PDA

View Full Version : Cabbage contest

Blammer
07-28-2011, 04:54 PM
My daughter is entering a giant cabbage contest at school. The top prize is a $1,000 scholarship.

I hope she wins! :)

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g81/blammer8mm/DSCN8503.jpg

DrB
07-28-2011, 05:01 PM
Nice. :)

Our cabbage down here is looonnng gone. Most stuff is trying to burn up about now.

crabo
07-28-2011, 05:08 PM
That's a lot of cole slaw!

Charlie Two Tracks
07-28-2011, 05:21 PM
Very good Blammer! I hope she wins also.

JeffinNZ
07-28-2011, 06:00 PM
What's her secret? I can't grow cabbages to save myself.

dale2242
07-28-2011, 06:43 PM
Tell her good job DJ. What does it weigh? We will need to know thw winning weight....dale

Von Gruff
07-28-2011, 07:28 PM
Sure is a beauty. I have taken to growing the small cannonball cabbage. Only about 4-5 inches across they are really good eating and with just mrs VG and I they are the perfect size to stay fresh after being cut. Cooked witha little butter and pepper or as cole slaw they are good right through the year. Just passed mid winter and we are still relying on the garden for greens.

Von Gruff.

1911sw45
07-28-2011, 09:31 PM
Looks like Flat Dutch. Them heads sure do get big. Hope she wins!

Adam

Blammer
07-28-2011, 10:17 PM
This cabbage wt's 93 oz's.

The kicker is, the wt don't matter! It's more a photo contest and luck of the draw combined.

Each student from her class who submits a photo is judged on who the winner is. One winner from each class is submitted to the state (photo only) and they pick a winner for the scholar ship. So it's half, just entering, half just luck. :)

Yes, we get to keep and eat it, it should make some good steamed cabbage and some great coleslaw!

I have no idea what kind it is, the ticket on the cabbage plant she got from school said "giant cabbage". :)

The plus is, they learned about agriculture and cabbage growing in school that week.

MT Gianni
07-29-2011, 12:43 AM
A friends daughter won that a few years ago. There is a winner in every State IIRC.

DrB
07-29-2011, 01:21 AM
Good luck!

Ever tried it grilled? That was a new one to me, but it is great.

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-29-2011, 01:36 AM
Good luck to Her !!!

My Cabbages should be ready to pick a a week or two.

casterofboolits
07-29-2011, 11:50 AM
Our cabbages usually run 12" to 16" and make fantastic Cole Slaw!

Houndog
07-29-2011, 09:47 PM
Good for her!
Not only did she do something by herself, with a little help from Mom amd Dad, I'm sure, she learned a little about what it takes to put food on the table.. At least there's a few schools teaching something useful in everyday life!

Blammer
07-29-2011, 09:49 PM
Yep, we have a fair garden, beans, carrots, tomatoes, lots of lettuce, pumpkins, green peppers and onions.

and of course cabbage. :D

Ed Barrett
07-29-2011, 11:13 PM
Sure is a beauty. I have taken to growing the small cannonball cabbage. Only about 4-5 inches across they are really good eating and with just mrs VG and I they are the perfect size to stay fresh after being cut. Cooked witha little butter and pepper or as cole slaw they are good right through the year. Just passed mid winter and we are still relying on the garden for greens.

Von Gruff.

You are sure making me hungry!!

geargnasher
07-30-2011, 01:04 AM
Good job, Blammer-ette!

Cole slaw is ok but if it were me i'd have to make some 'kraut! Layer knife-shredded cabbage, large quartered white onions, and a few whole canned jalepenos with salt (10-12 layers per foot) in an earthenware crock or gallon glass jar, cover with a ceramic plate and put a brick or similar weight on it to keep constant pressure on it. Let ferment for a couple of months in a cool, dark place, it will make it's own brine. When the brine turns from alcohol to vinegar it's done. You might have to hold your nose to eat it, but there's nothing better on top of a Hebrew National hot dog or good grilled Bratwurst in a bun.

Gear

MtGun44
07-31-2011, 09:48 PM
Jeff,

Need cool to cold weather, they don't like much heat. You would not believe what they
grow up in the Matanuska Valley of Alaska. They get about 24 hrs of sunshine in the summer
and have really rich glacial soil. In the grocery stores they had 18" + diameter HARD heads,
no loose leafs included. I was absolutely amazed. I think it is impossible to grow them
that big in the lower 48. I can't even guess how much coleslaw an 18" head of cabbage will make.

Good luck to the daughter!

Bill

Iowa Fox
08-01-2011, 12:46 PM
Best of luck to your daughter.

Our cabbage did very well this year, nice & sweet with large solid heads and no bugs. Wife and I made 20lbs of kraut. We started all the the plants from seed in the house.

Moonie
08-01-2011, 01:34 PM
I love cabbage, any way you can cook it from coleslaw to boiled, from sauerkraut to cabbage rolls.

Wife can't even stand the smell of it cooking...

[smilie=b:

I don't get to eat much cabbage, but mama is happy.