PDA

View Full Version : Too Much Money

gunnut14
07-28-2011, 07:32 PM
Do any of you have that problem or know someone that does?

I have a friend that I met at the range.
One of his guns costs more than all of mine.
About 3 months ago he gave me 550 rounds of Hornady match brass ( once fired).
It had not performed as well as he wanted.
He bought 500 rounds of Lapua match brass and yesterday gave me 100 of them and said they did not match any of his weight requirements.
His requirements,
All brass in a group must match in weight to 1 tenth of a gram.
Another group may be diferent but all in that group must match to 1 tenth gram.
None of the cases he gave me made the grade.
I weighed them . They are about 1-3 tenths gram apart.
Part of that could be in the fact they are not perfect legnth and after trimming I will know.
I have watched him shoot and he is good but that anal about cases?
He said he is the same way about bullets and sent a complete case back to Barnes as the weight differed up to 3 grams.
I love to shoot and will have a lot of fun with his castoffs.

gunnut14

Fishman
07-28-2011, 07:46 PM
It seems in your best interest to encourage such zealotry.

gray wolf
07-28-2011, 08:50 PM
My back hurts from picking up range brass,
I guess that answers the question from my end EH.

Hardcast416taylor
07-28-2011, 10:46 PM
Grams and Grains are two different units of measurement. Robert

TCLouis
07-28-2011, 10:59 PM
Depending on his skill and the absolute precision of his guns, I doubt it is needed, but I would encourage him to dump all bad brass on you.

454PB
07-28-2011, 11:40 PM
Yeah, a gram is 15.4 grains, so I'd get rid of those bullets too.

perimedik
07-28-2011, 11:49 PM
He probably read it somewhere on the internet.
Take the brass, be polite and carry on.

If it doesn't meet your standards PM me for an address :)

220swiftfn
07-29-2011, 01:33 AM
Yep, and all of 'em AREN'T ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...................

I do have a friend that's that anal, but he loads for match, so that's ok......(he uses most of the culls for practice/plinking, and gives some of them to me, so I'm not complaining....) I might be proud, but I'm not rich......

Dan

olafhardt
07-29-2011, 02:43 AM
I don't guess he is shooting a Hipoint. e

63 Shiloh
07-29-2011, 03:31 AM
WOW!

I would be following that bloke around with a bucket in hand.

Brings the old saying, ' more money than sense' into perspective.

Mike

maglvr
07-29-2011, 04:12 AM
Never knew a person like that with brass or bullets, However, I knew a woman (in her 30's at the time)
who would buy a carton of cigarettes, open the first pack, light one up and go into a absolute RAGE! saying they were stale! She would jump up, throw the open pack in the trash, open the closet and toss the carton in there with the remaining 9 packs in it, go to a different store and buy another carton! She had at least 200, 9pack cartons in that closet. But she wouldn't throw them out! Sadly for me, she smoked menthols :(

gunnut14
07-29-2011, 09:13 AM
Sorry about that ! Meant grains not grams.
Was a long day.

gunnut14

bowfin
07-29-2011, 05:08 PM
Learn this phrase:

"Are you gonna load them when they look like that?"

That ought to double...nay, triple!...the stuff he throws your way.

JeffinNZ
07-29-2011, 06:27 PM
I am not sure about "too much money". He can obviously afford his sport and is generous enough to share his surplus with you. That's all good. Many people have helped me out in similar ways an I intend to PIF likewise long term with young shooters and such.

That all said, I do very well out of range pick ups and scrap brass.

Down South
07-29-2011, 07:23 PM
Sounds like a friend that you need to keep.

shooter93
07-29-2011, 07:49 PM
I have a friend who's very wealthy and I'd never consider him as having more money than brains. He's extremely generous with his guns and shooting things. He probably has one of the world's finest collections and it is nothing for him to hand someone at the range a 6 digit double rifle and 200 dollars worth of ammo just so they can get the experience of shooting one. 35 years ago he convinced me to shoot registered trap for a season or two...I told him I really didn't have a suitable gun so he said just borrow one of mine for a year or so to see if you like the sport....it was a high grade Perazzi. I like having guys like him around and I've been fortunate to have known a few. They are good for us all.

Ugluk
07-29-2011, 08:28 PM
A reason to keep friends with him.. And never ever ever let him see you outshoot him!

Oreo
07-29-2011, 09:16 PM
Pft... I'd happily be that rich just so I could do stuff like that. I really enjoy sharing what I have with others. Just wish I had more to go around.

Rick N Bama
07-29-2011, 09:38 PM
For my custom built 6BR, I want everything just as close as I can get it. That said, the rifle hasn't been fired in 4 years, it's just too boringly accurate & weight matched brass & bullets (condom type) helped make it that way. I would much rather shoot my not so accurate handguns with my own cast boolits for they're tons more fun IMHO.

Take his brass & bullets, then enjoy them to the fullest!

Rick

oscarflytyer
07-29-2011, 09:42 PM
Have a good friend who is a true collector. He does shoot them, as I do. But he and I are almost diametrically opposed. I am a shooter collector - I pick up old milsurps, Marlins and working on Savage 99s. But I want shooters long before i get warped about condition. I want to carry/shoot/hunt them! Condition be damned as long as they put rounds on target and kill deer!

He collects Parkers. Pres of the collector's club. Has a bunch, as well as other S/S Dbls. Fun part is, I get to shoot them whenever he gets the urge to take one to the skeet range! I shoot them like ****, but they are a blast!

We compliment each other well! He also has 3-4 ARs, including an original AR-15! has no clue how to set them up/sight them in. One day, our future project is for me to take all his ARs out, shoot them and sight them in, and then teach him how to shoot them. Right now he would just fill multiple mags with ammo and spray and pray!

I love the crazy guy! It's a great team effort!

nonferrous
07-29-2011, 09:46 PM
If you must use castoff brass, at least be sure to throw the ones with split mouths.

ColColt
07-30-2011, 11:59 AM
It sounds to me you've located a Daddy Warbucks. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth but just enjoy your good fortune.

casterofboolits
08-01-2011, 08:47 AM
Wanna see some people with more money than brains? Visit the 1911 forum. On one thread a guy suggested they reload to save money and they jumped on him with both feet! They probably would have tracked him down if he had suggested casting thier own!

bamacisa
08-02-2011, 06:39 AM
Some people have more dollars than cents

adrians
08-02-2011, 07:11 AM
where does he /you shoot?.
i need a new friend like that !!:veryconfu.
:evil: :coffee::evil:

Mavrick
08-02-2011, 09:49 PM
I enjoy playing with these people's minds. I shoot action type competition, and like to "team up" some of these guys that think you have to spend $2000-2500 to get a gun that will shoot and only factory ammo is any good.
I'm old and know how to LOOK old (like Granpappy Amos, lol) sometimes. I can really pour on the poor, if I want to. It's mostly my sense of humor, not that I'm poor.
I shoot an inexpensive 1911-clone, and only shoot lead through it.
Most of these guys will let me have their cases because I "need" them.
You ought to see these guys faces when I show up with Steel cases loaded with lead.
"It's all I can afford!"
Never fight with an old man...etc.
Have fun,
Gene

MtGun44
08-03-2011, 02:46 PM
Tell him that with 0.1 gr variation, he'll get flyers - just give you the "bad cases", with more
than 0.01 gr variation. He should buy 1000 Lapua brass in all the normal calibers and sort
out the good ones and give you the 'trash'. :-)

Bill

Hardcast416taylor
08-03-2011, 10:07 PM
I was competing in a club skeet & trap shoot once. A guy I knew fairly well was having a bad day shooting. He had a very well paying engineers job so his wallet always had more than $3 in it like mine usually had. Well he finally thought that those Win. AA shells were his problem after another not stellar skeet round. He comes up to me with his custom canvas shell tote and tells me to use those defective shells, all 4 boxes of them! He didn`t even want the 4 box tote back! He was quick to find fault on anything else other than his shooting ability.Robert

X-man
08-05-2011, 02:15 PM
It seems in your best interest to encourage such zealotry.

I was thinking the same thing!:-D I wish I had friends like that. Best I can hope from mine is that I get my circular saw back from them sometime in the next decade. I'll take free 1X fired Hornady match brass and virgin Lapua brass all day long.

Rocky Raab
08-05-2011, 02:45 PM
I'm not exactly poor, but I didn't get here by being a profligate spender. Nor would I STAY this way by suddenly becoming one.

fredj338
08-05-2011, 03:23 PM
Your freind really has no idea what he is doing IMO. Even Lapua, exceptional brass, isn;t coming in within 1gr for maybe less than 10% of the cases. It just doesn't matter that much. I have shot loads in match prepped cases, hand weighed, neck turned, blah, blah & they don't shoot shoot a whole lot better than the same loads in brass that I just take out of the box & load. You might get an extra 0.1" smaller group from a high end bench rifle, but most guns & shooters can not utilize such accuracy.

XWrench3
08-06-2011, 11:19 AM
that guy ABSOUTLY MUST work for the UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT!!!:groner:

mdi
08-06-2011, 11:53 AM
Nuttin' wrong with being anal about one's brass. Most of us have our own standards/tolerences when it comes to our reloading or casting components. Some of us are motivated by costs and will stretch every possible reload out of our brass, and some will only reload brass a certain number of times. Some have a set tolerence of case capacity for uniformity (he weighs his). Perhaps he has no extra storage space for some brass out of his tolerences, and just likes the O.P. To him, it does make a difference and who are we , sitting way out here in cyber-space to say it don't? Remember, he is spending his money to assemble his idea of "the perfect ammo" for his guns.