PDA

View Full Version : Rcbs rotor for the little dandy Are they steel or aluminum?

tackstrp
07-28-2011, 03:39 PM
Rcbs rotor for the little dandy Are they steel or aluminum? Would like to be able to drill out the hole size to change the CC.

Junior1942
07-28-2011, 03:46 PM
Mine are steel.

tackstrp
07-28-2011, 03:50 PM
thanks . was afraid of that . wonder if i could get the largest size and make inserts? will go to cabelas and try to find one to examine

thanks again

BCall
07-28-2011, 04:38 PM
As Jr said, they are steel, but why the inserts? Just trying to figure out what you want to do. If all you want to do is change the cc's, you could simply get a larger size, fill the cavity with epoxy or such, and the drill or grind out the excess until it throws the amount you need. Not sure how inserts would work, but if you find something, let me know. Maybe a cheaper way to change the powder amts than buying new rotors, which IMO have gotten too expensive to make the Lil Dandy very versatile. To buy a complete set new nowadays is alot of money.

mac60
07-28-2011, 06:27 PM
They also sell a "blank" - a rotor not drilled, so you can drill it yourself according to your needs.

tackstrp
07-28-2011, 06:39 PM
What i was thinking about doing was get some aluminmun rod . Cut off proper length glue into the hole and drill the size i want.

Never thought about epoxy, good idea.

you also correct about crazy prices for new rotors. . My experince with the other powder inserts was not great, never seemed to be the proper size. So I would drill out the smaller ones.

Thanks

HangFireW8
07-28-2011, 06:52 PM
A possible alternative is the (out of production) Lyman Accu Measure. These come up on eBay a couple times a month and have brass rotors.

dbldblu
07-28-2011, 07:00 PM
I have made them out of steel, brass, aluminum and plastic. Even the plastic seems to be holding up fine; I will check it from time to time though.

tackstrp
07-28-2011, 07:22 PM
thanks will look