PDA

View Full Version : Safe Queens

alamogunr
07-28-2011, 10:03 AM
A while back I ordered some Sack Ups from Midway when they were on sale. I intended to try to protect some of the better rifles in my safe. Well, I finally got around to it yesterday. In trying to decide which rifles to "sack up" I realized that I had several that I had not had out of the safe in quite some time.

I have seen references to safe queens from time to time here and always thought it applied to someone else's guns. When I finished, I had 6 lever actions that I put in the sacks: Brownchester 71 & 95, a Big Bore .375, Winchester 94 from early 50's, a Marlin .30-30 w/fancy wood(I'm going to have that one refinished to eliminate the shiny stock) and a Marlin 1895 .45-70. The lever action I have been shooting lately is a Marlin 30AW that I bought at a gun show for $250.

Don't ask about buying any of them. I don't sell guns. If you are young enough, you can wait until my sons decide what to do with them.

Lately, most of my shooting has been rimfires, mil-surps or handguns and the above guns have had little or no use. They have all been fired but not a lot. So they all got a good rub down with an oily rag and an oil patch thru the bore and into the back of the safe.

Do others here have the same situation? When you faced up to it, did it prompt you to get them out and shoot or, do as I did and put them in the back of the safe?

redneckdan
07-28-2011, 10:14 AM
I have sold a few firearms in my time. Don't really miss any of them.

Kraschenbirn
07-28-2011, 10:53 AM
I've disposed of a few "safe queens" over the last several years but most were trades so, even after adding a second safe, I'm still a bit shy on secure storage space. For the most part, I don't miss any of those sent down the road, either.

Bill

crabo
07-28-2011, 11:03 AM
I try to buy guns that I will use. I also do a lot to them. I would rather have one really good weapon, set up the way I like, than several more that are still factory stock. Triggers, good scopes, gunsmith work that improves functioning, is more important to me, than another gun.

My BIL remarked to me that he could shoot my guns better, and hit more things with my guns, than he could with his son's guns, even though we have some of the same guns.

jameslovesjammie
07-28-2011, 01:04 PM
I've only gotten rid of one gun. It was a bolt action magazine fed "something or other" 20 gauge with a cracked stock. I got it at a rummage sale for $5. I gave it to a friend who told me he needed parts for the same gun in 16 gauge. He ended up taking it to a pawn shop and got $45 for it.

I try and only buy guns that I REALLY want. I spend more time reading and doing research than browsing gun store racks. I never let a salesman influence me. 99 percent of time I know more than he does anyway.

1Shirt
07-28-2011, 05:23 PM
With but the exception of a couple that I could not get to shoot with cast, I regret selling or trading a number of guns. They include a 9MM Browning Hi Power, a Single Shot Browning in 6Rem, two Ruger Bearcats, three issue 1911's, and a Mod 42 Win. Kind of like crying over spilled milk!
1Shirt!:coffee:

Catshooter
07-28-2011, 09:58 PM
Alamo,

When I read your thread title I thought, "I don't have any of those".

Then I read your post . . . ha! Not only am I in the same boat as you, some of my queens are the same as or similar to yours. Pretty funny.

I do sell guns and I think I'll be listing some soon. Thanks, I think! :)

Cat

bobthenailer
07-29-2011, 08:03 AM
I put every gun i have in a sack up or simular product in my gun safe ! if you think about it you usually put all the marks on a gun from taking in & out of the safe and what ever ocures taking it to the range ! almost none while useing them .
my guns go from the safe , and directley into a gun case or bag.

Calamity Jake
07-29-2011, 08:33 AM
I have 3 safes, full, with many safe queens, they'll get handed down, or if need be sold at
public auction, you ever been to a public gun auction? BIG $$$$$$$$ can be made.

timkelley
07-29-2011, 09:28 AM
I started in selling off the seldom used guns in the safe about three months ago. I had one or two I got 30 years ago, I liked then, but didn't care for anymore. Lately I am going more to cowboy guns, I don't have to chase the empties so far.

DCM
07-29-2011, 10:26 PM
My BIL remarked to me that he could shoot my guns better, and hit more things with my guns, than he could with his son's guns, even though we have some of the same guns.

Sounds like your BIL needs to spend some $ on his OWN guns.

I have a few safe queens I am seriously thinking of getting rid of so I can spend the money on some new ones. :-)

crabo
07-30-2011, 12:40 AM
Sounds like your BIL needs to spend some $ on his OWN guns.

I built him his own 10/22 with his money. Pictures and details here.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=120282

I am started him reloading and when he comes down for a few weeks this winter, we will do a lot more. I slicked up his guide gun and he is getting the bug pretty bad. Hanging out with me has cost a lot of my friends a lot of money.

BOOM BOOM
07-31-2011, 12:56 AM
HI,
I tend to shoot all my guns, my 12 gu. rem 870 pump has been neglected as I prefer rifles & pistols.
Now my wife has a blk. powder rifle & a 357 that have not been shot for several yrs.
I guess i'll have to get the 12 out and shoot it.
Look out grouse, squirrels, & rabbits.:Fire::Fire:

DCM
07-31-2011, 04:47 PM
I built him his own 10/22 with his money. Pictures and details here.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=120282

I am started him reloading and when he comes down for a few weeks this winter, we will do a lot more. I slicked up his guide gun and he is getting the bug pretty bad. Hanging out with me has cost a lot of my friends a lot of money.

Nice rifle. Glad to see he has his own and you have the hook set well.
Sorry it just sounded like he was always using someone elses gear.

crabo
07-31-2011, 07:28 PM
DCM, he has no problem buying guns. He's a farmer and likes to hunt. He is now starting to understand what a tuned gun, and ammo, is all about. I am trying to get him started with pistols. He likes to shoot mine and his son's, but hasn't bought his own yet

canyon-ghost
07-31-2011, 07:38 PM
In answer to your question, I keep mine. It sounds strange to have an emotional attachment to a firearm but, they do bring back a set of memories. My guns never remind me of when I shot badly, when they malfunctioned or anything like that. They remind me that perservence means they shoot better. They also remind me that each has a definite purpose, whether or not I choose to indulge that purpose.

I could sell them but, just don't want to.

Ron

joatmon
07-31-2011, 09:47 PM
I have sold a few firearms in my time. Don't really miss any of them.

Your still too young, wait till your 50!:groner:

Aaron

PatMarlin
07-31-2011, 11:02 PM
These are probably the only safe queens I have ever owned and I sold them for an obscene profit:

http://www.westcoastminisplitter.com/WInchesterSet.html

I sometimes regret it, only because they were so pretty. I didn't need the money at the time. I couldn't shoot them. I never really cherished them. I cherish many of my other shooters much more though not nearly as valuable.

I could never sell anything I own currently.

Is this sick behavior? ...:mrgreen:

mpbarry1
07-31-2011, 11:10 PM
I could never sell anything I own currently.

Is this sick behavior? ...:mrgreen:[/QUOTE]

I've never actually sold a gun. Two safes full and I only shoot about 10 of them. You're way healthier than that..... :)