PDA

View Full Version : My Ultimate .357 Magnum Load For Hunting Chronographs...

UtopiaTexasG19
07-28-2011, 05:15 PM
I can't believe I did this... :(
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l46/mpawelek/DeadChronograph001Small.jpg

R.M.
07-28-2011, 05:23 PM
I'll venture a guess and say that you are not the first to do it. I've heard from pretty good sources, that shall remain un-named, that they can't stand up to 44 mag either.

oscarflytyer
07-28-2011, 05:24 PM
O ****! Afraid of what I was going to see when i opened this post! Condolences. Hope I miss better than you did when I get mine...

1Shirt
07-28-2011, 05:31 PM
Ya made a clean kill on the thing!
1Shirt!:coffee:

DrB
07-28-2011, 05:42 PM
Buddy, that's tough. You hit it close enough center to kill it, but not so close you could claim it was a'purpose.

I may have bagged a skyscreen rod or two, myself. If you have plenty of spares in your chrony box you can swap one out before folks on the line notice. [smilie=1:

UtopiaTexasG19
07-28-2011, 05:42 PM
I wonder if I could send it in for repair under the warranty?

olafhardt
07-28-2011, 05:44 PM
I hit mine with a 38 and it still works sorta. If yours does not then we have deflnative proof that the 357 is more effective than the 38.

offshore44
07-28-2011, 05:58 PM
I punched the "reset string" button on mine with a 45 ACP...it reset the chrony for sure! ...all the way to scrap. I called up the manufacturer and they said to send it in with the proper form and they'd repair / replace for half of current retail. They also said that it happens all the time...hence the proper form to submit. ;)

JeffinNZ
07-28-2011, 06:05 PM
Exit wound looks shabby.

Send it back to Chrony for their 'Rogues Gallery'.

You're not the first. You won't be the last.

Bula
07-28-2011, 06:12 PM
oops.

Send it back and they'll get you set up. Half of retail is still quite a bit of savings.

376Steyr
07-28-2011, 06:18 PM
Pact.com Because its silly to shoot at expensive things.

pipehand
07-28-2011, 06:18 PM
I'm on my second chrony for similar reasons. Was checking mv's for three different guns in 45 LC with the same load. Forgot that the first two up in the S&W Mountain gun were shotloads. Not nearly as dramatic as your pic, the screen just stopped functioning with #9 shot through it.

UtopiaTexasG19
07-28-2011, 06:22 PM
I assume this would be a great time to thank "Missouri Bullet Company" for their excellent Brinell 12 castings! The amazing thing is that this round went through the chronograph, 3 sheets of 3/8" plywood, a refrigerator and then made a sizable divot in my 1/2"
4'X4' steel sheet backstop. I was very accurate with the first 9 rounds at 40 feet using the pistol as a single action but got crazy on the 10th. round and tried the double action mode. I should have known better doing this with the chronograph as I have a slight palsey in my hands and generally only use the double action mode when there is nothing in the way. I think I'll hang this thing on the wall to keep me humble. Average FPS for the first 9 rounds was 1211...

Westwindmike
07-28-2011, 06:49 PM
Here is how I keep my Chrony safe from me. The whole thing sits on top of my tripod.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j203/westwindmike/Reloading/DSCN4094Small.jpg

UtopiaTexasG19
07-28-2011, 08:54 PM
Is that made out of steel? What does it weight? I'd probably hit the flat front and have the bullet head back in my direction!

Dark Helmet
07-28-2011, 09:31 PM
Shoot it again, can't you see the poor things suffering? :razz:

btroj
07-28-2011, 09:32 PM
I knocked a wire on mine, with the very first shot. What makes it worse is that I am at the range with my wife, and said wife had given me the Chrony for Christmas. How I knicked the wire enough to bend it 90 degrees but not cut it I don't know. and that with a 22 hornet Contneder.
Wife still mentions it regularly. Even 10 years later.

curator
07-28-2011, 10:04 PM
I've had two Chronys shot through by shooting buddies. Neither offered to pay and since have been deleted from the "buddy list." Sent both back to the Chroy folks who replaced them at half of retail plus shipping. Nice people and a good product. I wasn'r that upset about the first Chrony-shooting since I had damaged the screen slightly with black powder which acted like #9 shot at 10 feet. I have since outfitted the view screen and the sky screens with lexan shields. The second chrony-shoot was a .270 Wheatherby Mag where I had explained how the scope might cause a low shot. "Not that low" said my former lawyer buddy. Kerblam! Only pieces to send back but the Chrony people did not complain.

garym1a2
07-28-2011, 10:35 PM
I tell my buddies they can shoot at my crono but if they bit it the cost is $100.

TCLouis
07-28-2011, 11:02 PM
Looks like the 357 Max is also a One-Shot-Stop caliber too!

oscarflytyer
07-28-2011, 11:20 PM
I punched the "reset string" button on mine with a 45 ACP...it reset the chrony for sure! ...all the way to scrap. I called up the manufacturer and they said to send it in with the proper form and they'd repair / replace for half of current retail. They also said that it happens all the time...hence the proper form to submit. ;)

***** - Gotta LOVE a company like that!!! Just get the d@mn paperwork right and we will fix it!

Westwindmike
07-28-2011, 11:22 PM
Is that made out of steel? What does it weight? I'd probably hit the flat front and have the bullet head back in my direction!

It is pretty heavy steel. I asked the welder to make the front slanted from the base, but he added the vertical to it. It weighs about 8 pounds. When shooting through the Chrony, I always shoot of a rest. When possible, I even look through the barrel and make sure I can't see red before I shoot. So far, so good.

A friend of mine had his Chrony shot by a "friend" who had borrowed it. He was trying to see how fast his arrow was at 20 yards. Center punched it with an arrow and never even offered to replace it! I was taught if you borrow something and break it, you replace it.

Bullwolf
07-28-2011, 11:49 PM
My old chronograph suffered a similar fate.

A "friend" who I worked with, who did not shoot as well as he thought he did, managed to plug my old chronograph dead center while on the ranch.

It was also one of the few things that he managed to hit that day.

He did not offer to pay for it. That behavior, as well as his unsafe gun handling practices led to him being deleted from my "friends list", and his invitation to shoot at my place was also removed.

I am a bit more hesitant now when someone asks to shoot through my chronograph out of curiosity, or to check on a load.

I normally say no problem, as long as I am the one doing the shooting, or you put up a 100 dollar bill for accidental chronograph death insurance. At that point, they tend to just hand me the gun. Of course if I ever do shoot my own chronograph after that spiel, I sure am going to feel silly.

I was also taught that if you break something that belongs to someone else, you are supposed to offer to pay for it.

Awesome chronograph shield though - great innovation there.

- Bullwolf

olafhardt
07-29-2011, 02:33 AM
Can we establish a "Chrony Killing Award"similar to Boone and Crockett, Pope and Young, Nobel piece Prize, OBE, etc. I understand that I could only claim third class since mine still works, sorta, after I shot it with a 38, but I feel like I still deserve some recognition.

bobthenailer
07-29-2011, 08:18 AM
Im sure there are hundreds of chronos shot up ! so youre not alone !
I bought a new one and sold my old one to a friend ! he was trying it out for the first time and he shot the chrony on the first shot . STUFF HAPPENS

UtopiaTexasG19
07-29-2011, 10:20 AM
I guess the theme song for those of us who have descimated a chronograph would be.....
"I shot the chrony, but I did not shoot the deputy"! :Fire:

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-29-2011, 10:25 AM
one shot one kill

thehouseproduct
07-29-2011, 11:57 AM
My chrony must be tougher than yours. Mine has been shot 3 times and still wants to go out. :-)

I have heard people use wooden dowell instead of metal uprights so they break clean when shot. I haven't found the right size yet. I might have to build one of the shields.

UtopiaTexasG19
07-29-2011, 12:03 PM
Someone reported using wooden shish-k-bob skewers for the uprights. Would not have helped me in this case!

billnconnie
07-29-2011, 12:17 PM
357 is over kill, I got mine with a 410 shot shell loaded with 8 shot.
Bill

plainsman456
07-29-2011, 01:55 PM
223 does a number on them as well.
I have it mounted on a plaque on the wall so as not to forget again.

geargnasher
07-29-2011, 02:12 PM
Pact.com Because its silly to shoot at expensive things.

Amen!

Gear

Ugluk
07-29-2011, 07:58 PM
Shot placement is everything..:mrgreen:

CED is pricey but comes with affordable remote sensors. Also the official ISPC chronograph.

.5mv^2
07-29-2011, 10:41 PM
My Chrony suffered the same fate twice. Both shooting the same 40sw. weapon.

leadman
07-29-2011, 11:40 PM
My first Chrony had the display out on the unit. After a gas check came off a 22 cal boolit I now have the display unit on the bench. Chrony was good about the trade in and said the sensors are cheap compared to the display since this is also the computer.

GARCIA
07-30-2011, 06:55 AM
I use wooden 1/8th" dowels picked up at my local Hobby Lobby store. Something like two dozen for a buck or so.

I have only wounded my chrony so far. Been shot twice. Once by my oldest son with a .22lr and most recently by yours truly.

It's surprising how much damage these things can take!!

Tom

Junior1942
07-30-2011, 07:26 AM
I tell my buddies they can shoot at my crono but if they bit it the cost is $100.+1 on the $100. I make them agree before hand. No agree = no shoot.

PS: An 8x57 Mauser will completely penetrate a Chrony.........

dnepr
07-30-2011, 08:20 AM
All my buddies won't shoot over my crony the all insist I do the shooting , chrony is still unmarked after hundreds of rounds , lucky i guess 'cause it only takes one:smile:

Lizard333
07-30-2011, 08:53 AM
Second time I took out my new crony, my brother hits it with a 1911 45, looks at me and says something is wrong with my pistol!! Didn't even hesitate! And no, he didn't offer to pay. He said it was my fault for trusting him with shooting at it. I should have known better!!

Thumbcocker
07-30-2011, 09:14 AM
If the darn thing hadn't reared up to try and charge you it would still be alive today.

UtopiaTexasG19
07-30-2011, 09:35 AM
After seeing one of the members picture of a protective device for his Chronograph I decided to get into the barn this morning and look for some scrap metal. I welded up this rig and spray painted in less than 45 minutes. Don't know the hardness of the angled piece so I will eventually put some rounds into it and see how it fairs. If the steal does not hold up I can find something stronger. In the mean time I'm deciding on a new chronograph trying to decide if I need one with the remote unit or if this will do.
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l46/mpawelek/ChronoProtect001Small.jpg

markinalpine
07-30-2011, 09:33 PM
Hey! Didn't know Chrony Season was open yet! [smilie=p:

Mark :bigsmyl2:

Herb3
07-30-2011, 10:30 PM
I have always been told that there are two kinds of people, those that have shot their chrony and those that will someday shoot their chrony.

I got one of the uprights for the sensors the first time out with mine......

Southern Son
07-31-2011, 04:03 AM
I say all of you are doing only half a job. When I shot my Chrony, I put TWO rounds into it, one right after the other. On the first round, the Chrony just gave me an error message, So I fired again and pretty much put the second round into the same hole. Got another error message, but the sceond time I saw the Chrony move a little bit when the bullet hit it.

The killer bullet was a Sierra 40 grain Blitzking doing about 4200fps from a 22/250 Improved. They really do break up when they hit stuff those Blitzkings. Them metal fram in the middle of the opened Chrony looked like a tiny little shotgun had blasted it.

I have heard the same thing, Herb.

thehouseproduct
07-31-2011, 04:40 PM
They always say to never point a gun at something you don't intend to destroy......

dougader
07-31-2011, 05:45 PM
I have hit the tiny paper sky screens on my little Chrony, but the rest is ok.

BTW, and please forgive me if I missed it in the earlier posts, but what's your load data for that round? Looks to be a good un'! :mrgreen:

UtopiaTexasG19
07-31-2011, 06:15 PM
This .357 Magnum load is...
Missouri Bullet Company 158 Grain LSWC (Brinell 12)
Winchester WSPM Primer
6.9 Grains HP-38
Average FPS from 9 Rounds = 1211
Dan Wesson .357 Magnum (6" Barrel) Bought in 1974

mpmarty
07-31-2011, 06:32 PM
I too have a Chrony but do not use the metal rods to support the sky screens. I substitute thin wooden sticks from a hobby shop and so if I hit one the damage is minimal.

41mag
07-31-2011, 07:18 PM
I've got two of them. One is from when the first hit the market and a newer one with all the bells and whistles.

Both have been hit with something and are still kicking. I do use the older one for archery work at the targets set at 20, 30, and 40yds, and I have to say the pucker factor is there on every shot. I usually don't start using it until just before the season though so I know I can at least hit the spot I am aiming at.

Shiloh
07-31-2011, 10:00 PM
I can't believe I did this... :(
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l46/mpawelek/DeadChronograph001Small.jpg

I'll venture a guess and say that you are not the first to do it. I've heard from pretty good sources, that shall remain un-named, that they can't stand up to 44 mag either.

Or from a 220 gr. RN from a .30/40 Krag. Ask me how I know;)

Shiloh

legi0n
07-31-2011, 10:15 PM
I shot mine with a 357-158-RF bullet. Dead before I could read the velocity :D
I didn't know the company would refurbish it for half price. And I'm Canadian. Instead I ordered one in the US of A!
Oh well, you learn something every day...

alamogunr
08-01-2011, 10:17 AM
The CED has been recommended by at least one poster in this thread. I have one and the only drawback is the skyscreen supports are plastic and configured in such a way that replacing them with something cheap and easily replaced if shot would be difficult. Because of that, I bought a replacement set. I've only winged one of mine, so it is still usable, but I'm sure I will eventually plug something.

If there is a CED owner here that has come up with a cheap replacement support for the sky screen, I would like to hear from them. As for the sky screen itself, I've wondered if a section could be cut from a milk jug or something similar.