PDA

View Full Version : What's the deal with Federal 45 acp

Andrew Quigley
07-29-2011, 10:17 AM
Noticed recently that a bunch of Federal brass I have has small primers in them. Why and when did this happen? One guy I know say's it's an indoor range thing. What the **** does that mean?:mrgreen:
Reckon they'll shoot just as good so I'll use them. Already have a bunch of small primers anyway.

timkelley
07-29-2011, 10:40 AM
As I understand it, the small primer 45 cases have no mercury in the primers. This must make them safe for whoever or whatever you shoot with them.;-);-)

GRUMPA
07-29-2011, 11:06 AM
Read this it may help out some.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=118638

Andrew Quigley
07-29-2011, 11:50 PM
Yep that explains alot. Had a pm from another member advising he'd heard these cases used small rifle primers and not small pistol primers. But after reading this post I believe their all small pistol primers. Thanks

ReloaderFred
07-30-2011, 12:54 AM
They all use small pistol primers. The only pistol caliber that I'm aware of that is loaded at the factory with small rifle primers is the 9x23 Winchester. All other pistol calibers that use small primers are loaded at the factory with small pistol primers.

Hope this helps.

Fred

mroliver77
07-30-2011, 02:03 AM
I keep a box of 1000 of the small primer .45 brass for emergency use. If I run short of large pistol primers or perhaps find another great deal on small primers I can use this brass.

During the last primer scare my pal was nervous that he was low on LP primers but did have many sr IN STOCK. i ADVISED THAT HE COULD USE MY sp BRASS IF NECESSARY. He was calmed and all ended up well.

J

nicholst55
07-30-2011, 02:07 AM
As I understand it, the small primer 45 cases have no mercury in the primers. This must make them safe for whoever or whatever you shoot with them.;-);-)

No lead; primers haven't contained mercury for going on 100 years. Lead contamination in indoor ranges is what's driving this. Look for the entire industry to go this way eventually.

bhn22
07-30-2011, 10:10 AM
It just occured to me. The small primer brass could be useful for the gonzo 45 ACP loaders who use AA #9 & H110. I need to look into this.

timkelley
07-30-2011, 09:15 PM
No lead; primers haven't contained mercury for going on 100 years. Lead contamination in indoor ranges is what's driving this. Look for the entire industry to go this way eventually.

You are correct, it is lead they removed, sorry.

DIRT Farmer
07-30-2011, 11:13 PM
I was at a gun show, no one wanted the sp NT brass on the table, I got a big bag for the offered 10 bucks, must have been more than a 1000.

malpaismike
08-03-2011, 02:20 AM
Hello the camp! This, of course, is what will let me sell my accumulation and buy a better grade of who-shot-john. I recently refurbished my SDB and set it up for small primers--mainly for .40s&w which I love and .38, which I can't seem to get away from.
In the process, I sold my .45 Colt and .45acp conv kits for same. If they go to sm primers for everything, I'll prolly quit------after I run out of 28# of powder and 30k primers. If they want green, sell it at the indoor range. I can see Mexico from my range; don't know schmidt about indoor. My .02 mm