.

NoZombies
08-11-2011, 07:23 PM
For me, it's less a pistol, and more a caliber, I will always have a .32 long with me when I travel to the range, the woods, or anyplace else I might get to shoot.

Wheeler
08-22-2011, 06:45 PM
This has been my obsession gun for the past 10 years.

http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt86/Wheeler686/S%20and%20W/Picture001.jpg

Best Regards,

Wheeler

rintinglen
08-24-2011, 08:09 PM
For me, it is my 1976 Birthday Present 4 inch blued Colt Python. It is worn from riding many shifts on patrol, but It is the one I always come back to. A fine, old friend who I am always glad to see.

jakharath
08-26-2011, 10:51 PM
For me it's a steel framed 1911 government. I have three, but my goto is a "Frankenstein". A medium weight steel frame with a 70 series gold cup upper. Rounded mainspring housing, full length guide rod, night sights, ambi safety and a wide spur hammer. Strangly, the other two are outfitted the same sans the night sights. I just love that gun. It's also my carry weapon. She's a big heavy monster that functions. She'll feed any type of ammo. LOVES 185gr lead SWCs. And is a dream to shoot.

I have various wheel guns (yay 44 and 41 mags!), a glock and several Sigs. The 1911 is still my favorite. Have a Springfield compact with an Al frame. It's pretty icky to shoot, great to carry on hot days though.

Buddy
08-27-2011, 12:06 AM
Actually all of them, but if I had to pick just one it would be a Dan Wesson 744VH8 topped with a Bushnell Trophy 2x6x32. It shoots everything from plinkers to full house boomers with surprising accuracy.This gun has made a believer out of alot of folks over ther past 30yrs.

Uncle45Auto
08-27-2011, 10:38 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v192/45Auto/WebleysEtc/DSC094122.jpg

The .455 Fosbery is No1.

(That other gun, the Mateba 6 Unica, is **** compared with the Fosbery but I sort of like it all the same).

Markbo
08-28-2011, 12:14 PM
Well you don't see either one of those every day!

biscot
08-31-2011, 09:55 AM
Browning Hi-Power. Got a few miles on her, but still pretty and a great shooter. Mostly stock except for match-grade barrel, and I bobbed the hammer a bit and did a trigger job.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=35347&stc=1&d=1314798589

Multigunner
08-31-2011, 10:42 AM
The P-35 is the hadgun I'd much prefer in any serious encounter, but I parted with the only one I'd owned long ago and never got around to replacing it.
I had a NAZI marked P-35 a friend found in a steel box while settling his father in laws estate.
He left it with me to clean and find out is value.
I's considered buying or trading for that old war trophy but having read of dozens of Belgian employees of FN being massacred before the rest would submit to making guns for the NAZI I just never fellt right about that pistol.

Anyway the one handgun I still find fascinating is the 1851 Colt Navy. Everything about the design speaks to me.
I have a replica 51 and my Brother owns a real 1851 battle field find, still in shootable condition though beat up and showing the effects of many years in the ground.

The 1851 is one pistol that I'm fully confident in placing the first shot exactly were I want it under any circumstances. The grip is perfect for my hand, and for almost every other hand on the planet.
The way the curves of the grip frame blend with the rounded recoil shield and tapered flat sided portions of the frame to the barrel lump and then into the precise octagon of the barrel is a work of art harking back to the days when gunmaking was still a blend of more art than engineering.

zardoz
09-01-2011, 01:13 PM
Interesting question.

My regular carry throughout the week, is a Taurus PT145, and the honeymoon with that was over long ago. It has never failed to feed and fire anything it was fed. The double strike capability, double/single action, and positive safety on it are main reasons for that purpose. Plus, if ever confiscated, would not break my heart.

The one I fish out of the safe, almost every weekend though, and keep in close proximity for around the house, is a Glock 20 loaded with near maximum load 165 grain 10mm Gold Dots. External ballistics on that is wicked. With a 15 round magazine, the total energy in such a light package is considerable. Total energy to weight ratio thing I guess.

Something about that gun, that gives me an "any conditions" sense. It would be the one I would select for SHTF conditions, as an open carry pistol. Too large for a concealed carry, by my preference. Many consider the grip to be overly large, but for me, it is feels "right".

Not the prettiest, nor finest, but it has an "aura" of power and reliability. The honeymoon is not over with that one. Just my preferences there.