PDA

View Full Version : Jon-e hand Warmer Usage

scrapcan
01-14-2007, 05:40 PM
Hi all,

I have been going through some stuff that was given to me 20 years ago and found 2 of these. It has been about half as long since I have used them. anybody else use them? Anybody got a set of instructions?

i did a search and it looks like outers is now tte marketer/maker. No instructions on their site. I did find another site that had a lttle info. It also looks like ZIPPO is making a smaller version currently.

I just thought it would be interesting to see what others have to say about the old standby.

Duckiller
01-14-2007, 07:04 PM
Fill it full of white gas/ Coleman fuel, put the wick type thingy back on, light it up, put it in its little pouch or wrap up in a wash cloth, keeps you warm all day. At least you can thaw out a hand when deer hunting or ice fishing. They were heavily used while growing up in Michigan. Duckiller

Lee
01-14-2007, 08:21 PM
I've still got mine around here somewhere. Haven't used it in years. I thot you could use lighter fluid? That's about the same as Coleman fuel. Sucker would really warm up a pocket. Never did quite figure out how it ran w/o a steady ample supply of oxygen.....................:)

wills
01-14-2007, 08:22 PM
Appears you can still find them if you look, here is one
http://www.safetycentral.com/jonhanwarac.html

imashooter2
01-14-2007, 11:03 PM
It's been years, but I used them a lot in the Boy Scouts growing up. Instructions called to use lighter fluid and then turn the case upside down and shake it vigorously to ensure there was no liquid fuel to leak out of the case.

Do not just fill it with gas and set fire to it.

imashooter2
01-14-2007, 11:31 PM
As it turns out, I have a half a can of genuine Jon-e Warmer Fluid. There are instructions on the back of the can:

1) Remove the burner. Pour fluid into absorbent in base of Jon-e until saturated.

2) IMPORTANT! (emphasis on the can) Turn upside down and vigorously shake out all excess fluid.

3) Replace burner. Stand warmer on table in draft free room. Ignite red wick. Let it burn for 1 minute.

4) Blow out flame. Replace cover. Allow to stand 4-5 minutes without handling. Place in carrying bag.

scrapcan
01-15-2007, 12:18 AM
I found my empty can of fluid also, the isntructions on it read the same. It was in the box for the large unit. The price on the box which was large enough for the can and the large warmer shows $2.35. Nodate on the box or the price sticker.

Since it has been very cold here (no ice storms though), I thought it was time to talk about things that warm you up.

I also have an old coleman heater that appears to be a catalytic type heater. It is OD green, but no instructions. I have not had it out for a while either, maybe it is a good thing to keep these things close at hand.

scrapcan
01-15-2007, 12:41 AM
i noticed that one of mine is a Peacock hand warmer. Looks like they are still made across the pond.

http://www.peacockhandwarmers.co.uk/use.html

I know the one I have is atleast 20 years old as that is roughly when the guy that gave it to me passed away.

I found some patents while searching that shows a similar catalytic type handwarmer in teh early 1900's, and the particular concept of the Jon-e about 1948.

44man
01-15-2007, 12:57 AM
I still have three of them but haven't needed them here in WV. Coleman fuel works great in them.
I miss the Deer-Coy buck lure they made. I would squeeze some in a scrape and before I got all the way in the stand, there would be a buck in the scrape. It would make a herd of doe's run in from 50 yd's downwind right now. I can't count the deer I arrowed with that stuff and wish I would have bought 5 cases of it. It beats every other deer lure ever made by such a wide margin it should have been illegal.

KevMT
01-18-2007, 11:54 AM
I still have three of them but haven't needed them here in WV. Coleman fuel works great in them.
I miss the Deer-Coy buck lure they made. I would squeeze some in a scrape and before I got all the way in the stand, there would be a buck in the scrape. It would make a herd of doe's run in from 50 yd's downwind right now. I can't count the deer I arrowed with that stuff and wish I would have bought 5 cases of it. It beats every other deer lure ever made by such a wide margin it should have been illegal.

A very generous member of this board mailed me a couple to try here in the bitter Montana winters (occasional -20 F temps). Unfortunatly, they don't seem to stay lit very well for me. I think it may be the high altitude/ low oxygen here at 5000+ feet. I may go back and try the coleman fuel in them.

Kev

scrapcan
01-18-2007, 12:00 PM
KevMT,

I have had the same issue and was one of the reasons for starting this thread. Hpoe someone has some ideas.

mike in co
01-18-2007, 12:36 PM
last time i looked sportsmans wharerhouse still stocks them here in the denver metro area.... i got one sitting right behind me....but have not used it so no answer....

woody1
01-18-2007, 04:11 PM
A very generous member of this board mailed me a couple to try here in the bitter Montana winters (occasional -20 F temps). Unfortunatly, they don't seem to stay lit very well for me. I think it may be the high altitude/ low oxygen here at 5000+ feet. I may go back and try the coleman fuel in them.

Kev

I used mine just a couple days ago and it stayed lit just fine using lighter fluid. I live at 5000 feet. Mebe you need a new wick. Anyone know where they're obtainable? Regards, Woody

44man
01-18-2007, 06:43 PM
They have to be kept in a pocket or they will go out. Too much fuel can also put them out. They are very touchy but once you learn how to work them, they are very nice.

corvette8n
01-19-2007, 02:01 PM
Mine seems to run fine on lighter fluid
I have a Wally world one pretty flimsy,
bought my Dad one from Cabelas genny Joni
both work with Ronson fluid

slughammer
01-19-2007, 04:32 PM
I dug mine up today after 23 some years of non-use. Actually that could be longer if you include the manufacturing process and how long it sat on the store shelf, because I never remember it actually working. Perhaps it seemed like a good idea at the time to buy it, but after realizing the smell it gave off I never carried it hunting. :violin:

But today I decided it would be nice for trips to the range in the cold weather so I dug it up. Yup, looked brand new; not a scratch and the red cloth bag was still clean and bright red. I filled it with some Ronson lighter fluid that was on the shelf and tried lighting it in the garage so I could go out and burn the trash. Just didn’t seem to work though. After I was done outside I tried a few more attempts to light it, but the flame kept going out so I set it on the metal workbench and went in the house to make some rice. While in the process of making rice, I needed to log into the forum and check on some pointers for making the rice and while logged in, I also read the directions in this thread. :idea:

After reading the directions I figured that I would give the hand warmer another chance. I had been in the house for almost 2 hours when I came out to try the proper process for lighting the hand warmer. I picked up the idle hand warmer and found it was working fine!! Apparently you need to leave it set in the garage and go in the house to make some rice. Well, looks like the cold weather is heading this way, I’m off for some white gas and then to the Chinese market for a 50lb bag of rice. :-) [smilie=w:

imashooter2
01-19-2007, 07:29 PM
Everyone realizes there is a difference between white gas (Naptha) and gasoline right?

I'd hate to see anyone get hurt...

slughammer
01-19-2007, 09:42 PM
Everyone realizes there is a difference between white gas (Naptha) and gasoline right?

I'd hate to see anyone get hurt...

Sure, I know the difference between white gas and gasoline. White gas cost $3.96 + tax. Gasoline was $2.27 today at the pump. I don't know about getting hurt, I'm pretty sure with the amount used, that even I can afford the white gas. :-)

scrapcan
01-20-2007, 01:41 PM
Just wanted to say that in the past the ones I have have been used alot at 6000ft elevation all the way up to 10,000 plus. I seem to be having some trouble after they have set idel for so many years keeping them operating in the bag. Does the catalyst get in a state of sooting or need replacement over time?

Parts for the Jon-e are available form outers or outers distributors. In the case of Sportsman's Warehouse if they sell the unit they probably sell the parts. The peacock brand unit mentioned earlier has parts available also.

Need more info on the use of Coleman fuel. Is coleman fuel actually naptha or is it a blend? Has anyone seen the msds for coleman fuel, Jon-e brand fuel, Ronson lighter fuel? Just wondering if they are the same chemical mix or if this could be the problem I am having. I have a can of zippo lighter fluid and it is a synthetic, it works.

And the mention of the handwarmer in the pocket on the way to the range was one thought. But We also have horses and like to spend time in the barn, this makes it much more bearable when we are below zero. The barn keeps the wind off and the handwarmer keeps the fingers nimble.

Anyway nice to see others use still.

scrapcan
01-22-2007, 12:00 PM
I had a chance to look at the Jon-e warmer yesterday and it looks like the cotton filler had compacted. I pulle dit up and fluffed a bit and filled the warmer. Started it up and it works better than it had. I was condering if it allowed more capillary action to move fuel to the catalyst?

Anyway it may be something to try if things are not working as designed.

Jim B
12-20-2008, 01:43 AM
Guys,

Here ya go:

Hand warmer fluid. Without getting technical.
V,M&P Naphtha; Naphtha, White Gas, Ronsinol, Zippo Fluid, Jon-E hand warmer fluid. Coleman fuel ETC>... Almost all the same.

Here is the catch... Jon-E, and Coleman make fluid that is specifically designed for Catalysts. This means that the naphtha has been made to eliminate specific components that can ruin the catalytic action of the warmer. That being said, Zippo premium is also OK. Not to say the others won't work. Just a little caution statement...

Now the skinny. I have used them all. The best? Jon-E, Zippo, Coleman Lantern Fluid. Someone wrote: " Jon-E fluid might be formulated differently and not burn as hot as Coleman fuel” I would have to agree somewhat. V,M&P Naphtha has more odor.

Now for the legal stuff. Jon-E Company states that you should not use Coleman fluid because it may get hotter and become unsafe.

Let's see, 16oz for $6 or 164 for $9

DO NOT PLAY WITH the CATALYST. You will knock the platinum off.

Operating Hints (Instructions) :

Fill base. Jon-E says 1.7 oz standard and 2.7 oz. for the Giant. I think that is too much. Maybe 1.25oz and 2 is just right and not overfilled.

Heater is not working right?

First fill it. Now, worried it may be over filled, take it upside down and give it 2-4 sharp slings... to get out excess fluid.
Second, make sure wick is not touching element, close good... light, standing up, leave in draft free space for about 1 min.

Second: Blow it out, put cover on, slip cloth cover over bottom and stand back up.

Third: LEAVE IT ALONE TO GET NICE AND HOT FOR 5 MIN!!!!!!!! THIS IS THE SECRET!!!!! If it is too full it will go out in this time because the liquid will expand and quench the catalyst.

Fourth: after 5 min, slip cover the rest of way up warmer, and cinch sack slightly so warmer does not fall out. The mfg. states to put in cover with gloved hand. Your choice.

Fifth: It’s ready... DO not expect a pocket of a coat that does not breathe to provide any air for the warmer. If you can’t breathe through it for more than a minute then do not expect the warmer to. It needs air to keep lit. Keep the pocket open or propped open. Same thing goes for under your coat. I use a piece of coat hanger wire to prop my coat pocket open ( kind of like a wire formed bowl, oval at bottom, wire running up one side of pocket and oval at top, I am able to bend wire so that the warmer gets air but snow dirt etc. does not fill pocket.

Now for the latest scoop.

I have had Jon-e warmers for about 30 years. This year I bought a Zippo. WOW. Expensive but........ Well worth the cost. Use the filler, put cap back on, expose the catalyst to your lighter for about 20 seconds and put lid on slip in bag and done. I do not know why but the Zippo is so much more reliable... Not as hot though...
The Zippo in the bag is just pleasant. Out of the bag on a cold day it is just enough to warm hands, not as hot as the Jon-E. Some trade-off.

Oh yeah, a little factoid... IF your catalyst is black, you are not lighting it correctly, drafty area or the flame is licking the cat and depositing soot. To fix: Light as usual except do not put cover or cloth on, leave in a ashtray and let it get smoking hot and cook off the soot.

If she still will not stay lit and you have carefully followed this info. Call Jon-e. They are a good company they are Outers Guncare. http://www.outers-guncare.com Tell them your problem. They may send you a new catalyst. Or you can buy one on e-bay or check your local sporting goods store for a replacement catalyst.

If you pour fluid onto your catalyst you are going to remove the catalytic material from the cat. Take the cat off the base to fill.

Also: give it a tune up. After you have lit it and it has burned for 10 min take it in the dark, remove the cover with a gloved hand and inspect the cat... you should see a nice even warm red glow. if there are dark spots use a tiny screwdriver and re-position the cat so that it is getting enough air or fuel vapor to make the whole thing burn cherry red.

Jon-e says if the bar above the cat is bent down, it will act up. I agree, the cat seems to work well with some air gap between the cat element and the metal retainer.

I read somewhere that someone stated they fluffed up the cotton packing in the warmer base. DO NOT DO THIS. The packing should be even with the top of the warmers shoulder. about 1/8" or a little more below the opening for the cat.

It does not work by wicking. It works by vaporization. This occurs when the warmer base transfers heat to the fluid in the warmer base to slightly above its vaporization temperature and the naphtha begins to evaporate. The hole in the top of the warmer base is the only place to go; so out the vapors go right into the catalyst...

Learning how much to close the cinch:

I would say start for the first 30 min or until it is too hot for you at mostly open. Then start drawing the bag tighter and wait 10 minutes then repeat till you get it cool enough for your needs. Likewise, too cool and not out, you can open her back up all the way and in about 10 min she is stoked...

My little Jon-e will last about 8-14 hours. My giant will last about 24 to 30. I will leave it in cup holder of my truck at night and it is still toasty in AM.
The Zippo will almost make it 24 hours. I will fill in AM and in AM it will be warm but out.

I hope this gets me my Doctoral thesis on Catalytic hand warmers. I have the same for the catalytic space heaters Coleman sold in the 50's through the 80's.

waksupi
12-20-2008, 03:54 AM
JimB, welcome aboard, and thanks for some timely information. I see this topic started back in '07, and I know we had a few other threads on this subject in the past. Ice fishing is just around the corner, as is varmint hunting, and I'm sure many will benefit from your input. You, sir, brought good info, that I do not believe has been posted before! Thank you!

EMC45
12-20-2008, 09:23 AM
Wow haven't seen one of these since I lived up north. The ones I saw had a red velvet sack they went in. A lot of folks I knew had them.

Morgan Astorbilt
12-20-2008, 09:32 AM
Back when you had to use "white gas" for outboard motors and Coleman lamps, the only one around(New York), was AMOCO premium. This was gasoline without the lead, I believe, and was clear as water. So I don't think "white gas" is naptha. All lighter fluids though, ARE naptha.
Morgan

2muchstuf
12-20-2008, 10:33 AM
This thread has inspired me to look for my Jon-e.
Only took about five min. Can you imagine finding something so fast that hasn't been seen for so long.
It looks almost NIB, burner is blackened on wick side, box is age cracked, bag like new, instructions are almost perfect.
prices are as follows:
8 oz. fluid .59
16oz. .95
burners sm. $1.50 lg. $2.00
DEER-COY $2.00

I believe this unit to be at least 30 years old. Was never used too hard. Had an older one but if I rember right was trashed in the '70s
2[smilie=s:

NSP64
12-20-2008, 10:52 AM
Ahhh the memories. That Jon-e used to get so hot. Now adays you use those rip open air activated ones from the store that get warm. I have noticed that the smaller hand size (if you fluff it in your pocket) will get pretty hot. As a side bar, I was hunting earlier this season and using the new heaters, when I stopped by wallyworld, on the way home, they were out. So when I got home I took the pouches and sealed them in a ziplock bag(squeeze out the air) and they 'went out'. Next day I took the pouches out of the ziplock and fluffed them up, they started producing heat again. Most the time I was using a 10hr heater for 4 hrs, then just letting them wear themselves out. Now I reuse them as much as I can.

smokemjoe
12-20-2008, 11:27 PM
If you didnt get burned from it why you would get burned from the fuel leaking out on your leg.

Heavy lead
12-20-2008, 11:39 PM
Zippo lighter fluid burns your leg if it soaks through your britches.

scrapcan
12-22-2008, 12:26 PM
Jim B,

Thanks for the treatise, it will be referred to and a copy will go in the travel bag with the spare that goes with me when I travel this time of year. And how about posting the info for the big catalytic heaters and a picture of the heater.

thewanderingmind
12-29-2008, 11:08 AM
I remember these things from when I was a 12-year-old trying to sell "Grit" newspapers all around my little Minnesota hometown. One of the prizes you could get from "Grit" was the set of two Jon-E handwarmers with a cloth belt. You put the lit warmers in the pockets of the belt and fastened them over your kidneys. Supposedly, the blood circulation would keep you warm in the coldest weather. Well, if your coat didn't fit tight enough to keep out the wind, they might have... Unfortunately, riding a bicycle pulled the jacket tight across your back. About the time you'd ridden to the far side of town, the darned things would go out from lack of oxygen. And the matches were at home. So, you'd ride around freezing all day, and eventually have to take them off because the cold metal was conveying ice to your kidneys...

I gave them to my cousin on the farm... He'd wear them out to the milk barn in the morning with his old barn coat on, and claimed they worked just fine through the milking the 40+ cows they had...

Dan Cash
01-14-2009, 09:34 AM
Fuel is voporized by heat of compustion and the catalytic burner consumes the vopors. These buggers are tempermental but when you get them to work, they are wonderful. I like to use mine under my coat as the heat is trapped and it feels so good. I never noticed the fumes running any game off but sometimes it comes close to choking me so I just toughen up. I have used gasoline in them but be darned careful as that stuff can get out of control during the initial burn; I like lighter fluid much better.

One word of caution; don't ever sleep with one. It WILL burn the heck out of you.

Plain Base
01-28-2009, 01:01 AM
Thanks for the great post Jim B. I've had my little Johnny for a couple years and have never been able to keep it lit once I place it in the sack. I let it get almost too hot to hold first, then even with the top wide open it'll starve for oxygen. I'll call the company tomorrow and see if they'll send me another catalyst.

Suo Gan
02-02-2009, 05:10 AM
Jim B. super post! I can't see how anyone could have said it better. I am going to try to get mine going again, as I had given up on it years ago. Thanks

ol flatlander
11-20-2011, 05:44 PM
Guys,

Here ya go:

Hand warmer fluid. Without getting technical.
V,M&P Naphtha; Naphtha, White Gas, Ronsinol, Zippo Fluid, Jon-E hand warmer fluid. Coleman fuel ETC>... Almost all the same.

Here is the catch... Jon-E, and Coleman make fluid that is specifically designed for Catalysts. This means that the naphtha has been made to eliminate specific components that can ruin the catalytic action of the warmer. That being said, Zippo premium is also OK. Not to say the others won't work. Just a little caution statement...

Now the skinny. I have used them all. The best? Jon-E, Zippo, Coleman Lantern Fluid. Someone wrote: " Jon-E fluid might be formulated differently and not burn as hot as Coleman fuel” I would have to agree somewhat. V,M&P Naphtha has more odor.

Now for the legal stuff. Jon-E Company states that you should not use Coleman fluid because it may get hotter and become unsafe.

Let's see, 16oz for $6 or 164 for $9

DO NOT PLAY WITH the CATALYST. You will knock the platinum off.

Operating Hints (Instructions) :

Fill base. Jon-E says 1.7 oz standard and 2.7 oz. for the Giant. I think that is too much. Maybe 1.25oz and 2 is just right and not overfilled.

Heater is not working right?

First fill it. Now, worried it may be over filled, take it upside down and give it 2-4 sharp slings... to get out excess fluid.
Second, make sure wick is not touching element, close good... light, standing up, leave in draft free space for about 1 min.

Second: Blow it out, put cover on, slip cloth cover over bottom and stand back up.

Third: LEAVE IT ALONE TO GET NICE AND HOT FOR 5 MIN!!!!!!!! THIS IS THE SECRET!!!!! If it is too full it will go out in this time because the liquid will expand and quench the catalyst.

Fourth: after 5 min, slip cover the rest of way up warmer, and cinch sack slightly so warmer does not fall out. The mfg. states to put in cover with gloved hand. Your choice.

Fifth: It’s ready... DO not expect a pocket of a coat that does not breathe to provide any air for the warmer. If you can’t breathe through it for more than a minute then do not expect the warmer to. It needs air to keep lit. Keep the pocket open or propped open. Same thing goes for under your coat. I use a piece of coat hanger wire to prop my coat pocket open ( kind of like a wire formed bowl, oval at bottom, wire running up one side of pocket and oval at top, I am able to bend wire so that the warmer gets air but snow dirt etc. does not fill pocket.

Now for the latest scoop.

I have had Jon-e warmers for about 30 years. This year I bought a Zippo. WOW. Expensive but........ Well worth the cost. Use the filler, put cap back on, expose the catalyst to your lighter for about 20 seconds and put lid on slip in bag and done. I do not know why but the Zippo is so much more reliable... Not as hot though...
The Zippo in the bag is just pleasant. Out of the bag on a cold day it is just enough to warm hands, not as hot as the Jon-E. Some trade-off.

Oh yeah, a little factoid... IF your catalyst is black, you are not lighting it correctly, drafty area or the flame is licking the cat and depositing soot. To fix: Light as usual except do not put cover or cloth on, leave in a ashtray and let it get smoking hot and cook off the soot.

If she still will not stay lit and you have carefully followed this info. Call Jon-e. They are a good company they are Outers Guncare. http://www.outers-guncare.com Tell them your problem. They may send you a new catalyst. Or you can buy one on e-bay or check your local sporting goods store for a replacement catalyst.

If you pour fluid onto your catalyst you are going to remove the catalytic material from the cat. Take the cat off the base to fill.

Also: give it a tune up. After you have lit it and it has burned for 10 min take it in the dark, remove the cover with a gloved hand and inspect the cat... you should see a nice even warm red glow. if there are dark spots use a tiny screwdriver and re-position the cat so that it is getting enough air or fuel vapor to make the whole thing burn cherry red.

Jon-e says if the bar above the cat is bent down, it will act up. I agree, the cat seems to work well with some air gap between the cat element and the metal retainer.

I read somewhere that someone stated they fluffed up the cotton packing in the warmer base. DO NOT DO THIS. The packing should be even with the top of the warmers shoulder. about 1/8" or a little more below the opening for the cat.

It does not work by wicking. It works by vaporization. This occurs when the warmer base transfers heat to the fluid in the warmer base to slightly above its vaporization temperature and the naphtha begins to evaporate. The hole in the top of the warmer base is the only place to go; so out the vapors go right into the catalyst...

Learning how much to close the cinch:

I would say start for the first 30 min or until it is too hot for you at mostly open. Then start drawing the bag tighter and wait 10 minutes then repeat till you get it cool enough for your needs. Likewise, too cool and not out, you can open her back up all the way and in about 10 min she is stoked...

My little Jon-e will last about 8-14 hours. My giant will last about 24 to 30. I will leave it in cup holder of my truck at night and it is still toasty in AM.
The Zippo will almost make it 24 hours. I will fill in AM and in AM it will be warm but out.

I hope this gets me my Doctoral thesis on Catalytic hand warmers. I have the same for the catalytic space heaters Coleman sold in the 50's through the 80's.

Jim B: Thanks for this good info I have been looking for some guidance on my liquid fuel hand warmer so thanks very much, also I too have two of the coleman liquid fuel heaters and one has a fouled head I think. So I will vote for hearing from you on this as well. Have a great day!

W.R.Buchanan
11-24-2011, 06:19 PM
I actually have 4 of these that I used when I was a Millwright doing Turbine overhauls on the coast during rainy February's... 30 years ago.

Still have them and they are in my survival bugout bag, but haven't actually fired them in years.

Mine are Optimus brand and what's cool about these is they have a throttle. (the red thing inside the top cover is screwed up and down by the wood knob on the lid.) With the choke all the way open they will flat run you out, I always choked mine down below 50% and they would run for 16 hours on one filling. You could also choke them all the way out, which I don't think you can do with the other brands. If you got too hot you just turned them down or off and then you could restart later with just a Zippo lighter or a wooden match to start. You only have to heat the catalyst for about 15-20 seconds to get it going, but you did have to have the throttles open wide, then you could choke them down after the burn was established.

I always used Ronson Lighter fluid, never even thought about using anything else. I ran these devices for 5-6 years, anytime I was on Night Shift. Really came in handy when I was stuck in the toolcrib just freezing my butt. No activity.

I generally wore jeans with longies and a tee shirt, heavy flannel shirt, Carhart vest and Carhart coat and gloves. I ran two of these in the pockets of the vest, and added the other two in a belt over my Kidneys. Putting them over your kidneys heats your blood so your extremities don't get cold. Jon-ee actually sold a belt to do this, I had my mother make mine out of denim. I only ran the extra 2 when it was in the twenties, and the wind was blowing off the ocean. The bags for them look new, the one in the pic is very worn.

I was always very comfortable and the throttle function made these units (which are the same size as the Large Jon-ee ones) run for a complete 12 hour shift plus 2 hours on either side, and still have fuel left enough to start the next night. I never filled them really full as the fluid would put the cat out just two or three good squirts would run the full night. You did have to watch elevation changes as the lighter fluid cans would pressure up as you went up in altitude and leak all over stuff if you didn't pay attention to them.

I loved these things and they are right next to my Coleman Lanterns and Stoves in my prized possessions collection.

I always wondered why all of the Canuks don't use these in a deer stand. I wonder if deer can smell them? A can of Ronsonol will last for weeks easily. You could definately stay the night if you had to. They work that good. With 4 of them I could keep me and my wife warm in a car in a blizzard easily. Hence included in the bugout bag.

Randy

plmitch
11-24-2011, 07:26 PM
Wow I forgot all about these things. I haven’t used one since I was a kid going ice fishing with my Dad. Think I might still have one sitting in a box somewhere. They work great.

DrBill33
11-26-2011, 07:53 PM
Have used them for (literally) Decades. The last time that I need J-fuel, I found some at Cabelas. On a cold day the handwarmers keep the fingers from freezing, and the kidney warmers keep one from leaking in the cold!

white eagle
11-26-2011, 10:13 PM
is there an odor using them ??

PatMarlin
11-26-2011, 11:32 PM
Never used them, but want some now!

nicholst55
11-27-2011, 04:27 AM
I never had one; always use the chemical hand warmers. I toss one of the small ones inside each boot blanket, and one in each pocket (or glove). Roasty-toasty toes and fingers!

imashooter2
11-27-2011, 08:32 AM
is there an odor using them ??

Yes. Slight, but it's there.

P.K.
11-27-2011, 08:55 AM
Leave it to a "Maniac" to drag this one BTTT. ;-) I used one many a time while stepping away from the fire to go reset the tip-ups. Worked great warming the hands after dipping the minnow's and setting hooks. ;-)