PDA

View Full Version : Tool Dictionary

mag44uk
01-15-2007, 05:56 AM
TOOL DICTIONARY

A. DRILL PRESS: A tall upright machine useful for suddenly snatching flat metal bar stock out of your hands so that it smacks you in the chest and flings your beer across the room, splattering it against that freshly painted part you were drying.

B. WIRE WHEEL: Cleans rust off old bolts and then throws them somewhere under the workbench with the speed of light. Also removes fingerprint whorls and hard-earned guitar calluses in about the time it takes you to say, "Ouch.."

C. ELECTRIC HAND DRILL: Normally used for spinning steel pop rivets in their holes until you die of old age

D. PLIERS: Used to round off bolt heads.

E. HACKSAW: One of a family of cutting tools built on the Ouija board principle. It transforms human energy into a crooked, unpredictable motion, and the more you attempt to influence its course, the more dismal your future becomes.

F. VISE-GRIPS: Used to round off bolt heads. If nothing else is available, they can also be used to transfer intense welding heat to the palm of your hand.

G. OXYACETYLENE TORCH: Used almost entirely for lighting various flammable objects in your garage on fire. Also handy for igniting the grease inside a brake drum you're trying to get the bearing race out of.

H. WHITWORTH SOCKETS: Once used for working on older British cars and motorcycles, they are now used mainly for impersonating that 9/16 or 1/2 socket you've been searching for the last 15 minutes.

I. HYDRAULIC FLOOR JACK: Used for lowering a motorcycle to the ground after you have installed your new front disk brake setup, trapping the jack handle firmly under the front fender.

J. EIGHT-FOOT LONG DOUGLAS FIR 2X4: Used for levering a motorcycle upward off a hydraulic jack.

K TWEEZERS: A tool for removing wood splinters.

L. PHONE: Tool for calling your neighbours to see if he has another hydraulic floor jack.

M. SNAP-ON GASKET SCRAPER: Theoretically useful as a sandwich tool for spreading mayonnaise; used mainly for getting dog-do off your boot.

N. E-Z OUT BOLT AND STUD EXTRACTOR: A tool that snaps off in bolt holes and is ten times harder than any known drill bit.

O. TIMING LIGHT: A stroboscopic instrument for illuminating grease build-up.

P. TWO-TON HYDRAULIC ENGINE HOIST: A handy tool for testing the tensile strength of ground straps and brake lines you may have forgotten to disconnect.

Q. CRAFTSMAN 1/2 x 16-INCH SCREWDRIVER: A large motor mount prying tool that inexplicably has an accurately machined screwdriver tip on the end without the handle.

R. BATTERY ELECTROLYTE TESTER: A handy tool for transferring sulphuric acid from a car battery to the inside of your toolbox after determining that your battery is dead as a doornail, just as you thought.

S. AVIATION METAL SNIPS: See hacksaw.

T. TROUBLE LIGHT: The mechanic's own tanning booth. Sometimes called a drop light, it is a good source of vitamin D, "the sunshine vitamin," which is not otherwise found under motorcycles at night. Health benefits aside, it's main purpose is to consume 40-watt light bulbs at about the same rate that 105-mm howitzer shells might be used during, say, the first few hours of the Battle of the Bulge. More often dark than light, its name is somewhat misleading.

U. PHILLIPS SCREWDRIVER: Normally used to stab the lids of old-style paper-and-tin oil cans and splash oil on your shirt; can also be used, as the name implies, to round off Phillips screw heads.

V. AIR COMPRESSOR: A machine that takes energy produced in a coal-burning power plant 200 miles away and transforms it into compressed air that travels by hose to a Chicago Pneumatic impact wrench that grips rusty bolts last tightened 40 years ago by someone in Sindelfingen, and rounds them off.

W. PRY BAR: A tool used to crumple the metal surrounding that clip or bracket you needed to remove in order to replace a 50 cent part.

X. HOSE CUTTER: A tool used to cut hoses 1/2 inch too short.

Y. HAMMER: Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a kind of divining rod to locate expensive parts not far from the object we are trying to hit.

Z. MECHANIC'S KNIFE: Used to open and slice through the contents of cardboard cartons delivered to your front door; works particularly well on boxes containing seats and motorcycle jackets

:drinks:

Four Fingers of Death
01-15-2007, 07:29 AM
Very good!

I always felt uneasy when I went to the battery joint of an auto electricians with a sus battery. They would clamp th ebattery tester on and imediately announce 'it's stuffed!' I was very pleased when I saw one at a reasonable price at Repco (an old aussie company that sells car parts, tools, etc). I took it home and immediately went to test the battery in my 4wd. I clamped the test leads onto my battery and read off the dial, saying ruefully to myself, 'it'd stuffed!' Life's like that :-D

I gave in and went and bought a new pair of batteries, sigh!

floodgate
01-15-2007, 01:54 PM
AA. METAL LATHE - a device for throwing chuck keys; the current world record is 230 yds, THROUGH A GLASS WINDOW!

floodgate

Bigjohn
01-15-2007, 08:12 PM
ADJUSTABLE WRENCH: One size fits all; commonly used for rounding off bolt heads and bruising knuckles.

EXTENSTION CORD: Used to bring electricity to the work area. Normally three feet shorter than need and will snare your feet as you step over them.

SERVICE PITS: Used where hydralic lifts are not available. Normally collect any loose object when you are working above it. Collection point for all liquids spilt on floor and normally lacking about two inches of depth for the vehicle you are working on. CAUTION!!! Can become the equivilant of a short barrel cannon if fuel vapors collect in it. Hence smoking not I repeat NOT advisable unless you wish to try out as a Human Cannonball.

[smilie=1:

John.

MT Gianni
01-15-2007, 08:15 PM
[QUOTE=Bigjohn;137870]
EXTENSTION CORD: Used to bring electricity to the work area. Normally three feet shorter than need and will snare your feet as you step over them.]

Brings to mind the classic welders comment. "I'm gonna get you somethin real nice for Christmas. Yea, I'll get you 3 feet of welding lead so you won't have to stand on mine" Gianni.

Urny
01-16-2007, 12:11 AM
Not to hijack the thread, but, 4fingermick, do I remember right that Repco was the main sponsor of Jack Brabham's Formula One racing team? Were the cars refered to as Repco-Brabhams? Showing my age again.

grumpy one
01-16-2007, 01:20 AM
Mick will most likely expand on this, but years ago Repco was very large in the auto parts industry here - close to a monopoly on non-genuine spare parts, right from manufacture through distribution and retailing. They were less dominant in original equipment parts for the local automakers. It was in that period that they made and supplied the engines for Jack Brabham's Formula 1 racing team. As I recall the team won the world F1 championship twice - the first time on a shoestring, the second time at considerable expense. The first time they used dirt cheap engines, which were based on the cylinder block of the Buick/Olds 3.5 litre aluminium V8 of the time, destroked to 3 litres, with single overhead cam heads of Repco's own design (well actually Phil Irving's design, but that's another story - he was working fo them at the time. Phil became famous twenty years before that by designing the Vincent range of motorcycles.) They then had to switch to a quad-cam V8 to remain competitive in later years. Phil didn't design that one. The single cam V8s continued to be sold locally for some years as the Repco Sports engine, and were used in sports car racing.

From 1984 onward Australia's vast import duties on just about everything were progressively removed, so Repco closed or sold off their component-making activities in the late 1980s, but stuck with the distribution and sales part of the auto spares business. Then about ten years ago they sold off the distribution business. They still exist as a chain of tools-and-parts outlets, but are a very long way from being the biggest in that business nowadays. They have become the place you try after you've tried the cheaper places.

redneckdan
01-16-2007, 12:21 PM
Brings to mind the classic welders comment. "I'm gonna get you somethin real nice for Christmas. Yea, I'll get you 3 feet of welding lead so you won't have to stand on mine" Gianni.

I had that problem while welding in the Exterprise Team shop here on campus. Seemed like there was always a engineer or grad student standing on the TIG cable, resulting in either a) water stops flowing and therefore the electricity does also or B) I run out of rope while trying to weld .065 wall 4140 and blow through. I'll have to find some old sections of cable from a stinger lead and keep them in my gang box for just such occasions.[smilie=1: