PDA

View Full Version : lead cast???

rmcc
07-27-2011, 11:00 PM
I have a question about "quenching" in water. I have had good luck casting bullets for my 45's and 38 Spl. I load them at starting load velocities as they are just for plinking. I am now going to try 9mm and since these will be loaded at a higher velocity, I am afraid of stripping. I am casting a 50/50 fix of sheet lead and WW. Am dropping into water direct from mold. How much harder does this make bullets than air dropping bullets on a towel?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Rich

onondaga
07-27-2011, 11:56 PM
Rich, if the wheel weight alloy you are mixing with sheet lead is from clip on wheel weights then water dropping will bring your hardness up 5 or more points on the BHN scale. If the wheel weight alloy is from stick on wheel weights you will gain little to no hardness by water dropping.

Gary

rmcc
07-27-2011, 11:58 PM
It is the clip on type. Thanks, Gary!!

mold maker
07-28-2011, 08:54 AM
The other advantage of water dropping, is they harden imadiately instead of taking weeks.

Jon
07-28-2011, 03:38 PM
I water drop so they will cool faster. My lead seems hard enough for the 45 and 38's that I load. You should be fine with a 9mm. If you're shooting full power 357 Mag, you may need to check the hardness.