PDA

View Full Version : Red dot sights.......first exposure

3006guns
07-29-2011, 07:26 AM
I took my nephew to the range yesterday so he could try out his AR, newly equipped with an Aimpoint scope. Within a few shots he had it zeroed perfectly and shot groups that were eye openers for me. When he asked if I'd like to try it I jumped at the chance....

I've been collecting military rifles for over forty years and in all that time I've been using the issue sights "like a man". This was my first exposure to new technology and I was impressed, especially considering the irons could be used right through the scope if need be. The red dot is adjustable in intensity (size) for light conditions and makes accurate shooting child's play. Just put the little dot where you want the bullet to go! Unbelievable.

Now, if I can just figure a way to duct tape one to a Mosin Nagant or Mauser...well, o.k., maybe not duct tape....but it seems the term "eye relief" isn't part of the equation with one of these. If that's true, wouldn't it be possible to mount one of these in place of the standard rear sight? Hmmm....

Another old dog learning new tricks.

bcp477
07-31-2011, 04:22 PM
Eye relief is indeed, not an issue with red dot sights, unless they are the type which have magnification. Aimpoint, which is one of the best brands, makes several models with 2x or 3x magnification. With no magnification however, eye relief is theoretically unlimited.....and there is also no parallax. Of course, with no maginification then, maximum shooting distance is limited to that at which you can see the target clearly. As well, the dot size is usually large enough that it subtends (covers and blocks the view of) the target face at long distances. Many better quality red dots have adjustable dot sizes, or even different patterns, instead of dots (such as cross hairs, a triangle, a dot withing a circle, etc.)....so the better ones have more flexibility. Re dots also offer the advantage of "single plane sighting", just as do regular scopes (your eyes only have to focus on the reticle, not a front and rear sight as with iron sights).....which is a big advantage to those with less than perfect eyes.

For distances of 0 to 100 or so yards...or even a bit longer.....a quality red dot can be greatly superior to iron sights. This is one of the reasons that they are now almost universally issued with the M16 variants (mostly M4 carbines) now in use by the US military.

You certainly could get a scope mount for your Mosin or Mauser, which is designed to replace the rear sight (there are several types on the market)....and then fit a red-dot. I would strongly advise only a high-quality (and thus expensive) red-dot, like the Aimpoint, for example, if you choose to go this route. The cheap red-dots on the market are, well, mostly ****....just like cheap scopes.

leadman
07-31-2011, 07:36 PM
Might want to check with the Dutchman here for a mount that replaces the rear sight. He makes them for several mil-surp bolt guns, just can't remember which ones.

07-31-2011, 07:48 PM
I'm kicking around the idea of mounting a red dot on my daughter's Henry Mini-Bolt single shot .22. She's very right handed and left eye dominate. Still trying to get the nerve to drill and tap the very small bridge in front of the receiver. Working on the techno stuff to align base with the bore. If I can do it right, she will enjoy plinking so much more.

Shooter6br
08-01-2011, 03:10 AM
If the gun has a grooved receiver try a Tasco RD 22 $32 at Walleyworld. Have them on two airguns:smile: