PDA

View Full Version : model 10 or model 15? we need a new plinking revolver!

DanWalker
07-29-2011, 02:59 AM
Hey guys,
Looking at picking up another 38 for me and momma to shoot golf balls and tin cans with.
How do the model 10's and model 15's compare to each other?
I'm not a fan of dinky fixed sights. Is the 15 much bigger than the 10 or is it the same gun, but with adjustable sights?
She doesn't want a big heavy revolver, so I'm trying to meet her half way.

nicholst55
07-29-2011, 03:14 AM
Same frame, but adjustable sights. Some Model 15s also sport target hammers and triggers.

subsonic
07-29-2011, 06:21 AM
15s are the same. Just add adj sights. Great choice btw! My wife loves the one i bought for her and later bought her owm M28! Model14s are the same frame too, but usually have a longer, heavier barrel and are well known for fine accuracy (no flies on the 15 though!)

bobthenailer
07-29-2011, 09:12 AM
IMO go with the S&W 15 , adj sights are allways a big + . now try to find a nice one for around $400.00 . a friend just bought one in excellent shape for $350.00 but ive seen them in another gun shop around $500.00 , used in excellent shape. dont rule out a 65 ? or a 19 or 66 same size gun except for the barrel underlug adding perhaps 1 oz to the weight .

Char-Gar
07-29-2011, 12:44 PM
Both pistols are built in the K frame, one with adjustable sights and the other with fixed sights. There are differences in the barrel contours, hence weight and feel.

The Model 10 (Military and Police) came first with a slim (pencil barrel) and later with a heavier straight non-tapered barrel.

The Model 15 (Combat Masterpiece came with a ribbed barrel that is has a subtle taper so that it will come out of the holster quickly and smoothly.

I have both, but if I could only have one, it would be the Model 15. I like the sights on it better.

bobthenailer
07-29-2011, 03:55 PM
Budsguns.com has used model 10s for $270 . dont know if this is a good price or not but good luck!

Old Caster
07-29-2011, 05:16 PM
There are a lot o 10's out there that might be in excellent mechanical condition but bluing worn out because of holster wear by constables. They can be cheap but great buys. Most of the 15,s will cost more because normally they are in better looking shape and the sights make a price difference also. Check J&G guns from time to time for Smith used pistols. When they identify a gun in a certain condition, you can trust it to be true. I got a 10, 15, and 66 from them. All good.

scrapcan
07-29-2011, 06:01 PM
I say get either one that you can get in your price range. I like my M15-3 because of the adjustable sights. However the model 10 is a great plinker and great truck/horse gun because it does not have adjustable sights.

As mentioned, used model 10s can be had for very good prices.

What ever you end up bringing home tell us about the fun you have with it.

Shooter6br
07-29-2011, 06:07 PM
Got mine for$199

Kraschenbirn
07-29-2011, 06:11 PM
A dealer not so far from here is advertising M65s and M15s for "$250-$300" in our local swap & sell. Dunno if I really need another wheelgun but I may have to run out that way over the weekend, just to see what he's got on hand. Ad also says he's got some M91/30s starting at $110.

Bill

theperfessor
07-29-2011, 07:23 PM
I have a skinny barrel M10 that I almost always take to the range along with whatever else I take. Paid $225 for it a couple years ago. There is nothing as cheap, versatile, and fun to shoot as a .38. Would like to have adjustable sights (M15) but I've got several dependable loads that shoot where I point so no real problem there.

Frosty Boolit
07-30-2011, 07:45 AM
Shooting at targets as small as golf balls would require adjustable sights, I think. I got a model 15-3 2 years ago for 350 with only holster wear at the muzzle and front of cylinder. It could be my favorite handgun.

redneckdan
07-30-2011, 10:24 AM
I picked up this old girl a couple of years back at a local gun show. Was literally hiding under a pile of glocks. I was cruising the aisles and walked about 5 steps past it then thought to my self "self, there is something hiding under all that combat tupperware..." Went back and it was a model 15 for $200 out the door.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b77/redneckdan/IMGP3638.jpg

It was dirty, with lots of bluing wear. She goes just about everywhere with me and rests beside the bed at night. About 1500 rounds through it the hammer nose broke, not too hard a fix.

subsonic
07-30-2011, 10:29 AM
Thank goodness revolvers are obsolete junk fit for cowboys and women. Otherwise these things would hold value better! Hollywood please dont make any more action movies with the star using a revolver!

beagle
07-30-2011, 11:11 AM
Picked up a police turn-in Model 15 some years back for the wife (and myself). I was able to look it over and it had been carried a lot but fired very little.

I've owned a Model 10 too...way back and they're great shooters but have the fixed sights.

IMO, the adjustable sight M15 is worth the extra bucks and a little looking will find a police department trade-in that's right for you. I'd say $300 is about right for one.

Matches up with my Model 18 .22LR for cheap plining as well./beagle

Babalooie
07-31-2011, 03:58 AM
I'm a big fan of S&W revolvers. If you're going to get amodel 10 consider a model 64; if you like the model 15, consider the model 67. They are the stainless steel versions and, because they have a stainless steel finish, are lower maintenance guns.

If they develop scratches, a grey Scotchbrite pad can be used with a good metal polish ( Flitz, Simichrome, Mother's Mag and Aluminum polish) to restore it to near factory new. If you go with the model 15 or 10, get a bottle of Oxpho Blue Cream from Brownell's. It is a cold bluing product that does a great job.

StrawHat
07-31-2011, 07:09 AM
I used to be a bigger fan of the 38 Special than I am now (currently really like 45 caliber S&W revolvers) and I can tell you the accuracy difference between the M10 and the M15 is nil. Ease of use, well the nod goes to the M15 for that. With the M10, once a load is found the front sight can be made to give a better sight picture but you will need to stay with that load. I still have a M&P with a 5" barrel and my wife likes her 4" M15. Both are great shooters and easy to carry. In a way, I am glad it is your decision to make and not mine!

fivegunner
07-31-2011, 07:37 AM
I Love S&W Revolvers, so I say BUY ONE OF EACH!!!!:lovebooli

cajun shooter
07-31-2011, 12:14 PM
Subsonic, I hope you had a CAT scan performed after that accident where you had that terrible head impact. Find the old B&W movie channel and watch about two days of old detective movies. This will help you see the S&W K frame as the champion of all the best shoot outs.

NoZombies
07-31-2011, 04:07 PM
I've owned both the 10's and the 15's and I still own the 15 due to it's versatility. I like being able to change the sights for different loads, and I like the sight picture on the 15 better.

Either one is a good choice, I just gave the nod to the 15 for my personal use.

NickSS
07-31-2011, 05:00 PM
I have a M&P 38 and a M 10 but have owned several model 15s and 19s over the years they are all fine revolvers. The two I have currently were bargan priced so I could not resist and both shoot well. Personally when I had the model 15s about the only time I ever touched the sights was during initial sight in. I am the type of guy who gets one load to shoot and then sticks with it for years and years. Mine for the 38 spl is a lswc of 150 gr from a lyman mold and 3.5 gr of red dot. It does everything I want a 38 to do so it is all I ever loaded for something like 40 years. Only recently have I switched to a 125 gr bullet Lee 125 RF and 4.5 gr of WST as I got a bargan price on the WST and the six cavity lee mold is hard to beat. Both loads shoot to POA at 25 yards in my M 10.

Walt
07-31-2011, 07:39 PM
A dealer not so far from here is advertising M65s and M15s for "$250-$300" in our local swap & sell. Dunno if I really need another wheelgun but I may have to run out that way over the weekend, just to see what he's got on hand. Ad also says he's got some M91/30s starting at $110.

Bill

I hope you made it there in time to find some good ones.......lucky dog.

07-31-2011, 07:54 PM
I have a serious preference for the Mod 10. I've been issued two over the years and they function flawlessly for me. ULTRA-RELIABLE.

slide
07-31-2011, 08:26 PM
I own all of the above and they are all great guns.I recently bought a model 64 on one of those trade in deals. You just can't have too many.

Frosty Boolit
07-31-2011, 09:18 PM
what could be better than a model 15? A model 15 in stainless, it's a model 67 I think.

DanWalker
08-01-2011, 12:28 PM
We've pretty much settled on a Model 15. Now all I need to do is find one at a decent price.
The people on Gunbroker sure seem proud of what they have. I have a hard time paying $300+ for a rusty gun with the bluing worn off....

Matt_G
08-02-2011, 08:44 PM
Keep an eye on the for sale sub-forum out at the S&W forum as well Dan.
http://smith-wessonforum.com/guns-sale-trade/

pmer
08-07-2011, 04:50 PM
This is the trouble with forums. I read about something fun and cool and suddenly realise I'm dreadfully lacking in one area or another... I had a Model 10 follow me home yesterday and these are all that you guys are saying.

It has to be 95% or better in finish and has a narrow (or maybe even slight) drag line on the cylinder. SA and DA trigger pull are excellent. Shoots lower cost Federal tumble lube ammo to POA with no leading. Man... whats not to like about these. The second wheel I shot with it put 5 of 6 in 6 inches at 10 yards shooting double action!

This one was made in '66-67, has the 4'' slender barrel, and cost me $379. The shop owner wouldn't come down from that price and I don't think I can blame him either.

UnderDawgAl
08-07-2011, 06:35 PM
All well said.

I much prefer blued guns, but I bought a surplus Model 64 (stainless version of the Model 10) for $285 total on GB. It was dirty but otherwise in perfect condition. It's the tightest Smith I own.

As far as accuracy is concerned, I find it more accurate than I can hold. I shoot all lead at 10-20 yards, 95% double action. It's one of my favorites to shoot.

After wanting a Model 14 for years, I recently bought a 55-year-old K38 with endshake and headspace issues. I added some endshake shims, and it's shooting great. However, I still prefer to take the Model 64 shooting. That 4-inch barrel makes the gun easy to handle and easy to aim.

DanWalker
09-06-2011, 07:57 PM
wound up with a 4" barrel model 15. Shot it yesterday, and all I can say is WOW. What an amazing gun. Superb trigger pull and tight lockup. This is a pinned barrel gun, made in 1974. I just did some plinking with it, with some ammo I had laying around. I imagine it will be all I could want, once I get a load worked up for it.

scrapcan
09-07-2011, 12:05 PM
The other nice thing about the M15 is there are a gazzilion used holsters out there. If you look in the old holster junk box at gunshows and gunshops you will wind what you are looking for for a reasonable price.

Dan,

When you get a chance load up some full wadcutters with the normal load of BE. That is a hoot. depending on where you shoot, lead recovery is also easy with the standard load. They make for good can chasers, etc.. also