PDA

View Full Version : Need Help With Primer Confusion...

UtopiaTexasG19
07-29-2011, 07:44 AM
For a current .357 Mag. load I have been useing the Winchester WSPM primers simply because the Hodgdon loading chart I use says to use them and I can get them locally in small amounts. I am planning on buying more but in slightly larger amounts but do not see them listed in my catalogs. Are any or all of the small pistol magnum load primers listed below comparable to the Winchester WSPM ? Thanks...
CCI#550
Federal#200
Magtech#5-1/2
Remington#5-1/2
Winchester#1-1/2M

Bwana
07-29-2011, 07:51 AM
Here is a chart which will answer your question.

http://www.handloads.com/misc/primers.asp

Bret4207
07-29-2011, 07:58 AM
Small Pistol Magnum Primer, I've interchanged primers for decades simply because I had to. You may or may not notice an accuracy difference. If you are shooting top end loads than it's wise to back off 10% and work back up being alert for pressure signs.

Moondawg
07-29-2011, 08:19 AM
1. Go to your nearest gunshow and you will most likely find the primers you want.

2. Order them from Graf, Midway, or any number of shooting retailers, or Powder Valley usually has good prices on primers. For what you save in sales tax and high local prices you can afford the $20 hazmat fee.

tomf52
07-29-2011, 08:24 AM
For whatever it may be worth to you, the last bunch of Winchester small pistol primers I bought said right on the box"for small pistol and small pistol magnum use". Go figure.

07-29-2011, 09:16 AM
"...the $20 hazmat fee."

It's been $25 for a few years.

williamwaco
07-29-2011, 09:32 PM
"...the $20 hazmat fee."

It's been $25 for a few years.

Check out powdervalley.com

About twice a year they have a blowout primer sale and waive the hazmat fee.

milprileb
07-30-2011, 10:43 PM
Or you can use Tula primers from dagammo.com
and get great primers for huge savings over Powder Valley
and other vendors.

Tula replicate Winchester primers in all my loads. THey
are top shelf primers. This year I have used over 20K
of Tula primers, bought 10K just yesterday to keep me
going.

Mavrick
07-30-2011, 11:01 PM
First question...what powder are you using?
If you're using Unique, Herco, or even Accurate #7 or #9, you don't HAVE to use magnum primers...it just doesn't make much difference until you're in the upper pressure ranges.
If you're using a slooow ball-powder like H110, a magnum may be better. CCI 550, Federal 200, or Remington #5 1/2 will translate just fine. As always, drop a few percentage points, and work back up.
Are you using a chronograph?
By the by, Alliant powders don't need 'em.
Have fun,
Gene

blikseme300
07-31-2011, 12:19 AM
Small Pistol Magnum Primer, I've interchanged primers for decades simply because I had to. You may or may not notice an accuracy difference. If you are shooting top end loads than it's wise to back off 10% and work back up being alert for pressure signs.

I agree with the above observation as my limited experience echos Bret's.

I Chrony'd my loads to be on the safe side when I stared using CCI550's for my 9's and 40S&W's. I acquired 20 bricks of these primers for a steal and was prepared to do testing before using many. The numbers as well as the accuracy between the CCI500 & CCI550 were so similar that no changes to my recipe was needed. BTW - HP38 was used in both.

Bliksem

Lizard333
07-31-2011, 08:16 AM
For whatever it may be worth to you, the last bunch of Winchester small pistol primers I bought said right on the box"for small pistol and small pistol magnum use". Go figure.

Are you sure that wasn't for your LARGE pistol primers. I just bought 5000 of of each of the primers, small pistol, and large pistol, and it only says that on the Large.

noylj
07-31-2011, 06:11 PM
I have never seen any difference in small magnum pistol primers and, in general, have found Winchest and CCI standard small pistol primers to be more than adequate--except with H110/296.
I found that in almost my magnums, 2400 gave me the best accuracy and worked just fine with a regular primer.
IF you are at MAX load, when you change primer, simply drop the load a grain or two and work up.